Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BARNSLEY. What on earth are they doing?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Imagine for one moment, you're a lifelong fan of Barnsley. Putting aside all the whippets / flat caps / outside toilets stuff - you're a devoted supporter of a proper local football club - no delusions about your place in football's pecking order, but the same hopes and dreams as fans all over the nation.

Given their place in that food chain, you'd say that a top half Championship finish would be a very good result for the Tykes. But here they are, this season, under an unheralded, young, local manager, in position to make a genuine stab at a play-off place - as I write, sat just two places and a mere four points behind sixth spot. Get themselves into the end of season knock-out, and they've a CHANCE of a fantastical Premier League place - something that could utterly transform the club for years - possibly decades - to come.

How do you feel as a fan, (or as that young manager) that the board's response to this situation, is to sell, not just one, but all three of your side's best players?

Top scorer Sam Winnall has gone, for no more than loose change - to rub salt into Tykes' wounds - to a hated local rival. Coveted young defender James Bree has gone - to Aston Villa for a couple of million. Before the month is out, star man Connor Hourihane will have followed them - also to Villa most likely. Losing all three is painful enough - for all three to move to clubs rivaling your own for those play-off spots is a proper kick in the teeth. Enough to make you question your board's ambition, and ask yourself what the point is.

I'd LOVE it if they were to prove me wrong, kick on and get sixth place. They couldn't be making it any harder for themselves, though.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hourihane has been offered £30,000 a week by Villa, it's ten times his current wage. Can't blame him for leaving.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
How long did those players have left on their contracts?

Yeah, I think that's the reason, they're out of contract soon and won't sign a new one, so the club are cashing in. We know how expensive this league is so selling players is the only way to make ends meet, unless you have a sugar daddy or parachute payments.

Keping them all for a stab at the play-offs - would have been a risk, I guess they are closer now than they were when Winnall was sold, so I do feel for their fans

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Maybe they need the money? Not all clubs have a Tony.

Hourihane has been offered £30,000 a week by Villa, it's ten times his current wage. Can't blame him for leaving.

How long did those players have left on their contracts?

Yeah, I think that's the reason, they're out of contract soon and won't sign a new one, so the club are cashing in. We know how expensive this league is so selling players is the only way to make ends meet, unless you have a sugar daddy or parachute payments.

Keping them all for a stab at the play-offs - would have been a risk, I guess they are closer now than they were when Winnall was sold, so I do feel for their fans

Yep, all three out of contract in the summer

Absolutely, this will be the board's (understandable) thinking.

Doesn't make it much easier to take though, as a fan of the club.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
They certainly seem to be punching above their weight - had a great start but then around the time they played us at the Amex went on a run of 5 defeats in six and I expected them to fall away as I did Huddersfield.

But they've got themselves into a good position to get into the playoffs despite the sale of their young talent. They seem to be replacing those sold but only time will tell if they can continue the challenge. Great spirit at the club in times of adversity might just get them there - and would surprise a lot of people.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You have to wonder how long there manager will stick around now.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
They certainly seem to be punching above their weight - had a great start but then around the time they played us at the Amex went on a run of 5 defeats in six and I expected them to fall away as I did Huddersfield.

But they've got themselves into a good position to get into the playoffs despite the sale of their young talent. They seem to be replacing those sold but only time will tell if they can continue the challenge. Great spirit at the club in times of adversity might just get them there - and would surprise a lot of people.

They've just signed Matty James on loan for the rest of the season, to try to replace Hourihane. Good player but hasn't played much football in the last year.

Extending Adam Armstrong's loan is good business too.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

Would be great if they could do it, would be nice if there was a bit of chicken-fodder in the prem next year rather than a Leeds or Villa following us up and strengthening hugely

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
They are dealing with the stark realities of life in the top half of the Championship.

To have a realistic tilt at getting up requires very deep pockets to fund massive losses for a year or two if you are lucky (e.g. Bournemouth) or possibly many years if you are not (e.g. us).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

Should probably be more pissed off at the players for not staying, or not signing contracts so they get a bigger fee in the summer, rather than at the board who have clearly done a great job in getting these talents through at the club. Bree is a top player.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

True, but the board are between a rock and a hard place.

Keep the players , have a tilt at the playoffs and if it does not work out (and it's unlikely TBH) lose them for nothing in the summer, OR

Sell them, bank the £4-5 million and use this to consolidate the club in the Championship for a few years. Looking at their last accounts turnover was only £4.8 million for the season, and they made a profit on player sales of £60k, which contributed little to the overall loss of £2.9 million. I'd be gutted as a Barnsley fan, but realistically a play off position is possible rather than probable.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We don't have a great track record at Barnsley never seen us win there.

The 4-1 TONKING we took in the League Cup in 1980/81 was one of my lowest moments during the top flight years. The locals didn't take too kindly to southerners either.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
True, but the board are between a rock and a hard place.

Keep the players , have a tilt at the playoffs and if it does not work out (and it's unlikely TBH) lose them for nothing in the summer, OR

Sell them, bank the £4-5 million and use this to consolidate the club in the Championship for a few years. Looking at their last accounts turnover was only £4.8 million for the season, and they made a profit on player sales of £60k, which contributed little to the overall loss of £2.9 million. I'd be gutted as a Barnsley fan, but realistically a play off position is possible rather than probable.

They were never going to make the play offs when they have Fulham and Derby ahead of them trying to sneak in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here