Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cup run

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Looks like we are getting a cup run whether we like it or not.Reserves to play at Lincoln so we have two teams to support.One club two teams.

Yea and a high chance of a rearranged Oakwell fixture I was looking forward to. Probably slap it on a Thursday evening for another ****ing overnight in yorkshire.

Ah well.:shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Blue skies is to get another winnable game in round 5 and be 12+ points ahead of 3rd by round 6 and play reserves in a League game so we can concentrate on Cup.

Would we put the reserves out against what is more likely to be PL opposition at that stage I wonder ? Tricky one.......

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Would we put the reserves out against what is more likely to be PL opposition at that stage I wonder ? Tricky one.......

I really don't care. It was great to see the 'second' team against the dongs and for them to get a meaningful game. If they beat Lincoln I would be very happy to see them up against Chelsea, as long as it didn't destroy their confidence.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I really don't care. It was great to see the 'second' team against the dongs and for them to get a meaningful game. If they beat Lincoln I would be very happy to see them up against Chelsea, as long as it didn't destroy their confidence.

Fair point. I quite enjoyed the MK game as well, good to be able to see the likes of Kayal coming back. Maybe CH will be happy with the 'free' extra match practice for the returners/cover. Cup run is good for that if nothing else.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Our 2nd XI is still a good Championship side.

Maenpaa
Adekugbe/Poco
BFG
Goldson
Rosenior
Murphy
Sidwell
Norwood
March/Bjordal
Towell
Hemed

Would be my chosen 11 assuming Kayal and Stephens get a chance together in the upcoming league games. I think this team would have a very good chance of getting to the 5th round.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fair point. I quite enjoyed the MK game as well, good to be able to see the likes of Kayal coming back. Maybe CH will be happy with the 'free' extra match practice for the returners/cover. Cup run is good for that if nothing else.

On one level, despite the possible risks involved, it might just be a good idea to play a full strength side in any cup run this season, simply to keep the momentum going. The players have shown a bit of a worrying tendency to switch off for the first game back after any kind of mid-season break.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We're on a hiding to nothing with this game. Watching some of the tackles, last night, there's a great risk of injury to our players. Everyone else in the country will be rooting for Lincoln, and it's a major banana skin, as far as I can see.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We're on a hiding to nothing with this game. Watching some of the tackles, last night, there's a great risk of injury to our players. Everyone else in the country will be rooting for Lincoln, and it's a major banana skin, as far as I can see.

I am not so sure about that. We can play reserves wanting to go through but if we lose we can pretend we didn't because we are concentrating on Promotion. I think its a good draw. The only draw back being. Lincoln looked better than your average Non League side

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I agree entirely. It's difficult, but I think it is a banana skin which we can hopefully carefully avoid slipping up on.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I was against the FA Cup this year due to our promotion chances but the more I think about it a cup run could be a good thing.

We've got some good players who aren't getting into the first team. Them playing a good amount of competitive football means they'll be more able to step in should we have injures in the first team.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I'd rather have their confidence destroyed than the first team's. But who's to say that they wouldn't do pretty well against Chelsea's reserves?

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Looks like we are getting a cup run whether we like it or not.Reserves to play at Lincoln so we have two teams to support.One club two teams.

Well, if you call getting to the 4th round of the FA Cup a 'run', then yes. That match up at Sincil Bank though, will be a stern test for us. Maybe even tougher than if we had faced Ipswich.

Moreover we never seemed to perform very well at Lincoln, back in their league days. Shades of Hillsborough and Deepdale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here