Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Stop attacks on NHS medical staff.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
After seeing Nick Ferrari speaking about attacks on NHS medical staff, I thought I would please ask if you could sign this petition for support, in favour of changing the law, to being a criminal offence, in the same category of assaulting a police officer.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/176138

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presente...violence-on-nhs-staff-nick-ferraris-petition/

Latest figures reveal that the total number of assaults in the year to the 31st March 2016 was 70,555 whereas in 2011/12 it was 59,744. Dil Patel is just one of those who's suffered an attack while trying to help:

Of the 2015/16 assaults 17,851 did not involve factors such as medical illness, mental ill health, severe learning disability or treatment administered. However only 1,740 of these assaults resulted in criminal sanctions.

With stretched resources, higher demand and rising waiting times, the NHS can ill afford this violence.

Nick insists that it MUST extend the higher legal provision and protection given to police officers to NHS medical staff. We must make it a specific offence to assault them.

This would be similar to the Police Act 1996 which enshrined in law the specific offence to attack a police constable conducting their duties.

Nick says: "It is unacceptable that attacks on medical staff are not treated in the same way we'd treat an attack on police officers.

"In Scotland there is a specific law against assaulting a member of the NHS medical services. It should be the same across the UK."

Dr Mark Porter, the chair of the British Medical Association council, which is supporting the campaign said: "I hope that this campaign will help to make a real difference to reducing the number of serious incidents that all doctors and medical staff are subjected to.

"As workloads rise, and staff are under greater pressure from the demands of patients that are harder to meet, the risk that patients take out their frustration on those who are trying to help them increases. The mechanisms must be there to minimise the likelihood of attacks, to support staff who experience them, and to ensure that anyone who commits an act of violence is dealt with appropriately."

Kim Sunley of the Royal College of Nurses also told LBC: "Health care staff work extremely hard in what are very challenging conditions. It is unacceptable that they are at risk of assault simply by going to work.

"This campaign is vital in raising awareness of the dangers NHS staff face – and why wilful assaults must never be tolerated. Nursing staff need to be treated with the care and respect they show patients every day."

Sam's Story
Sam is a nurse and told us: "It should have been a nine-man team to go in and give him medication. Due to staff shortages, we actually only entered the room with three people. The patient was very aggressive and had injured people in the past.

"I was dedicated the 'head' person, so I would take control of the head. When we went into the room, my two colleagues went on to his arms. He went to kick out, so I went down on to his legs. He levered himself up on the nurses' arms and drop-kicked me straight in the side of my face.

"I suffered two fractures to my cheekbone, a massive black eye and bruising and swelling all the way down the left side of my face."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
assault is already an offence. why is nursing being singled out, what about social workers, teachers, fireman, doormen, bar staff or anyone else assaulted during their work? shirley a better law and enforcment on assault for all is required.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
They should be refused any service or care. (Ever if I had my way)

My wife is a paediatric nurse so luckily misses the worst but some people are just scum unfortunately

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Should get 5 years minimum.....bloody last people in the world you should attack:censored:

To be fair, axe-wielding homicidal manics that hear voices in their heads telling them to kill are probably the last people in the world you should attack. But I get your point.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They should be refused any service or care. (Ever if I had my way)

My wife is a paediatric nurse so luckily misses the worst but some people are just scum unfortunately

Bloke wandering round the hospital where I work, yesterday, effing and blinding about wanting a fag, no shoes on, either pissed (despite the early hour) or a jellybrain (his mother may possibly be his sister). Female nurse and big security lad (but minimum wage type) wandering round after him. This is a hospital FFS, not a bloody nightclub where trouble is the reason why bouncers are employed, and profit is the purpose. Its a ****ing hospital. If I were in danger of being attacked every day by the people I 'service' (students) I would expect some back up and some penalties. Medical staff are not special people, BTW, and this petition is mainly about how COMMON this is. It is every day stuff. . . . exemplary punishment is required. If schoolteachers were subject to similar on a daily basis I'd back it for them, but by and large they are not. Yet . . .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably a medical student.

Deffo not. Ours are all very pleasant..... albeit, what they get up to in their own time, etc etc.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Signed.

Should be extended to any poor sod who has to deal with the public without any management support (apart from being sent on some poxy course to 'Manage difficult situations') - bus drivers, job centre / benefit office staff etc., etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
assault is already an offence. why is nursing being singled out, what about social workers, teachers, fireman, doormen, bar staff or anyone else assaulted during their work?
If someone is being a dick to bar staff, they get refused service and bouncers will probably give them a beating. NHS have to try and help these abusive ****ers. Doormen probably dish out more than they get, and it's somewhat in the job description. It's just more of a problem for the likes of the NHS and police.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Done.

193 attacks a day FFS

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I don't see the point as it's already covered by Common Assault.
The reason there is a separate and specific offence of Assault on a Police Officer is that it was thought that as the police are in a unique position there should be specific provision (not sure I agree with that either).
The fact is that when sentencing Common Assault, Magistrates MUST take account of any aggravating and mitigating factors when deciding a sentence (its called "Structured Sentencing"). The Sentencing Council's guidelines give examples of aggravating factors and include "On hospital/medical or school premises" & "Victim serving the public". With a starting point for the offence being Community Penalty, it's likely that an assault in a hospital would include both these aggravating factors and would therefore move the sentence up the scale to Custody.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
done with pleasure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here