Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Betting query

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I know there's a few betting experts on here, so can any of you help with this query please?

I bet on the recent Tour Down Under cycling race. Before the race started ( it's a 6 stage race) I had final GC single bets on McCarthy e/w @ 20/1 with one bookies, Haas e/w @ 66/1 with another bookies. Both '1/4 1,2,3 places'.

On the last stage McCarthy nicked 3 seconds on an intermediate sprint to take him level on time with Haas. First countback for GC is apparently super points or lowest average placing.

McCarthy = 59
Haas = 63

So McCarthy is awarded 3rd place, Haas 4th. This final result is indicated quite clearly on all cycling websites, including the UCI site (this is a world tour race) There is no tie awarded.

The Haas bookies rightly declared my bet lost. The McCarthy bookies had other ideas. After leaving the bet pending all day, after I queried it they eventually declared the bet lost. So I queried it again and this is how they've decided to settle:

BET RECEIPT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Selection Selection Details Result
Cycling
Tour Down Under
Tour Down Under 2017
xx of January 2017 xxxxxx
Outright Betting
1/4 places 1,2,3
Jay McCarthy @ 20/1
Place Reduction 1/2
Place
(Tie)

Stake and Return Details
Bet placed at xx of January 2017 xxxx pm Total Stake £4.00
Bet type Single (Each-Way) Tax@Tax free 0
Number of lines 2 Total stake due £4.00
Stake per line £2.00 Freebets Redeemed £0.00
Channel Internet Total amount paid £4.00
Number of win lines 1
Number of void lines 0 Standard Returns £6.00
Total Returns £6.00

Now as you can see, I'm a recreational punter, so no big returns here, but I'm just curious as to how they can come to this conclusion and I only get back half of what I think I'm due. It's clearly not a tie or dead heat like in other sports. If it was indeed a tie then perhaps the Haas bookies need to be paying out too (although I think they are absolutely right not to and I certainly won't be appealing there).

I can't find any specific rules for this eventuality in cycling on their website so far. Before I call them, anyone got any ideas as to whether they're right or not please?

Sorry it's a bit long winded. And it's not so much about the money but the principal. If they're going to be like this then no point cycling betting with them in future.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Checked the results and it is a clear third so you should get £10 back and £2 stake back. I agree on the principle not the money part. You might as well name the bookie as it's no big deal. Then when they correct it, and you tell us, they will show they settle bets fairly and listen to customers.
Sure the spivs will give you good advice on here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's how the final result is reported:-

1 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 19:55:49
2 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica-Scott 0:00:48
3 Jay McCarthy (Aus) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:00:51
4 Nathan Haas (Aus) Dimension Data
5 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Team UAE Abu Dhabi 0:00:59

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Checked the results and it is a clear third so you should get £10 back and £2 stake back. I agree on the principle not the money part. You might as well name the bookie as it's no big deal. Then when they correct it, and you tell us, they will show they settle bets fairly and listen to customers.
Sure the spivs will give you good advice on here.

Yep, check any cycling site going, McCarthy is clearly 3rd and Haas 4th.

Funny how the Haas bookies know this well enough but the other lot can't seem to grasp it :rolleyes:

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Query it again and send them a link to the official website. The clowns that work for the shysters are usually clueless and their errors pointing out to them, quite frequently I find.

D

Deleted User X18H

Doc not the 9 o'clock will be along to patronise you shortly.

And call you an omelette or some such thing.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Update:

After an email pointing out their error, I've now been paid out the full £12. :thumbsup:

I retire next week on the winnings :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here