Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vendee Globe Race

Anyone else following the progress of this?

Fascinating stuff, it’s raced solo, non-stop around the world and covers roughly 27,000 miles starting in France, going around The Cape of Good Hope, passing South of Australia, round Cape Horn and back to France.

After 72 days our very own Alex Thompson is 40 nautical miles behind the leader and catching him with only 350 nautical miles to go. Some of the competitors haven't even got out of the Pacific yet.:mad:

_45181041_vendee_globe_journ_466.gif

Nutters the lot of them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can he play #10?

Watched this from the beginning. Great effort by Alex Thompson with a damaged boat, but all of them have been phenomenal. Cant really see Alex catching Armel but it would be great if he could. I think people under estimate how difficult it is.
Thompson has been great for the event, bringing a real media presence.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5...es-d-armel-le-cleac-h-et-d-alex-thomson_sport

Thinks he hit a partialy submerged container didn't he and damaged the Port Side Foil.

I think it's fair to say that had he not taken that damage he would already be sitting on the dock swigging Champagne...!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
As always I've been gripped from the start, and the duel between Banque Populaire and Hugo Boss has been incredible. I've even been checking the Vendee Globe app in the middle of the night to see the latest rankings!

It doesn't look like he's going to catch him now, 40 nm just a wee bit too far and Armel has done a textbook job of covering Alex for the past fortnight (ie making sure his boat is directly between Hugo Boss and Les Sables, so Alex's options are limited).

But the timing of the final tack gives one last chance for change – I reckon that could happen any minute now, maybe even with the 12 noon update. And remember – Pete Goss once lost his keel just 50 miles from the finish, so strange things can happen...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Here they are; real time. Thomson is the yellow marked boat behind the blue boat, 40 miles apart. In the bottom right of the screengrab is a group of virtual yachts which have tacked and are heading for the finish, which is where the two real yachts have to go.

FireShot Capture 4 - Vendée Globe 2016 - http___www.virtualregatta.com_en_index_vendeeglobe2016..png

Mid-day rankings show Alex is now 36 nautical miles behind Armel.:banana:

At this rate they will cross the finish line together....!

Exciting stuff this, albeit in slow motion.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Is this the race where someone recently broke the world record by sailing more than 500 miles in one day?

I had no idea this existed ten minutes ago... now I am engrossed with the outcome and looking up all the back stories of the frenchies

Armel (current leader) has finished second on his last two Vendee Globes, if he blows it now it will be as big a capitulation as the French in 1914 and 1940.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Armel (current leader) has finished second on his last two Vendee Globes, if he blows it now it will be as big a capitulation as the French in 1914 and 1940.

The only reason I now care so much is because a Brit might beat the French... I would watch 7 hours of village bowls if it had the same potential outcome!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here