Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The penalty Barnes earned for Burnley

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Penalty or not?

He's been kicked on the leg but not enough to bring him down. Then he takes another step and falls over.

I'd be upset if that was given against us.

On the other hand he has been kicked on the leg which is a foul? Pretty sure it wouldn't have been given though if he hadn't dived.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The dive is annoying but he's been kicked, so it is a penalty.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
Case in point: Newcastle-Rotherham yesterday. Newcastle keeper clearly trips up the Rotherham striker, who stumbles (just enough that he doesn't get to the ball first) but he doesn't go down. Rotherham do then almost score but it's clearly not sufficient advantage for what should be a stonewall penalty.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
It didn't put Barnes off though.

He wouldn't have fallen and he wasn't put off his stride so is a foul committed just because your leg is touched by a boot?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Case in point: Newcastle-Rotherham yesterday. Newcastle keeper clearly trips up the Rotherham striker, who stumbles (just enough that he doesn't get to the ball first) but he doesn't go down. Rotherham do then almost score but it's clearly not sufficient advantage for what should be a stonewall penalty.

And Kyle Walker on Raheem Sterling yesterday. Blatant penalty. Although had Sterling gone down, he'd've probably been booked for diving.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If an opposition player kicks you in the leg it is a foul, you don't have to be kicked to the point you fall over for it to be a foul.

Indeed

The kick on Barnes is an absolutely stonewall penalty. I can't believe its even up for discussion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed

The kick on Barnes is an absolutely stonewall penalty. I can't believe its even up for discussion.
In slow motion you can underestimate how much he's been kicked. It was a proper kick, stonewall penalty.

The Arsenal penalty is completely wrong however, and that biased tw@ Henry doesn't understand the rules.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Referees are forcing players to make a meal of any fouls because they don't give a penalty if the player manages to stay on his feet. It happened yesterday in the Premier League, a player was clearly shoved in the back but because he stayed up and attempted to play on, nothing was given.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Referees are forcing players to make a meal of any fouls because they don't give a penalty if the player manages to stay on his feet. It happened yesterday in the Premier League, a player was clearly shoved in the back but because he stayed up and attempted to play on, nothing was given.

This. 100% agree.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
If an opposition player kicks you in the leg it is a foul, you don't have to be kicked to the point you fall over for it to be a foul.

I don't think this is quite right. The actual rule is:

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:

kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

So the kick has to be careless, reckless or use excessive force as well as being a kick.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

So the kick has to be careless, reckless or use excessive force as well as being a kick.
So you've quoted the exact law. Kicking Barnes counts as careless does it not?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh well, I'm just glad Arsenal won :)
Yeah I like to see a team with Barton in fail, but I don't really want Burnley going below Palace. But I expect pundits to be unbiased and have at least a basic understanding of the ****ing rules (yes, I know they're called laws, but rules sounds better).

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Well by that definition, if you kick a player deliberately, but not too hard, it is not a penalty.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Penalty or not?

He's been kicked on the leg but not enough to bring him down. Then he takes another step and falls over.

I'd be upset if that was given against us.

On the other hand he has been kicked on the leg which is a foul? Pretty sure it wouldn't have been given though if he hadn't dived.
What are you on about? It was a blatant foul. He was clearly kicked. Obvious penalty. Hope you never think about becoming a ref!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It didn't put Barnes off though.

He wouldn't have fallen and he wasn't put off his stride so is a foul committed just because your leg is touched by a boot?

He was kicked. It's a foul, regardless of what happens in the seconds after.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Nailed on pen, suprised anyone would think otherwise when you see some pens that get given, they dont get much more obvious to be honest.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here