Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southend United groundsman sacked after Bolton Wanderers postponement

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Southend United have sacked their head groundsman after Saturday's League One match against Bolton Wanderers was postponed because of a frozen pitch.

Ken Hare was dismissed after the game at Roots Hall was called off, following freezing temperatures overnight.

"People generally lose their position as a result of not doing their job," said a club statement.

"The necessary decision surrounding Mr Hare was a disappointment and of course not taken lightly."

The statement added: "Very few people have been dismissed at this football club over the past 20 years and that even extends to managers."

The Shrimpers said following the postponement that covers and heaters were put in place on the pitch but the temperature in Essex dipped to well below freezing and the referee decided the game would be called off in the interests of player safety.

Saturday's game was the first to be postponed at Roots Hall since January 2013.

Seems a bit harsh a statement from Southend. Sounds like he didnt put any covers out looking at the state of the pitch

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Southend sack groundsman for not being able to control the weather

The groundsman at Roots Hall has worked there for 27 YEARS, but because their game got postponed for a frozen pitch, he has been sacked.

Everyone agrees there is only so much a groundsman, a mere mortal without the power to breathe fire or thaw football pitches with his breath, can do to battle the elements, such as the use of covers or heaters. But sometimes, that’s not enough.

http://www.latetacklemagazine.com/n...an-for-not-being-able-to-control-the-weather/

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"...covers and heaters were put in place on the pitch but the temperature in Essex dipped to well below freezing..."

If the covers and heaters were in place, then why is that the groundsman's fault? Sounds like there's more to it than Sunday's postponement...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've read the article, and it's not clear as to why they sacked him. I think it's because he didn't put covers down and heaters early enough... I think

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I blame Donald Trump.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Looking at those pictures I find it hard to believe covers AND heaters had been used.. Unless by heaters they mean 1 man walking around with a hair dryer..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd hazard a guess that this wasnt the only event leading to the groundsman's sacking.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bearing in mind the matches at Charlton, Crawley, Orient, Dagenham and Woking were also frozen off, plus almost every game in the Vanarama South, this would seem to be a remarkably harsh decision.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
The pitch isn't the only consideration in freezing weather. What about the terraces, and streets around the stadium?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Must be more to this story than meets the eye , shocking treatment by Southend utd if the groundsman had in fact did all he could to try and get the pitch playable .

eb91d7ab5d8bcb90a83c3dcf13d84ec2.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If the groundsman didn't do his job it could be argued that neither did the CEO or directors by not investing in undersoil heating. I wonder if they'll get the sack too ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here