moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
How do you think it'll go?
Result expected later today

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
IS it correct that if we lose the appeal he handed a longer ban?

Not quite sure what the grounds are but I dont understand why we are appealing?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

No, and because it was instinctive rather than deliberate. He was protecting his face, which is something the majority of players would do, apart from defenders and keepers.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Surely with all the concerns and information coming through these days from sports science about concussions in sport a player protecting their head from a potentially severe impact should be acceptable. Fair enough a penalty but if a player is expected to get seriously injured and discouraged from protecting themselves to avoid getting a red card then the game and its ruling body are a joke.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

In the event of an appeal being considered 'frivolous' by the panel, a ban CAN be extended. It is very, very unusual though, so I shouldn't worry. Besides, and extra game if the worst happened would just cover the Lincoln game that he'd never be playing in anyway.

The GROUNDS of the appeal, we don't know. There are two possibilities:

1. It was an instinctive reaction, to protect his face. Unlikely to succeed, IMO.

2. His actions did NOT 'stop a goalscoring opportunity' - i.e. Stockdale was right behind him, so it wouldn't have gone in anyway. This one has a CHANCE, I think.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think we'll get this one overturned. Just a feeling but that result would fit with the season we are having.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

If the appeal is deemed frivolous then his ban could be extended. Who knows what will happen the appeals panel appear to make it up as they go along.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think we'll get this one overturned. Just a feeling but that result would fit with the season we are having.

We have been very lucky but I cannot see this being overturned

BurgerNips

Apr 19, 2016
As it's only a one game ban, I think they are appealing because if we aren't successful and he gets another game, it will be the Lincoln game, and he wouldn't be playing in that anyway!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Be very surprised. When did we last over turn a red?

I think that was Calde's red against Newport County in the League Cup. It was a 50/50 challenge, but the other player broke his leg. Calde was devastated and visited him in hospital.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The GROUNDS of the appeal, we don't know. There are two possibilities:

1. It was an instinctive reaction, to protect his face. Unlikely to succeed, IMO.

2. His actions did NOT 'stop a goalscoring opportunity' - i.e. Stockdale was right behind him, so it wouldn't have gone in anyway. This one has a CHANCE, I think.

Surely if it was to protect his face, then his face would have stopped the ball. So, Weds weren't denied a goal scoring opportunity.

I'd have thought there were very good grounds to have it over-turned ... but then I thought there were good grounds to have Stephens' over-turned last season and I was wrong about that

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here