Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Odd refereeing

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
getting around the back pass laws maybe but in no way illegal - most ridiculous card ever?

And as you cannot appeal then i guess it will stay on his record, Dont suppose they want Mike Dean over there as well ??

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apparently there is a rule about it being against the rules to use trickery to gain an advantage. I presume it includes things like this, tucking the ball under your jumper...that sort of thing. And if that rule exists then the ref called it spot on.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I thought there was a rule where you could be booked for "bringing the game into disrepute" by, for example, flicking the ball up and heading it back to the keeper, or setting up a teammate to head it back to the keeper and therefor evading the passback rule.

Would explain why no one does it. I did try a google but couldn't see it anywhere.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm amused by the idea of a booking for 'trickery' :lol:

Is 'tomfoolery' a bookable offence too does anyone know?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So should stepovers be banned?

Tricky question that.

Is it just trickery in disguise?, or is it just disguise masquerading as trickery and therefore allowed?

Do referees even do semantics?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought there was a rule where you could be booked for "bringing the game into disrepute" by, for example, flicking the ball up and heading it back to the keeper, or setting up a teammate to head it back to the keeper and therefor evading the passback rule.

Would explain why no one does it. I did try a google but couldn't see it anywhere.
I've tried googling it too, but also unsuccessfully. If anyone can provide a link to the rule, to settle this debate, that would be good.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ridiculous booking. The player did absolutely nothing against the rules there.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Ridiculous booking. The player did absolutely nothing against the rules there.

Yeah... except this one.

No trickery may be used to get around the terms of the amendment to Law 12. A player may pass the ball to his own goalkeeper using his head, chest, knee, etc.; however, if, in the opinion of the referee, the player uses a deliberate trick -- such as flicking the ball to his head with his foot and heading it to the goalkeeper or kneeling and deliberately pushing the ball to the goalkeeper with his head or knee -- he must be cautioned for ungentlemanly conduct. It makes no difference whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands; the offense is committed by the player who is seeking to circumvent both the Spirit and Letter of the Law.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I've tried googling it too, but also unsuccessfully. If anyone can provide a link to the rule, to settle this debate, that would be good.

An infraction would not occur if a team mate uses his head, chest, knee etc. (everything but foot) to make the pass (no matter where the point of impact with the ball is). It would, however, be an infraction if a player were to use a trick to pass the ball to the goalkeeper, such as kicking the ball up and then using their head. If a player uses such a trick, he must be issued a caution.[3]

uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play to pass the ball to his own
goalkeeper with his head, chest, knee, etc. in order to circumvent the Law, irrespective of whether the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands or not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent both the letter and the spirit of Law 12 and play is restarted with an indirect free kick
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/log2013en_neutral.pdf

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It is against the rules of the game, although I did not know of the 'trickery' booking law.
You may not connive to pass the ball back where such a method is not already in place. Flicking it up on to either your head or a team mates head being an example. This was an illegal move, simple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here