Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet Comments on Albion's Success

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think he's about right in what he says. We had some great times with Gus. I loved it all.

It's a shame it ended the way it did, but he bought us the taste of success that we've carried through into subsequent seasons.

As he says, Chris has bought his own style and has been brilliant. He has taken the club even further. He's built on the earlier successes tremendously.

I don't think this article is all about Gus.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Top bloke and one of our greatest managers.

Cue thread full of people saying how the liked him, but their memories are 'soured by the way he left', interspersed with people saying that they always found his style boring.

While everything changes, everything stays the same

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The dramatic upward trajectory started under Gus. Regardless of the sour way it ended, he did a phenomenal, fantastic job at BHA. Bloom made the perfect appointment at the perfect time, and its thanks to Gus we kicked off at the Amex as a Championship club. What a ride it was as well, some of the best football I have ever seen at this club. I doubt I'll ever see a more perfect, exhilerating away performance than that 4-0 at Charlton.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The dramatic upward trajectory started under Gus. Regardless of the sour way it ended, he did a phenomenal, fantastic job at BHA. Bloom made the perfect appointment at the perfect time, and its thanks to Gus we kicked off at the Amex as a Championship club. What a ride it was as well, some of the best football I have ever seen at this club. I doubt I'll ever see a more perfect, exhilerating away performance than that 4-0 at Charlton.

You didn't go to Peterborough a few days later then!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The dramatic upward trajectory started under Gus.

First manager of recent times with the purse-strings loosened. Fair play he taught the likes of T.Elphick and Adam El-Abd to play the ball on the ground, but it's only something somebody should have taught them ten years earlier. Overall, less than zero respect for the bloke.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Gus gave us the belief that we could compete and that League 1 win was one of the greatest ever. He certainly laid the foundations for our success. He just wasn't as good as Hughton, who hopefully will take us to the next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I certainly think that Gus has a point, in that he started an upward spiral for the club

I do not agree however that this promotion push is something which he started. Two years ago the club was actually on a downward spiral, so if anything, what he had achieved had been dismantled and had to be started from almost scratch in terms of playing personnel.

Why wouldn't he try and claim it. That's what egotistical people do.

Gus Poyet deserves a pat on the back for his achievements during his at the club but this season's success or even last season's relative success are not down to him in any way shape or form. I didn't see him clambering to jump on the bus last year when the club actually missed out on the Promotion

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Forgetting the way it ended Gus started it getting us to the Championship for our first season at the Amex. Would never have been the same in League One.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
First manager of recent times with the purse-strings loosened. Fair play he taught the likes of T.Elphick and Adam El-Abd to play the ball on the ground, but it's only something somebody should have taught them ten years earlier. Overall, less than zero respect for the bloke.

It takes more than the simple loosening of purse-strings to do what he did to get us out of L1. OK it wasn't done on a shoestring, but nor did we splash the cash outlandishly. The likes of Southampton had a far bigger budget than us, yet they were still left trailing in our wake. That wasn't just a promotion, it was a complete and utter massacre of the division.

That was without doubt one of the best seasons I have ever experienced as a BHA fan. And love him or loathe him, Gus was the driving force behind it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here