Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Save DofE in Sussex

Mike90A

Dec 29, 2016
Some may be aware that funding for the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme in Sussex is on the brink of being scrapped due to funding cuts.

Many may believe that there are greater issues in the world than this however, the award scheme affects thousands of young people in Sussex every year!

If you feel this is a scheme that should not be lost in our area please use the following link to sign the following survey to show your support - https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petiti...nburgh-s-award-in-east-sussex?bucket=memblast

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How much does the council pay? The DofE scheme is a charity, and as a proud parent of a gold award winner, I know that I had to pay out (and I'm not moaning about that at all, by the way!).

Mike90A

Dec 29, 2016
Council employs two part time members of staff at around a total of 25/30,000 a year. These two handle every DofE centre in the entire Sussex area, to which the majority of schools have a group. Every expedition has to be signed off and approved including a reem of risk assessment forms.

Not a great deal of money in the 270,000 cuts they're looking for, when you consider the amount of people affected. Sussex has been an operating authority for at least 50 years.

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
Think East Sussex put in about £35k for two people to administer the scheme. I would pay more in Council Tax so that choices don't have to be made between D of E, services for old people, disabled etc. How about some local democracy and have a vote on Council Tax rather than be told what to spend by central government.
If D of E were to be cut can't see why expeditions couldn't be sponsored to raise the £35k.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Think East Sussex put in about £35k for two people to administer the scheme. I would pay more in Council Tax so that choices don't have to be made between D of E, services for old people, disabled etc. How about some local democracy and have a vote on Council Tax rather than be told what to spend by central government.
If D of E were to be cut can't see why expeditions couldn't be sponsored to raise the £35k.

How much more would you pay?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Participants can be charged to cover administration costs - at least they can if its being run by a school.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i thought this was a charity. why isnt it run and funded along normal charity lines, i.e. donations?

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
I fully support the D of E and have run groups in the past. However my view is that given the currentl funding crisis for councils to carry out even the essential statutory work around social care, disabilities, and child protection etc, I see D of E as perhaps one area that could be run as a community interest company. There are many wealthy parents in East Sussex who could support this.

Alternatively the duke could divert some funds from his multi million pound renovations for one of his many homes to support the organisation which promotes his name.

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
Signed and shared on Twitter. I completed my DofE Bronze award in 2011 and found the whole experience very rewarding. I volunteered as a cricket coach at my local club and for my skill I learnt how to cook which has greatly helped me now I'm at university. The expedition is also a brilliant way for teenagers often shacked up indoors (I was a regular gamer myself) to get out and experience the countryside whilst working as part of a team. Think it would be a great shame for the scheme to be scrapped

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sad times, but, when you are the 5th biggest economy in the world you have to be cash savvy and trim your costs in order to be competitive.....:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here