Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Spat at and punched' - Young referee calls for strike

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
It's only one week of fixtures, so I don't think it's a particularly big price to get a point across. Doubt it would make any difference though.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not sure the strike in itself will achieve too much.

There does however need to be a complete change where referees are respected and not subject to such incidents

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Part of the problem is the ineptitude of the professional referees in dealing with dissent. They are too often made to look like idiots by players and fans see that and that then gets replicated on the amateur pitches. And probably the main reason for that is the ineptitude of the FA who have ridiculous programs like 'Respect' which only plays lip service to the problems.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Part of the problem is the ineptitude of the professional referees in dealing with dissent. They are too often made to look like idiots by players and fans see that and that then gets replicated on the amateur pitches. And probably the main reason for that is the ineptitude of the FA who have ridiculous programs like 'Respect' which only plays lip service to the problems.

This. The way some referees are treated is appalling.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's indefensible.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Believe me, the way some grassroots referee treat kids is probably worse...it's not all one way! I am no way condoning the actions of a few numpties, but I know of a fair few referees should be nowhere near a football pitch, let alone in the youth game and only do so to earn £60 on a Sunday.

I've had some great referees this year but the bad ones have been truly truly bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Believe me, the way some grassroots referee treat kids is probably worse...it's not all one way! I am no way condoning the actions of a few numpties, but I know of a fair few referees should be nowhere near a football pitch, let alone in the youth game and only do so to earn £60 on a Sunday.

I've had some great referees this year but the bad ones have been truly truly bad.

I have seen some shocking referees at youth games.
I was watching one of my lads in an under 14s game, an opposition defender hit the ball back to his keeper, " back pass " shouted my sons teams manager, and a few players and parents.
The ref said " no back pass, the defender hit it too hard " :shrug:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
What do people think? I watch a lot of grass-roots football and I think it's appalling how referees, particularly young referees, are treated.

Calling for a strike seems a bit extreme to me though. Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38729016
Totally agree that they are treated appallingly, I've seen grown men behave terribly to young referees who are still schoolboys, to the point where I've felt the need to step in.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011

Refs have to start somewhere and you will always get bad ones. The idea is they learn from their mistakes, like you do as a player. The other option of course would be for the bad ones not to be allowed to ref - then what would happen?

Have you or your peers thought about taking up refereeing? Sounds like you'd be very good...

theboybilly

I used to run our Sunday League team and on a Monday night had to drop our forms etc into a League official. He happened to referee many of our games. We became friends because of this until one Sunday one of our players took his umbrage at decisions too far and stormed into the referee's dressing room after and gave him a bit of a hiding. I was so disgusted I chucked it all in and went to play for another club. Itseems to be even worse today as so many parents can't seem to control themselves

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I play semi professionally myself and also enjoy reffing some mens or youth football on a sunday. I know its cliché but it really really does help if you have played before in being able to understand and manage a game of football

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Attitude to referees at youth level needs to be led by the coach. Games where I have seen "trouble" (And there really hasn't been many) almost entirely stems from the side-lines - the coach sets the tone, the atmosphere and needs to call out poor behavior from their teams parents when it happens. Every team will have a code of conduct and that gives the coach the framework to deal with parents, players and the like. Coaches can often say it is not for them to manage parents, well, I think it is if you see behavior that you don't want your side to be associated with.
People need to be accountable for their own actions - there will be good/bad referees, but like kids playing football, none of them will have set out that morning to have a bad game. Anyone who has had to referee a game or run the line knows just how difficult it is, and therefore having a referee at all is a real bonus for anyone running a team, however good or bad he/she is.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I was watching one of my lads in an under 14s game, an opposition defender hit the ball back to his keeper, " back pass " shouted my sons teams manager, and a few players and parents.

To be fair I have seen that happen loads of times at the Amex and away game, refs never give back pass free kicks anymore, its almost as if the rules have changed.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There is a problem with football that runs from the top to the bottom, referees get little or no respect.

The worst example of this is mini football, pop along to your local park and listen to the parents watching the game, sometimes with a ref who is 15/16 and supported by, normally, two very biased managers / parents running the line. Our game is rotten in this respect, parents and managers encouraging this by their actions and words. A ref makes 100's of decisions per game at the FA Cup Final and the local park, sometimes three or four pundits can't agree on whether it's a penalty, offside etc and we expect some poor lad or lass to get everything right.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

So the referee could have interpreted that the pass was not intentional? ...what happened next? Did everyone just shrug their shoulders and say "Ah well..." ?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I play semi professionally myself and also enjoy reffing some mens or youth football on a sunday. I know its cliché but it really really does help if you have played before in being able to understand and manage a game of football

I too have played a half decent standard, and I disagree. For a while I was Reffing decent level of games, e.g. Kingstonians . Literally its down to the total lack of respect from players knowing they can get away with it. I was spat at once, had ZERO support from our local FA. The only people to help were our local Referees Association.
It comes from the top down about the FA and County FA's being an old boys network who just want to stick their head in the sand.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It comes from the very top. Incidents like Pardew's and Wenger's recently should have resulted in half-season/ season touchline bans.

Dissent in the professional game needs to be dealt with severely and consistently, a month of 8 vs 8 games across the country and the message would get out. Grass roots incidents like this, as disgusting as they are, are only a symptom of wider problem at the top of our game.

Also, I genuinely don't understand why anyone would want to be a referee. Just not worth the aggravation for double the money on offer outside the professional.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You have to remember mate , a key point you mentioned was that its an UNDER 14s game , i want to win as much as the next bloke and try to instil that mentality into my kids , but nothing is worth the way some parents get with both their kids and the refs , its meant to be fun for the kids after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here