Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I remember hearing a stat that he'd started the last 72 league games for us. Or something like that. Incredible for a 36 year old.
Shame that magnificent run has come to an end.

I tend to see quite a lot of his majestic play in the first half of home games.
Last night felt quite bizarre having Connor there rather than Bruno.
Knockaert clearly felt the same too for the first half hour or so..

Not having a go, just reflecting on how much I take Bruno for granted.
Last night made me think about life after Bruno and how much I will miss him when he finally goes.

I'm not ready for that yet.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I was worried before KO that we'd struggle down the right because Goldson won't be overlapping down there and they'd obviously double up on Knocky anyway. Luckily for us rather than being completely not in the game (which you could've forgiven him for in these circumstances) Knocky had a blinder and 3 v 1 was fine for him. Disappointed with our lack of anything down the left for most of the game until March came on though. The wingers are key when there's no pace up front. No Bruno, Rosenior or Baldcok all at same time really was bad luck....

I'd imagine both Bruno & Baldock won't make Tues as both muscular and we don't like taking risks. Surely Rosenior will start - even if he's rusty and only lasts 60-70 mins it would be worth it. Hunt too inexperienced you'd think...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I was worried before KO that we'd struggle down the right because Goldson won't be overlapping down there and they'd obviously double up on Knocky anyway. Luckily for us rather than being completely not in the game (which you could've forgiven him for in these circumstances) Knocky had a blinder and 3 v 1 was fine for him. Disappointed with our lack of anything down the left for most of the game until March came on though. The wingers are key when there's no pace up front. No Bruno, Rosenior or Baldcok all at same time really was bad luck....

I'd imagine both Bruno & Baldock won't make Tues as both muscular and we don't like taking risks. Surely Rosenior will start - even if he's rusty and only lasts 60-70 mins it would be worth it. Hunt too inexperienced you'd think...
If you can't play your most promising Under 23 player in a home game against Cardiff, why do we bother pumping millions into the academy? He'll always be too inexperienced until we actually play him. Hasn't looked out of place in any of the first team games he has played.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If you can't play your most promising Under 23 player in a home game against Cardiff, why do we bother pumping millions into the academy? He'll always be too inexperienced until we actually play him. Hasn't looked out of place in any of the first team games he has played.

Yes I know what you mean but I'd go Rosenior and maybe bring Hunt on if Liam is tiring. I just worry for these young lads without much first team experience. I'd rather have Hunt than Goldson there...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yes I know what you mean but I'd go Rosenior and maybe bring Hunt on if Liam is tiring. I just worry for these young lads without much first team experience. I'd rather have Hunt than Goldson there...
Against a Warnock team, you definitely need a RB who will overlap so we definitely agree on it not being Goldson. If Rosenior had had another game then I would agree but as he wasn't on the bench last night, I personally would go with Hunt. Liam will be vital for the squad for the run in so I wouldn't risk him until he is totally match fit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Those who were saying stuff like "he's been poor recently - no real loss" are absolutely idiots.

It's not just about his incredibly assured defensive play, where he seems to have some mystcal ability to nick the ball away from a forward as if they're not looking, but his attacking play. Interacting with and supporting Knockaert and getting beyond him. Goldson can't do that, and there's no reason why he should - it's not his game. Bruno and Knockaert together must be hell for any left-back to have to deal with.

And to top it off he's an absolutely inspirational lead-by-example skipper.

Finally: what a beard.

I hear hopes are high of a return on Tuesday, so fingers crossed.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Those who were saying stuff like "he's been poor recently - no real loss" are absolutely idiots.

It's not just about his incredibly assured defensive play, where he seems to have some mystcal ability to nick the ball away from a forward as if they're not looking, but his attacking play. Interacting with and supporting Knockaert and getting beyond him. Goldson can't do that, and there's no reason why he should - it's not his game. Bruno and Knockaert together must be hell for any left-back to have to deal with.

The measure of the player is that away fans rate/fear him when you see them talking on their own forums. Always a good sign that a player is doing their job well.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I know we're not a charity but IF we do go up, I hope the club looks after this man in the advancing years of his career.

As previously said, he's a tremendous influence.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There are some players which age just does not get the better of. Bruno seems to be one of them and could well go on to be a quality player at 40.

If we do go up, he might struggle to make the squad in the Premier League. I hope he stays with us though - great mentality that young players can learn from.

I usually use the word sparingly, but "legend" does apply to him, but then again, our squad is currently full of them.

Needs to be retained eve if it is to teach technical skills , his control is brilliant.

Blatter

Feb 27, 2012
I would start Goldson there again on Tuesday.

I'd be thinking about starting Hunt again on Tuesday if Bruno's not fit.

Right back isn't Goldson's natural position and it showed last night. I think that Hoots wanted Goldson's defending experience and communication with Dunk & Duffy, rather than the "new boy". For the Cardiff game I think he can afford to start Hunt, who's got the pace to link up better with Knocky.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Oooh that would be excellent! A real boost if the one game he misses and we clearly miss him is a win! Pls keep us informed if you hear anything else :thumbsup:

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
One thing that was very noticeable with Goldson was how narrow he went in the second half, almost making it look like we were playing 3 centre backs at time. That was why they had so much joy last 20 mins down their left. Completely understandable as he's a centre back. Centre back and full back are such different positions, not quite like centre mid and a winger but they need such different skill sets, I was surprised he went with Goldson. Having said that, I thought he did OK.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

All of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

My mate spoke to him after the game last night, and he said he should be ok for Tuesday.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
One thing that was very noticeable with Goldson was how narrow he went in the second half, almost making it look like we were playing 3 centre backs at time. That was why they had so much joy last 20 mins down their left. Completely understandable as he's a centre back. Centre back and full back are such different positions, not quite like centre mid and a winger but they need such different skill sets, I was surprised he went with Goldson. Having said that, I thought he did OK.

Agree - and I thought he did really well as a stand-in right back. Passed the ball well when he got forward on the wing - short passes to Knocky, nothing flash, just solid.

Clever tactics before the game - CH announcing that Bong would be out, but keeping quiet about Bruno. That just may have deflected Wednesday to target our left back rather than our weaker right.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I agree - I thought he did well first half. Except the goal. I was looking for him and he just wasn't there. Then Duffy was too slow to get out and stop the cross. He had enough time. Don't know what happened 2nd half. Goldson just seemed to be missing from that position. Maybe he was told to tuck in a bit but it wasn't working.

I think we made it more difficult for ourselves than they needed to by giving that equaliser away. We had the measure of them up until that point. Then we doubted ourselves for a spell and that drew them o to us.

But ultimately I think we were really bold to go for the winner with 10 men. That was really impressive. I thought we would have sat in and played for the point but he didn't. Tomer Hemed made that possible because his closing down slowed their build up which allowed us to stay in shape and break up attack after attack and then counter them

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Clever tactics before the game - CH announcing that Bong would be out, but keeping quiet about Bruno. That just may have deflected Wednesday to target our left back rather than our weaker right.

Good point, missed that one. Clever move from CH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here