Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Offside Rule, What Would Football be like Without it

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
There would certainly be more goals. So that would be good wouldn't it?

We would have to change the way we set out the defence.

But would it improve the game?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I would imagine it would encourage more teams to play long ball football.

God forbid!

From the Beeb: "Crystal Palace have played the most long balls (796), while league leaders Chelsea have made the fewest (361)"

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
There would certainly be more goals. So that would be good wouldn't it?

We would have to change the way we set out the defence.

But would it improve the game?

Is this to do with the Van Basten think tank of getting rid of it and bringing in US style rules, such as time outs?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The game would be much more stretched. Probably a couple of big forwards would be permanently stationed in the opposition box. There would be a greater emphasis on aerobic fitness in the midfield as CM's picked up the ball deep in their own half then raced forward into big open spaces to launch it towards the penalty spot. Most likely teams would be less incentivised to play the ball out wide as lack of space to play in the middle becomes less of an issue. It would be interesting to see once, and I quite like the idea of doing away with linesmen, but the spectacle would certainly be worse.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Is this to do with the Van Basten think tank of getting rid of it and bringing in US style rules, such as time outs?

Marco Van Basten can do one. Scored a flukey goal against the USSR in 1988 and he thinks he's the second coming. What next? The ref joining in with the game. Fifa have already ruined future World Cup with their meddling. Bunch of overpaid, know nothing f*ckwits.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Marco Van Basten can do one. Scored a flukey goal against the USSR in 1988 and he thinks he's the second coming. What next? The ref joining in with the game. Fifa have already ruined future World Cup with their meddling. Bunch of overpaid, know nothing f*ckwits.

Too right, I heard on TalkTurd that he was trying to introduce new innovative ideas to the game, mainly US style sh!te.
He's the FIFA chief officer for technical development, don't you know :facepalm:

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs

In a word YES.
I have to admit I like the idea of a sin bin as an alternative to a red for some offences. The one, two or three games missed after a red only serves to help the next teams played not the team that has suffered a bad foul or a possible season ending injury to their player. Doesn't seem like justice to me.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Wouldn't there just be two forwards and two defenders at each end of the pitch and players constantly smashing the ball long to them to try and win whilst everyone else tries to keep up? It would be awful. Quick forwards would be useless as they couldn't get in behind defences any more.

Just put the offside law back to how it used to be, if a player is in-front of the last defender then they are offside (apart from the scenarios where they are not - ball going backwards etc...)

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
In the short term I don't see it changing the game too much. The players have been trained in such a way for so many years that I think it would take time for people to adapt.

I could also see it just being a case of more goals when people are chasing the game. Most teams long term would leave one or two up top that would have defenders on them. If chasing the game those two defenders would go forward leaving the two offside strikers alone to tap in past the keeper should the ball reach them

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
The defence would be played in the box to stop the massive centre forward from being able to head the ball in from long balls all over the pitch.

Also wingers would just sit well forward on either wing waiting for a channel ball from the full backs.

In other words... it would be shit.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Oh for **** sake leave the game how it is. Or actually tackle something which is of genuine concern, like time wasting when the ball is out of play.

Confounds me how stuff like this can be bandied around yet it took us getting ****ed for them to agree sticking a camera on the goal line.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Manu may well have been VFM.

#beforehistime.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports