Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adekugbe

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I was very surprised to see him in the team yesterday (alongside Goldson). I immediately feared the worst for our defence against a good Preston side. However I was agreeably surprised. He seemed better in offence than defence, but from the start he showed spirit and ambition. Very early on he tried some ambitious passes. He's clearly got guts and determination. Not a bad debut on a bad day for the Albion...

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Thought he played well, few misplaced passes but I feel most of those were due to not knowing his teammates movement well enough yet.

Blatter

Feb 27, 2012
I was very surprised to see him in the team yesterday (alongside Goldson). I immediately feared the worst for our defence against a good Preston side. However I was agreeably surprised. He seemed better in offence than defence, but from the start he showed spirit and ambition. Very early on he tried some ambitious passes. He's clearly got guts and determination. Not a bad debut on a bad day for the Albion...

Agreed. Thought he had a good game against MK Dons and that he was worthy of this start. He showed pace and a willingness to come forward. There were several occasions where he tried to get one-two's going with Skalak that would have put him clear down the wing, but Skalak didn't seem to realise these moves were on? Three players all vying for the left-back position. Not a bad situation to find ourselves in.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm in a minority thinking that he didn't have a good game yesterday. Showed plenty of pace in defence but looked a bit lost and doesn't have the same final ball ability as Bong, Poco or Rosenior. Having said that, he hit a volley that was deflected for a corner in the first half that could have either been a worldy or Row Z special. Worth noting that Ive played rugby all my life and last played football as a kid, so I'm not the most knowledgeable fan.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Me too. When I I saw him run out, and realised that Bong and Pocognolli were both missing, I too feared the worst, however, as you say, I thought he acquitted himself really well. Early days for him, so bound to be a few teething troubles to be ironed out, but overall one of our better players yesterday.

To be fair, on the odd occasion I have seen Adekukbe play, be it for the development squad, or in the EFL Cup, he has really impressed. A better prospect than Rob Hunt maybe?

That said, the sooner we get Bong and/or Pocognolli fit again, the better.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm in a minority thinking that he didn't have a good game yesterday. Showed plenty of pace in defence but looked a bit lost and doesn't have the same final ball ability as Bong, Poco or Rosenior. Having said that, he hit a volley that was deflected for a corner in the first half that could have either been a worldy or Row Z special. Worth noting that Ive played rugby all my life and last played football as a kid, so I'm not the most knowledgeable fan.

Give the lad a bit of a chance, he is still only 21, and this was his league debut. His final ball is never going to be as good as Bong, Pocognolli, or Rosenior . . yet!

But as first games go, I thought the lad did pretty well. The more games he plays, the better he will get.

el punal

I agree with all that. I really must go to Specsavers, when I arrived at the ground I thought Bong had changed his hair style. Silly me! :blush:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We should sign him permanently imo. Shows a lot more than most of the u23 squad. He's not the finished article but got good attributes I think...

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Thought he was ok but ultimately felt it was one change to many with Goldson also coming in and we were generally shaky in defense overall.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Wouldn't be surprised if that's his one and only league appearance for Albion . Not that he's been that bad in the games I've seen him, I just don't think he's anywhere near the quality needed for where we are heading

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It has been my biggest complaint of the Albion over the last 15 or so years that I have been attending regularly that we don't give young players enough of a chance to break through.

I hope he gets a few more games, he seemed decent in the F.A Cup

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
I was at the Kassam to see him score a spectacular goal in the EFL Cup before having to come off with a fairly long term injury. Thought he did really well in the FA Cup against the franchise as well. After his performance yesterday, having been thrown in at the deep end on short notice, if he is not considered a good prospect for us (Premier League or not), then I don't know if we will ever develop any youngsters into top players!!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Wouldn't be surprised if that's his one and only league appearance for Albion . Not that he's been that bad in the games I've seen him, I just don't think he's anywhere near the quality needed for where we are heading

He's 21. What did you expect? ???

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I can't help feeling one or two posters are being a little harsh here. A young lad makes his debut from the DS at left back when THREE senior players in Bong, Poc and Rosenior aren't available together with our star centre back and midfielder. Naturally he is judged not good enough by some based on this one performance.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He's 21. What did you expect? ???

You just get a hunch with some players. Like when solly came in, you just knew he was special......
Sam looks raw, even for a young player.
Then again , I thought Matthew wicks was bloody fantastic so it may just be possible I know less than Chris hughton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here