Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor at it again

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
His article (no link attached - sorry Andy) today starts with:

"The most meaningful result at the weekend came at the Olympic Stadium. Not because Palace were hammered - the manufactured rivalry with Albion has never really interested me.."

Get her!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

"The most meaningful result at the weekend came at the Olympic Stadium. Not because Palace were hammered - the manufactured rivalry with Albion has never really interested me.."

so true no real rivalry as in the past it was always Portsmouth until somebody in the Bosun spoke.and fans listened

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I guess he wouldn't be interested, as a Stoke fan! Aren't all rivalries manufactured anyway, some far more so than ours no doubt.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I guess he wouldn't be interested, as a Stoke fan! Aren't all rivalries manufactured anyway, some far more so than ours no doubt.

could ours be said to be 'manufactured'? As others said there wasn't a rivalry, then a whole succession of things happened in the late 70s that caused a lot of bad blood and this has persisted. I wasn't around then, but in what sense was it manufactured?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Classic example of a journalist writing something for themself rather than their readership.

Not really. Most older Albion fans also say the rivalry with Palace is a manufactured one. I've certainly never been fussed about their results

As BG points out, the real rivalry is with Portsmouth #twats

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Wind up merchant (aka "cock").

Yes, taking BG's point there may well have been an old rivalry with Pompey (presumably we were in the same division as them at some point in the 60s/early 70s?) but for most Albion fans it is obviously about Palace.

Our very real rivalry with Palace is part of being an Albion fan and the intensity of the rivalry (evidenced by big crowds and great atmospheres for lower division clashes) is a source of pride.

What always escapes the Palace rivalry naysayers is that until Crawley came along (and they are correctly ignored) Palace is the nearest league club to Brighton. If we are to have a local(ish) rival then it is absolutely right for it to be them.

Naylor is irritating but I suppose he would be pleased about that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not really. Most older Albion fans also say the rivalry with Palace is a manufactured one. I've certainly never been fussed about their results

Think you're in a minority there. I love seeing Palace lose, nothing manufactured about it for me.

And though I also despise Portsmouth, and am revelling in their extended spell in the mickey mouse leagues, they are absolutely not our rivals. Their rivalry is and always has been Southampton. There is nothing sadder than a club pretending that they're the main rivals to another club who couldn't give a toss about them - now that IS manufactured.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Get her!

I saw this too. surely the rivalry is the opposite of manufactured as it grew ORGANICALLY over a period of time building from lots of games in a short period plus the nicknames, Mullery etc. Not manufactured at all.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I guess most fans under 60 would place palace as our main rival, I'm in my 40's and it's always been palace. Naylor fishing for clicks.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As for Naylor, I actually think he's a very good journalist who writes balanced match reports, and more often than not his analysis is spot on. I have absolutely no problem with him not being a fan of BHAFC. Its not his job to be a cheerleader, he calls it as he see's it and that's what I like to read.

He lets himself down with the odd pointless little snipe like this though. He's not a fan, so why write something from a fans perspective ? How BHA fans feel about CPFC2010 is none of his beeswax, so he can keep that crap to himself and just do what he's paid to do, ie report on the team and the club.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I always thought that the rivalry started in the 74-75 season, when they came down to the Third div, and played us early on. They brought a lot down, and were acting billy big bollox, at the ground and on Hove station after the game, and,we,as a crowd took offence, and from that day, the hatred started.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bizarre comment from AN. No one cares what you (a Stoke fan) thinks about the Palace BHA rivalry. Get over yourself, be a professional.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Think you're in a minority there. I love seeing Palace lose, nothing manufactured about it for me.

And though I also despise Portsmouth, and am revelling in their extended spell in the mickey mouse leagues, they are absolutely not our rivals. Their rivalry is and always has been Southampton. There is nothing sadder than a club pretending that they're the main rivals to another club who couldn't give a toss about them - now that IS manufactured.

Personally I hate Pompey more than Palace, but you are correct here. It's unrequited so we moved on from them around 1974. You can see that on NSC - how many Portsmouth fans do we get on here?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
As for Naylor, I actually think he's a very good journalist who writes balanced match reports, and more often than not his analysis is spot on. I have absolutely no problem with him not being a fan of BHAFC. Its not his job to be a cheerleader, he calls it as he see's it and that's what I like to read.

He lets himself down with the odd pointless little snipe like this though. He's not a fan, so why write something from a fans perspective ? How BHA fans feel about CPFC2010 is none of his beeswax, so he can keep that crap to himself and just do what he's paid to do, ie report on the team and the club.

Agreed. Apart from Wilko's point that the rivalry is anything but manufactured why on earth would a Sussex residing Stoke fan feel the need to comment at all?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

Fair enough, I have enough loathing to cover both.:thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here