Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trust

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
Reading through some recent threads and noting the comments, one word really sticks out at me; "trust".

Looking back at the dark days, Archer and Bellotti were absolute scumbags and we all knew it. We certainly didn't trust in the regime (with good reason) and ended up 92nd in the football league with no ground and millions of pounds of debt. Managers came and went and our team featured players who, invariably once released dropped into non-league football.

Obviously in 2017 we've come a long way. Dick's work will always be remembered; but I've never once felt the trust and good will towards the club as an entity that I do now.

I love our manager, I love our chairman, I love our commercial and business decisions. I love that Bloom was determined to trust in Hyypia for so long, for example. This is a man who has invested tens of millions of pounds in his team - he didn't panic. When it went wrong, he made astute business decisions (sacking Burke, for example) which has paid off for the club.

From the board to the playing staff, I love the club's ethos and this era is the happiest I could ever wish to be as an Albion fan.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I love that Bloom was determined to trust in Hyypia for so long, for example. This is a man who has invested tens of millions of pounds in his team - he didn't panic. When it went wrong, he made astute business decisions (sacking Burke, for example) which has paid off for the club.

Agree with everything except this. If Hyppia hadnt fallen on his sword Blooms stubbornness to admit he needed to change would have seen us relegated imo. Sami's record after leaving us proves he is a shockingly bad manager.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Agree with everything except this. If Hyppia hadnt fallen on his sword Blooms stubbornness to admit he needed to change would have seen us relegated imo. Sami's record after leaving us proves he is a shockingly bad manager.

Do you think he resigned or was "invited to resign" ?

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
Couldn't agree more. I cannot think of a time when I have so much belief and trust in everything this club is doing to get us to where we all want to get to.

Mr Bloom (Sir) is an absolute bloody hero in my eyes and i am so excited by the next chapter in this incredible story

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do you think he resigned or was "invited to resign" ?

If memory serves, Hyppia did the decent thing and resigned the day after the Junior Seagulls Xmas Party. Coincidence? Being roundly booed by a bunch of seven year olds is always going to HURT in the morning.

Seriously though, fair play to the bloke. TB, according to reports of the time, had already jetted off back to Oz for Our Winter/Their Summer and would have left Hyppia in charge WAY too long and probably have seen us sleepwalk into league One.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Obviously in 2017 we've come a long way. Dick's work will always be remembered; but I've never once felt the trust and good will towards the club as an entity that I do now.

Would be genuinely interested to hear on the trust issue from some of the flagbearers for our fight for where we are now (e.g. Attila/Lord B/Henfield One), particularly thinking of less than complimentary posts that were put on here about the club, and its direction of corporate travel, last season. Are we one big happy family again or is there still a lack of trust in the current board for those who know the powers that be much better than most of us?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Would be genuinely interested to hear on the trust issue from some of the flagbearers for our fight for where we are now (e.g. Attila/Lord B/Henfield One), particularly thinking of less than complimentary posts that were put on here about the club, and its direction of corporate travel, last season. Are we one big happy family again or is there still a lack of trust in the current board for those who know the powers that be much better than most of us?

Personally I think there were a group who were so close to Knight and influencing the way that things were done that the transition was always going to lose some peoples support along the way. It hasnt all been plain sailing and the club has made some mistakes but seems to me they have learnt and things are going really well on most fronts.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
We have to trust the direction of travel that the club is in and the people running it. Yes, it's very corporate now but that's modern football. Our only power as supporters that we have in dissent is to stop buying tickets and currently there is no valid reason except personal finances to stop doing that. We as a club are in a very good place right now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Reading through some recent threads and noting the comments, one word really sticks out at me; "trust".

Looking back at the dark days, Archer and Bellotti were absolute scumbags and we all knew it. We certainly didn't trust in the regime (with good reason) and ended up 92nd in the football league with no ground and millions of pounds of debt. Managers came and went and our team featured players who, invariably once released dropped into non-league football.

I love our manager, I love our chairman, I love our commercial and business decisions. I love that Bloom was determined to trust in Hyypia for so long, for example. This is a man who has invested tens of millions of pounds in his team - he didn't panic. When it went wrong, he made astute business decisions (sacking Burke, for example) which has paid off for the club.

From the board to the playing staff, I love the club's ethos and this era is the happiest I could ever wish to be as an Albion fan.

I think you can add Paul Barber to the list too.

Yes, there is something special going on at the club now, with good people in all the key positions. If we do get promoted I think we have we'll have a solid base from which to work - it has been tough missing out in the play-offs in 3 of the last 4 seasons but you get the feeling this is the first season that we really have ALL of our ducks in a row, i.e. training ground, stadium, squad, team spirit and experience.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Agree very much with the OP. I think the people at the top of this club genuinely listen to the fans and on the odd occasion when they miscalculate, they tend to put things right. That goes for big decisions as well as little ones (I'm thinking about "Seagulls! Seagulls!" flashed up on the screens during corners in the Liverpool game, or clackers against Palace ... and more recently delaying the attendance announcement until the game is over. Fans were listened to on all these occasions.)

One of the best things about the club is the way I think TB wants to work with managers for the long haul. I genuinely think that if we go up, and somehow don't stay up, his first instinct will be to stick with Hughton - assuming he wants to stay and assuming something really horrendous hadn't taken place. That has to be a better policy than 18-month tenures that you see at so many clubs.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
One of the best things about the club is the way I think TB wants to work with managers for the long haul. I genuinely think that if we go up, and somehow don't stay up, his first instinct will be to stick with Hughton - assuming he wants to stay and assuming something really horrendous hadn't taken place. That has to be a better policy than 18-month tenures that you see at so many clubs.

I really hope this is the case. If we go up Hughton will have more than earnt the right to a bit of a yoyo and Id trust no one more to take us back up that Chris if we went back down.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

If you have a manager you trust why not stick with them during both good and bad times, particularly in the first season in the PL when this happens, as the focus will all be on staying up, and depending on how the fixtures turn out you could well have a winless run of 10 games or so, but the need to stay steady and stick with the manager would pay off when we come out the otherside even if it means a yoyo period.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here