Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Connor Hourihane, Barnsley

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
No, not a transfer rumour (though he is a very handy player).

Surprised this didn't get a mention on the Barnsley - Leeds match thread, but did nobody stay watching and hear his on-pitch interview at the end?

In all of my 30+ years watching football, his were the single most DISRESPECTFUL comments I've ever heard from a player, to his employers. No attempt to bat away the questions at all "Yes Villa are a great club" "Impossible not to have your head turned, if a manager like Steve Bruce wants you" - all whilst stood there on the Barnsley pitch, in his Barnsley kit, the cheers of the Barnsley fans still ringing in his ears.

What an absolute prick.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Prick yes but speaking the truth.. Duffy didn't cover himself in glory either.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He walked all the way around the pitch after the game, applauding the Barnsley fans. You could tell he was saying goodbye. At least he played, scored and helped them win, rather than cowering away behind the dugouts, in case he got injured before his move.
The Sky pundit asked him a straight question and he gave a straight answer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
2 more IN for Villa very soon.

Palace may have trouble bouncing back next year if Villa get their act together.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Surprised this didn't get a mention on the Barnsley - Leeds match thread, but did nobody stay watching and hear his on-pitch interview at the end?

In all of my 30+ years watching football, his were the single most DISRESPECTFUL comments I've ever heard from a player, to his employers. No attempt to bat away the questions at all "Yes Villa are a great club" "Impossible not to have your head turned, if a manager like Steve Bruce wants you" - all whilst stood there on the Barnsley pitch, in his Barnsley kit, the cheers of the Barnsley fans still ringing in his ears.

What an absolute prick.

Like others have said, don't see the problem.

See Stephens transfer request, Duffy last spell at Blackburn etc.

Would you rather players lied?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Although actually I'd say that his present manager has proved himself highly capable on a smaller budget that Bruce has ever had to cope with. And he's got a proper local name.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
More respectful than Dale was in the Summer. He at least managed to get himself on the pitch and perform

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

What an absolute prick.

I wouldn't go as far as calling him what you did in your final sentence, but yes, he showed a complete lack of disrepect to his employers in saying what he did, when he did.

What he should of said of course, was, Villa WERE a great club , not are!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Prick yes but speaking the truth.. Duffy didn't cover himself in glory either.
I'll not be the only one to enjoy some good old fashioned 'terrace' hypocrisy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I didn't think what he said was that bad at all. Ultimately, I'd rather have some honesty from my players, as long as they give their all in my club's shirt. This lad did exactly that by scoring a beauty and helping them to 3 points. No problem here. I'd be interested to see what Barnsley fans think though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Seems all they're doing this season is stacking up a squad full of disloyal mercenaries, how can Bruce build a team with players like that ?

He can't. The worrying thing for me, is that I do actually rate Steve Bruce, he has, after all, achieved an awful lot in a long playing and managerial career.

So if the likes of Steve Bruce can't turn this ailing, and possibly terminally ill football club around, then who can?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The other thing that hasn't been mentioned on this thread is that he did score the winner against Leeds, thereby improving our position vis-a-vis the Dirty.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
More respectful than Dale was in the Summer. He at least managed to get himself on the pitch and perform

Hang on. You think that speaking to Sky on their pitch, in their colours, stating that such a big club (in the same division as them, and below them) and such a great manager has turned his head is more respectful than Stephens, who asked for a transfer away to play PL football and was basically shut out of the team by CH until the window closed?

I don't have too much of a problem with what Hourihane did by the way, but that comment is absolute ****ing bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here