Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

U23 / Development Squad

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Simple question.

Why don't we have a striker good enough to take a place on the bench when we only have one striker? What message does it send to them to not promote one to squad when you only have one available striker?

Just asking like.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Simple question.

Why don't we have a striker good enough to take a place on the bench when we only have one striker? What message does it send to them to not promote one to squad when you only have one available striker?

Just asking like.

We started the season with two strikers in the development squad. Vahid Hambo hasn't played all season due to injury and Jonah Ayunga completely failed to impress in 15 appearances at Ryman Premier Burgess Hill (according to fans on here who saw him play). Which one of those two would you have liked to have seen on the bench yesterday?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Because we haven't got any capable of making the step up? I think you'd already worked that one out though.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
We started the season with two strikers in the development squad. Vahid Hambo hasn't played all season due to injury and Jonah Ayunga completely failed to impress in 15 appearances at Ryman Premier Burgess Hill (according to fans on here who saw him play). Which one of those two would you have liked to have seen on the bench yesterday?

Chucky, be careful as I think this is a trick question.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
We started the season with two strikers in the development squad. Vahid Hambo hasn't played all season due to injury and Jonah Ayunga completely failed to impress in 15 appearances at Ryman Premier Burgess Hill (according to fans on here who saw him play). Which one of those two would you have liked to have seen on the bench yesterday?[/QUOTE

There are surely others? Tilly? The Scandinavian chap?????? I've only seen them once so unsure of what they have hence asking the question?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why? It's an under 23 squad. If your not good enough at 23. You never will be.

True, we need to break this record of not producing any quality strikers ourselves. It's been going on for decades. Centre backs we excel at.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
True, we need to break this record of not producing any quality strikers ourselves. It's been going on for decades. Centre backs we excel at.

We seem to good at picking up defenders but hopeless at strikers? Are all our scouts defenders?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We started the season with two strikers in the development squad. Vahid Hambo hasn't played all season due to injury and Jonah Ayunga completely failed to impress...

not really addressed the question, only higlighted the depth of the problem.

though i dont think its an easy thing to solve and we arent unique in this problem. some clubs dont even have two goal decent forwards in the first team.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
There are surely others? Tilly? The Scandinavian chap?????? I've only seen them once so unsure of what they have hence asking the question?

Neither Tilley nor Bjordal (if that is who you mean) are out-and-out strikers. Tilley has only a few minutes of first team experience.

Unfortunately, player development is an inexact science, isn't it? No-one could have foreseen that 18 months into his Albion career, Hambo would only have made two starts due to injury.

There are two promising youngsters coming through in Aaron Connolly (1st year scholar) and Danny Cashman (U-16), but don't go expecting them to be playing in the first team anytime soon.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Because we haven't got any capable of making the step up? I think you'd already worked that one out though.

It's going to have to change,and it will,historically we produce fantastic defense minded players,the occasional midfielder,that is a reflection of our struggles,now we branching out,the likes of Solly, hopefully are just the start.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
On that note why have we had Rob Hunt on the bench for the last couple of games but have played Goldson at RB.
Goldson due to no fault of his own was like a duck out of water at RB.
What message does that send to a player that he is good enough to play in the F.A cup but not good enough for the league.Especially as we have just signed a FB on loan from chelsea who is younger than he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
On that note why have we had Rob Hunt on the bench for the last couple of games but have played Goldson at RB.
Goldson due to no fault of his own was like a duck out of water at RB.
What message does that send to a player that he is good enough to play in the F.A cup but not good enough for the league.Especially as we have just signed a FB on loan from chelsea who is younger than he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree and would have preferred Hunt but feel that Hughton is playing Goldson to keep him happy after his performances last season and him having to sit out most of this.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I thought Towell put in a good shift as a number 10 against the Dongs so was quite surprised he didn't get a chance Tuesday.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
I thought Towell put in a good shift as a number 10 against the Dongs so was quite surprised he didn't get a chance Tuesday.
I fully expect him to start on the weekend.

What exactly is wrong with Hambo... can anyone fill us in here?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Jonah Ayunta has gone to Sligo Rovers on a year long loan till next January
He was picked up for the Kenyan team in qualification for the African Nations Cup (that could be because of the scarcity of Kenyan players though as I'm not sure that they're that strong a team) but didn't play because of some passport problem I believe

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Neither Tilley nor Bjordal (if that is who you mean) are out-and-out strikers. Tilley has only a few minutes of first team experience.

Unfortunately, player development is an inexact science, isn't it? No-one could have foreseen that 18 months into his Albion career, Hambo would only have made two starts due to injury.

There are two promising youngsters coming through in Aaron Connolly (1st year scholar) and Danny Cashman (U-16), but don't go expecting them to be playing in the first team anytime soon.

What are your thoughts on Jordon Maguire-Drew ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here