Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Self Build Advice

Jonesy

Aug 7, 2011
Hi All,

I have recently been looking into the feasibility of a self-build house. I suspect there are a few on this board with real life experience of a self-build and the issues/ costs involved.

- I have a relatively modest budget (Circa 320k) – what cost would you put on a contemporary new build? Is there likely to be a large sell on benefit? (obviously depending on size etc)
- Where can you find suitable plots of land for sale? Most online sources don’t state the planning status. Is it a big risk to buy a plot of land without planning permission? How long does it take and how difficult can it be to get permission?
- Are there local/government incentives to self-builders?

Thanks in advance for any help.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
You should get professional legal and planning advice prior to buying a site, particularly without planning permission. In most cases it will be difficult to get permission for a single new house in the countryside.

Some larger developments will have an element of self build plots but I'm not aware of any locally.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I built my own house about 15 years ago and by far the most difficult thing is getting the land. I was fortunate, I was even looking but found a dilapidated house on a great plot and took a (educated) punt on planning. I think most agents will have a list of developers they go to immediately if they get something suitable on their books so that will likely be the biggest problem.

If you are fortunate enough to get a plot at the right price the build can not only be extremely satisfying but there are very straightforward ways to put s house up at very reasonable cost. From my experience the real advantage came from Project Managing the whole thing myself, only using an architect to help out on the odd occasion and contracting with the different races yourself as opposed to getting a general builder to do it all. Set up accounts at merchants and buy all the materials yourself, also note no VAT on new builds. By doing so I was able to put up a property which was valued at more than twice what it cost to buy the land and complete the construction.

It was far from easy and meant that I didn't work for over a year but the benefits both financially and from a personal reward perspective were outstanding

Would happily pass on more detail to anyone if interested

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Having watched many episodes of Grand Designs, I can confirm the following:

-your costs will increase by at least 40% from your original projected budget

-a spell of inclement weather will delay the project considerably just at the most inconvenient point

-your wife will get pregnant immediately after you start building

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have a relatively modest budget (Circa 320k) – what cost would you put on a contemporary new build?
Size? Land?
Is there likely to be a large sell on benefit? (obviously depending on size etc)
Eh?
Most online sources don’t state the planning status. Is it a big risk to buy a plot of land without planning permission?
You don't buy land without knowing the chances of getting permission etc (unless you're fully into land speculation, which you're clearly not).
How long does it take and how difficult can it be to get permission?
It ranges from simple to impossible. But ask yourself why someone would sell land without permission, if getting it is straightforward.
Are there local/government incentives to self-builders?
You don't pay VAT (well you can claim it back).

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
local authorities now have to keep a self build register the aim of which is to identify sites for those who want self or custom build.
your budget might fund a build, site preparation etc but not the land.
there is loads of information online via the self build portal.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
They have just finished a self-build next to where I live.

It took about 4 planning applications before it was allowed, but they were persistent and eventually the council gave in.

There was a lot of local resistance to the land being built on, but after you have opposed it two or three times, you end up forgetting to oppose the fourth re-submission.

It was a nightmare getting water and utilities fitted, and meant having to dig through someone's garden. The builders made no friends, they put it up for sale before it was even finished. But if you're planning to live there it is another matter if you've upset half the neighbours before you even move in.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Having watched many episodes of Grand Designs, I can confirm the following:

-your costs will increase by at least 40% from your original projected budget

-a spell of inclement weather will delay the project considerably just at the most inconvenient point

-your wife will get pregnant immediately after you start building

IMG_9681.JPG

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was a nightmare getting water and utilities fitted, and meant having to dig through someone's garden.
Presumably the owners agreed to that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here