Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton second only to Westminster in the rough sleeping league.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
More than 4,000 people a night have been sleeping rough on England's streets, a 16% increase on last year.
Figures from the Department for Communities and Local Government show more than half of councils in England recorded a rise in rough sleeping compared with the year before.
The homelessness charity Crisis said it was rising at an "appalling rate".
The government said it was determined to help the most vulnerable and was investing £550m to tackle the problem.
Jon Sparkes, the chief executive of Crisis, said: "Behind these statistics are thousands of desperate people, sleeping in doorways, bin shelters, stations and parks - anywhere they can find to stay safe and escape the elements.
"Rough sleeping ruins lives, leaving people vulnerable to violence and abuse, and taking a dreadful toll on their mental and physical health. Our recent research has shown how rough sleepers are 17 times more likely to be victims of violence. This is no way for anyone to live."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38719087

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 186
  • download (1).png
    download (1).png
    30.4 KB · Views: 206

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A terrible statistic. I do wonder if homeless people are coming to Brighton because they think the town is geared up to dealing with them or for the drugs culture and/or the belief that Brightonians are more sympathetic towards them. What's so upsetting is the number of youngsters incl. young adult girls who sleep rough.

I remember being told by a senior government official (back in the late 1990s) that a large level of street homelessness was a sign that a town was particularly prosperous.

Oct 25, 2003
A terrible statistic. I do wonder if homeless people are coming to Brighton because they think the town is geared up to dealing with them or for the drugs culture and/or the belief that Brightonians are more sympathetic towards them. What's so upsetting is the number of youngsters incl. young adult girls who sleep rough.

Brighton definitely has a good reputation nationwide in terms of homeless services so it is true that rough sleepers do move here for that reason. Unfortunately this has resulted in those services being placed under incredible amounts of pressure as a result. Brighton also naturally attracts people slightly on the edges of society- people who wouldn't necessarily fit in elsewhere move here because they know that they'll be 'accepted' (that's the perception anyway). When you factor in things like the relatively good weather, a reasonable amount of casual jobs and a pretty lucrative begging scene it makes Brighton a very attractive place to be for a rough sleeper.

And yes it's sad the amount of young people on the streets (although a lot of them are probably squatting). Fortunately we have an excellent day centre specifically for 16-25's- the clock tower sanctuary

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A terrible statistic. I do wonder if homeless people are coming to Brighton because they think the town is geared up to dealing with them or for the drugs culture and/or the belief that Brightonians are more sympathetic towards them.

Human nature to do this shirley? Why would you gravitate towards anywhere that is openly hostile to you? Plus you'd spread the word. That's how life is.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I see that Hastings is up there. It's always had a homeless problem (seaside town/end of the line from London) but it's very noticeable as Hastings Old Town continues to thrive and the DFL'ers continue to buy, there are now quite a few beggars in the Old town. This never used to be the case.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I always assumed it was because it was one of the warmest places in the country (in winter), and because there are a lot of tourists who are more sympathetic to them.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

When you are running away from someone, something there is only so far you can go before you hit the sea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here