Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier league quality ?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Being hopeful we will finally make it this season to the promised land, how many new signings will we need.

The current players good enough for the step up in my humble opinion are:/

Stockdale
Dunk
Duffy
Pog. ( get him on a permanent contract asap )
Kayal
Stephens
March
Knocky
Murray ( mainly as cover / sub )

Not convinced sidwell could cope with the increased pace and speed of thought/ movement at PL level or Norwood although both good players.

Not sure anyone else quite good enough for the step up, possibly Goldson.

Am I being unfair to the other players who have all played brilliantly so far this season.

Sorry guys , I agree you are right , too early to discuss this and I guess I shouldn't temp fate.

Ignore thanks

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm more concerned about signing a striker this window for the rest of this season than worrying about next just yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1 chicken

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Being hopeful we will finally make it this season to the promised land, how many new signings will we need.

Stockdale
Dunk
Duffy
Kayal
Stephens
March
Knocky

Not convinced sidwell could cope with the increased pace and speed of thought/ movement at PL level or Norwood although both good players.

Am I being unfair to the other players who have all played brilliantly so far this season.

It is far too early to start talking about this but, since you started the thread, I'd say you are being a bit harsh. I think there are more who could play a part in the squad and it's not always the players you expect to step up who do.

In terms of signings, I don't think we'd want to make more than eight to be honest, which means you keep 17 of the current squad in our 25 man squad.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

Stockdale
Dunk
Duffy
Kayal
Stephens
March
Knocky

I refer you to Leicester City, a squad who won the championship and with a few additions to their squad managed to assemble a premiership winning side.

I'm not saying we will do that but until given the chance we don't really know how good these players are.

I'd be shocked if we didn't add experience all across the pitch especially in goal, fullbacks and upfront

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can't think much beyond Huddersfield away at present, but I'm sure there will be a PL 25 man squad thread if ever we need it.

I'll wait for that thread before devoting any mental energy to this.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Difficult to know, players develop and adapt.

There are few I would rule out right now except a couple of the oldies and one or two others. It seems as if teams like Burnley, B'muff and Watford are doing OK with teams largely built around the ones that got them up and adding 2/3 key positions a year.

On the other hand them up the road are trying to replace absolutely everyone and spending big ..........

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
image.jpeg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What about Cardiff?
Yes, I can just about handle thinking about Cardiff, Lincoln and Huddersfield.

Still recovering from the pre match stress v Massive, and get brain overload thinking beyond the Huddersfield game :nono:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Stockdale
Dunk
Duffy
Kayal
Stephens
March
Knocky

Sorry guys , I agree you are right , too early to discuss this and I guess I shouldn't temp fate.

Ignore thanks

It's becoming harder to gauge what Premier League quality is, what with the recent good form of promoted sides.

Personally, and I hate saying this as a Brighton fan and ST holder, but I suspect only 3 or 4 players would truly excel in that league. Knocky, Stephens, Kayal and Dunk for me. Bruno would have, a season or so back. March potentially and Stockdale potentially. But otherwise, we have a squad of excellent Championship players who would struggle in the division above, and who would probably need replacing within a couple of seasons if we managed to sneak 17th.

Still, pessimistic musings aside, let's concentrate on getting up first (and enjoy it, if it happens) and then let CH worry about the signings to keep us up.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Far too early to be considering this, but look to the likes of Burnley, 'Boro - you keep the kernel of the squad that got you promoted and augment it in a few pivotal areas, not wanting to spunk silly money revamping a whole squad when we could just be up there for 1 season - if ... and that's still a big IF, a long way off ... we go up. Not taking anything for granted.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think its fair to say few are "premier league quality", bit if we're honest most probably arent. we have a core of talent though and team spirit that give the rest an extra somthing. that makes it a bit more difficult going up because you need to freshen things up, bring in some quality and options, while not upsetting the spirit. for that reason i think its important for the club to bring in one or two players in this window, a striker certainly and were ever else a player would make immediate improvement (left wing, left or right back relatively weakest). then in the summer bring in another 2-3 players, rather than 4-5, isnt going to hit the spirit so much.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Ignore thanks
Great. We've got a great team with a great team spirit flying high and hoping to get to the PL - and now you in effect want to discuss who won't make it to the PL, or at least won't be anywhere near the 1st. team, if we go up!
What a wonderful boost to morale! Yes, I'm sure business will be done in the summer if we make it, but now is not the time to start speculating on who stays and who gets the chop.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here