Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Money spent on players in promotion push

wurzelgull

Apr 1, 2016
I've noticed that there has been the odd snipe at us this season from other fans that we have simply spent our way to our current success. Whilst we do have a very generous owner, I would consider this pretty unfair as our transfer dealings have typically been shrewd rather than a case of spending millions and millions.

If we go up, does anyone know how much we will have spent in our promotion push (perhaps last couple of seasons) compared to other teams that have gone up previously? Obviously Newcastle have outspent us this year by a country mile with their parachute payments...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I put it down to jealousy. Other fans see headlines like Brighton losses £25M, without realising that isn't the FFP expenditure. It's their excuse for us doing so well.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I've noticed that there has been the odd snipe at us this season from other fans that we have simply spent our way to our current success. Whilst we do have a very generous owner, I would consider this pretty unfair as our transfer dealings have typically been shrewd rather than a case of spending millions and millions.

If we go up, does anyone know how much we will have spent in our promotion push (perhaps last couple of seasons) compared to other teams that have gone up previously? Obviously Newcastle have outspent us this year by a country mile with their parachute payments...

Newcastle spent more* on players this summer, than the Albion have in their entire 116 year HISTORY.

*actual fees paid - they'd (rightly) argue that their NET spend was much lower...

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
IMG_20170122_212515.jpgIMG_20170122_212515.jpg

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The above figures are slightly out dated and a bit debatable. Still gives you a rough idea though.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Lifted from another football forum. I can post link if you really want

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Last season the Albion spent £9.1 million signing players (Manu, BFG, Skalak, Murphy, Knockaert, Bjordal, Hemed, Goldson, Towell, Harper etc.)

Boro spent the same amount on one player.

wurzelgull

Apr 1, 2016
Newcastle spent more* on players this summer, than the Albion have in their entire 116 year HISTORY.

*actual fees paid - they'd (rightly) argue that their NET spend was much lower...

This is madness. What about Boro / Burnley last season? I guess Rhodes at 9million was more than our entire spend for the year, and possibly last year, too?

Edit- ah thanks El Prez!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Surely with Newcastle you need to look at the net result? They spent big, but received huge amounts in transfer fees for players they sold.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Last season the Albion spent £9.1 million signing players (Manu, BFG, Skalak, Murphy, Knockaert, Bjordal, Hemed, Goldson, Towell, Harper etc.)

Boro spent the same amount on one player.

And most of that was thanks to the sale of Ulloa and I believe Buckley?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And most of that was thanks to the sale of Ulloa and I believe Buckley?

I'm not sure. Ulloa was sold a full year before those signings were made, and he was replaced by Chris O'Grady in the 2014/15 accounts.

We did receive a million in 2015/16 due to Leicester managing to scrape past being relegated.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just slightly over what we got for Ulloa then, out of the profit not Blooms wallet?

I think you are oversimplyfying things. You are ignoring the increase in the wage bill from £20m to £27m that arose as a result of signing all those players.

Albion Wages 2016 (2).PNG

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think you are oversimplyfying things. You are ignoring the increase in the wage bill from £20m to £27m that arose as a result of signing all those players.

View attachment 81610

Yes I am simplifying things with regard to profit/loss on player sales and purchases. Ulloa gave us a set amount of spending power that was relative to his sale?

Didn't Poyet say that Bloom had a pot for player purchases and a pot for wages?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here