Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What it's like to be crap at... I mean always be on loan by Jonathan Obika

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Harsh - although he never set the world alight.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
comes across as a hard working, doing his best to play at the best level he can, challenging himself, and accepting challenges, and doing a job 90% of us would love to have. Not all football players are the worlds greatest, that's why we have 92 clubs in the football league, and many, many more in the huge non league pyramid. Seems a bit unnecessary to label him simply crap, he has a place in the system, otherwise clubs and managers wouldn't keep showing faith in him, and having him play in their teams.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
comes across as a hard working, doing his best to play at the best level he can, challenging himself, and accepting challenges, and doing a job 90% of us would love to have. Not all football players are the worlds greatest, that's why we have 92 clubs in the football league, and many, many more in the huge non league pyramid. Seems a bit unnecessary to label him simply crap, he has a place in the system, otherwise clubs and managers wouldn't keep showing faith in him, and having him play in their teams.

Was about to pen something similar. I would suggest probably 99% of those of us on here would have loved the opportunities to have some sort of career playing football. 22 goals in 78 games isn't a bad return for Swindon.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
He's been pretty decent at Swindon from what I've seen and has scored some pretty good goals as well. I haven't got anything against him. However, the reason the name Jonathan Obika holds negative feelings for me is that it represents the moment where we temporarily stopped looking for real quality in our transfer dealings. That season we had some reasonably decent players, but you never got the impression we were being that careful with who came in. I remember one day looking at the BHAFC twitter page, and the cover pic was an uncomfortably large image of Obika holding a Brighton shirt aloft. Pretty hard to take when very recently we'd been signing the likes of Bridge, Vicente, Ulloa. We needed the kick up the arse the following season provided, as doing it on the cheap was so obviously not going to work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here