Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Jaki Liebezeit

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Some deaths hit you harder than others. Hearing about Jaki Liebezeit, the drummer from Can, is certainly one of them.

It's hard to put into words just how much I loved Can - have all their albums, seen them several times, blah, blah, blah. Even now, 40 years after they split up, they're probably the band I listen to the most. But it was Jaki who held it all together: I'd watch them on stage and be totally transfixed by his drumming. By all accounts, he was lovely fella too - helping all the disparate elements of the group to work together,

I'm going to bed tonight shocked and deeply sorrowful. RIP Jaki

Guess it's going to be a Can-fest tomorrow

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Really sad news. A great, great drummer in one of the most influential bands ever

He touched my shoulder after The Irmler/ Leibezeit gig at The Hope last year [emoji38]

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
He was a metronome. He seemed to hold time in his hands. For people who don't know his work, imagine the percussion equivalent of an amazing Vicente run: precise, elusive, and with a mastery of time and space.

And he thought so much about his craft. He did an interview after his last gig in London and was so smart and witty.

I'm so sad tonight.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Sad to hear this - a wonderful drummer. Does anyone know if Liebezeit was his real name? I'm guessing not, as it literally translates to "love time" which would be too perfect. Tried a cursory search but couldn't find out. Auf wiedersehen JL.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Some deaths hit you harder than others. Hearing about Jaki Liebezeit, the drummer from Can, is certainly one of them.

It's hard to put into words just how much I loved Can - have all their albums, seen them several times, blah, blah, blah. Even now, 40 years after they split up, they're probably the band I listen to the most. But it was Jaki who held it all together: I'd watch them on stage and be totally transfixed by his drumming. By all accounts, he was lovely fella too - helping all the disparate elements of the group to work together,

I'm going to bed tonight shocked and deeply sorrowful. RIP Jaki

Guess it's going to be a Can-fest tomorrow

So so sad..Like You Gwylan I loved and still love them. In fact my favourite band of all time. Jaki my favourite drummer and one whose legacy throughout the whole of modern music resonates still.
He set the rules for modern day beats...

Tago Mago is my favourite Album.

Sad news indeed. Was only thinking last week that Irmin Schmidt must be in his late 70s..

TNBA

TTF

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
imagine the percussion equivalent of an amazing Vicente run: precise, elusive, and with a mastery of time and space.

That's a great description

Was only thinking last week that Irmin Schmidt must be in his late 70s..

Irmin will be 80 in May. He's giving a concert in April to celebrate his birthday and Jaki was supposed to have been playing. I was so looking forward to it but now there'll be an air of sadness hanging over the event.

Listening to the live album now - some of which was recorded at a gig that TTF and I went to at Sussex Uni - what a drummer. What a musician

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
That's a great description

Irmin will be 80 in May. He's giving a concert in April to celebrate his birthday and Jaki was supposed to have been playing. I was so looking forward to it but now there'll be an air of sadness hanging over the event.

Listening to the live album now - some of which was recorded at a gig that TTF and I went to at Sussex Uni - what a drummer. What a musician

I remember going to a gig of theirs at Kent Uni at Canterbury and speaking to him in the foyer beforehand. Discussed his amazing ability to play two bass drums simultaneously , one playing one beat and the other a completely different beat. It was mesmeric and when you added the amazing upper drum sequences plus his drum machine stuff at the same time it all resulted in a wall of metronomically accurate yet continuously changing rhythm.

Just listen to Halleluhwah.............

Today will be a Spotify CANFEST indeed.

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here