Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If l had a criticism....

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Top of the league and eleven points clear of third you wouldn't think there is anything to criticise but one thing that puzzles me is when we take the lead, which we generally do, why do we start to sit deeper and deeper and bring all eleven players back behind the ball for opposition corners and free kicks? That just allows the opposition to push more men forward. We've pretty well got away with it for now but occasionally that's more by luck than judgement! (re Duffy's block from Noon last night).If we kept at least one player up by the half way line, like Wardy used to do, then generally they would have to keep two players back to mark him. It also provides an outlet to relieve the pressure rather than just having the ball punted up field and inviting the next long ball back!! Just saying...!!

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Top of the league and eleven points clear of third you wouldn't think there is anything to criticise but one thing that puzzles me is when we take the lead, which we generally do, why do we start to sit deeper and deeper and bring all eleven players back behind the ball for opposition corners and free kicks? That just allows the opposition to push more men forward. We've pretty well got away with it for now but occasionally that's more by luck than judgement! (re Duffy's block from Noon last night).If we kept at least one player up by the half way line, like Wardy used to do, then generally they would have to keep two players back to mark him. It also provides an outlet to relieve the pressure rather than just having the ball punted up field and inviting the next long ball back!! Just saying...!!

Because we don't concede many goals and 8 times out of 10 we would win the game...

I guess it's a game of percentages!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That is why we hold pies and CH manages the tactics, I'd say?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We haven't got away with it. We have the most clean sheets and the best defence in the league. It works.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's that reliance on a team to do a job which I think is unfamiliar to us "Oh bloody TYPICAL BRIGHTON" brigade who are so used to unreliability and bad luck.

We're solid. CH trusts the defence to defend when needed and we do so.

Relax!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

I agree with you. It seems like we want to invite pressure. Crazy tactic in my mind, but then I'm not the manager. There have been a large number of games where we have been very lucky not to concede late on after being bombarded by free kicks and corners. As the OP suggests, keeping a player upfield would surely relieve pressure as they would have to keep more players back. Would also be interesting to keep a player up when the opposition sends their goalie up for that last minute corner!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its a common observation other managers/teams do this (and similar question about not having a man on either post), had conversations about many times. seems obvious to armchair pundits that an man upfield make sense, but for whatever reason many managers dont argree. maybe someone whose done coaching can shed lght on the tactical advantage?

related question when attacking a corner, why some managers dont have a player just outside the box, to clean up any second ball coming out, and offer immediate defense from counterattack.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

This is football and has been the way of football for ever and ever and ever for every team ever.

If you want to see what happens when you take the lead but don't switch to a more defensive style, look no further than Crystal Palace under Alan Pardew

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If I had one criticism, it would be the amount of goals our centre halves have scored from corners.

Dunk/Duffy SHOULD have had at least 1/2 goals last night. But their job is to keep the ball out, and they're doing a bloody good job of it so no complaints here.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
It's the classic football tactic. Take the lead, invite the away side to start playing some football, invite the pressure knowing you have a solid back 4, excellent goalkeeper and then wallop them on the counter attack with the pace we have. It's just about making sure you don't get completely dominated and do have the out ball when you get the opportunity. If the opportunity doesn't arise then you rely on your solidity and shut up shop.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It annoys me as well.. I know it's to preserve the lead, but surely were we to leave (from last night's team) say Knockaert up front, the opposition would feel it necessary to put at least 2 people on him, giving us an numerical advantage at the back.

By bringing everyone back, we also give ourselves no outlet for a clearance, which then creates a repeating period of pressure as we fail to gain control of the ball, the opposition get confidence, and we drop even deeper.

At times yesterday we stopped pressing the man on the ball, as we did (understandably with a man disadvantage) against Wednesday. This is where we really miss Baldock, who at times is the only player with the stamina (often along with Knocky) who continues to chase and close down defenders even late in the game.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
I'd leave either knockeart or march, or preferably both, up the field at opposition corners and the opposition would have to leave half their team in defence to mark them!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It is often accompanied by a substitution of taking off a striker and bringing on a central midfielder. It makes my heart jump into my mouth everytime as it means we shall invite the opposition to apply pressure.

I'd much rather see another striker come on or a pacey winger who will cause the opposition to worry about further damage we can do in trying to kill off the game

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It's the classic football tactic. Take the lead, invite the away side to start playing some football, invite the pressure knowing you have a solid back 4, excellent goalkeeper and then wallop them on the counter attack with the pace we have. It's just about making sure you don't get completely dominated and do have the out ball when you get the opportunity. If the opportunity doesn't arise then you rely on your solidity and shut up shop.

This....and I agree its annoying at times and frustrationg but it works. And last night I felt far more relaxed about the tactic than I have on occassions when the opposition go on all out attack to try to get the equaliser. Luckily Colin's teams don't do that!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here