He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Too close to call in the pub

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Rephrase:
I know people who have had 9 dart checkouts.
I've never met anyone who's got a 147.

Last edited:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
147 a lot harder . I play Darts in a decent League on a Monday Night and have managed 5 perfect darts from the off ,where as in Snooker my highest break is 24 . Darts you are throwing at a fixed target in Snooker its the luck of the balls.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
147 harder by miles and miles if my experience is anything to go by. Used to play loads of both - have got within 2 darts of a 9 dart finish a couple of times and would expect to get 180s reasonably often, but only had two breaks of more than 50 at snooker despite 100s of hours playing, and both of those had several lucky shots. Anything over 20 was good !

Either that or I'm sh&t at snooker [emoji23][emoji23]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The 147 is harder. Putting on 20 stone and checking out with 9 darts seems difficult if you ask me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A shaved monkey could eventually throw a treble 20, it's impossible for it to make a 50 break, in snooker

Last edited:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
A shaved monkey could eventually throw a treble 20, it's impossible for it to a 50 break in snooker

843a8cd06e7451062ae9ceaa9d34fa95.jpg

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Used to play for the Amex (Edward St) snooker team years ago and averaged in single figures. Got a break of 49 one match and it was like an out of body experience, never even come close since. Remember the first televised 147 by Cliff Thorburn, amazing.

Stand corrected, just looked it up to check and it was Steve Davies.

Higgins recorded a 155 apparently but it was not officially recorded being because it was not a regular match. Also famous for a 3 min 100 break, most entertaining player ever in my book.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Used to play for the Amex (Edward St) snooker team years ago and averaged in single figures. Got a break of 49 one match and it was like an out of body experience, never even come close since. Remember the first televised 147 by Cliff Thorburn, amazing.

Stand corrected, just looked it up to check and it was Steve Davies.

Higgins recorded a 155 apparently but it was not officially recorded being because it was not a regular match. Also famous for a 3 min 100 break, most entertaining player ever in my book.
Try telling a quiz master that the maximum break in snooker is 155. It doesn't end well. Bug bear of mine - just because it is theoretical, doesn't make it impossible and it is therefore the correct answer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Try telling a quiz master that the maximum break in snooker is 155. It doesn't end well. Bug bear of mine - just because it is theoretical, doesn't make it impossible and it is therefore the correct answer.

In exactly the same way as '36' is not technically the correct answer to 'The most runs that can be scored from an over in cricket' - an infringement (free ball / no ball) leading to an additional scoring opportunity.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh, and the answer to this question, as most seem to agree, is DEFINITELY the 147. I'm bang average at both sports, but even I can throw a 180 occasionally. The 9 darter is no harder than throwing three of those back to back. Statistically slim, but not DIFFICULT. Any semi-competent thrower stood in front of a board for a couple of days, would eventually do it.

Snooker that is fundamentally not the case. You'd get absolutely nowhere remotely close, unless you were a very, very good player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here