Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

F1 sacks Bernie.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Bernie Ecclestone should have gone about 20 years ago.

This. Atleast. That episode with Max whatshisname and the 'ladies' and the 'uniforms' was the point that I realised he had lost it completly and needed to go.

Hopefully be good times for F1.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This. Atleast. That episode with Max whatshisname and the 'ladies' and the 'uniforms' was the point that I realised he had lost it completly and needed to go.

Hopefully be good times for F1.

TBH What Max Mosely does in his private life is up to him, more worrying is the way Bernie tied the teams in to deals with hotels and air transport and the famous bribery trial in Germany.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No doubt they will change the rules to make it easier for an American to win it.

I doubt they are about that at all. I used to work for a subsidiary of said organisation.

The owner is an absolute giant (and very very wealthy man) in the global media industry but barely anyone in the country would know his name.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Dragged F1 and the teams kicking and screaming into the 21st century.Drivers are now much safer and better paid-good job,Bernie

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No interest in this sport, but took an interest recently because of who has bought it.

John Malone shuns the limelight but is one of the most powerful media moguls on the planet.

Owns huge chunk of Discovery which in turn owns Eurosport. Recently took over Virgin Media. What I've read is that Bernie is all about the big deal, signing the TV rights off to the highest bidder but hasn't embraced the digital world.

So it's a bit like Murdoch buying the Premier League.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Bernie was only ever a figurehead in the latter years of CVC ownership. CVC took an absolute fortune out of the business over the years before selling it and didn't want to rock the boat by kicking him out.

There is no way John Malone would have him running it. He's a very savvy and successful media businessman.

About time F1 was run by someone as a proper business rather than a cash cow for a pie firm to take out massive dividends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
About time F1 was run by someone as a proper business rather than a cash cow for a pie firm to take out massive dividends

suggest a contradiction there, if its cash cow throwing off lots of dividends, its being run rather well as a proper business. dont you mean run as a sport, with less emphasis on the business side?

cant understand the digs at Bernie, maybe his style grates but he's been massivly successfull with F1. we cant stand it when someone does well and earns in the process.

suggest a contradiction there, if its cash cow throwing off lots of dividends, its being run rather well as a proper business. dont you mean run as a sport, with less emphasis on the business side?

cant understand the digs at Bernie, maybe his style grates but he's been massivly successfull with F1. we cant stand it when someone does well and earns in the process.

This.

Bernie took F1 from a series of random races and put a structure in.

Can't say I'm unhappy that he's gone now but he made F1 into a viable series.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Because if you are taking out dividends, you are not reinvesting in the business. Whilst at the same time increasing leverage and the overall cost of funding.

And CVC ran it exactly as a business......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here