Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Titanic Documentary (Titanic: The new evidence)

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Does it mention that in addition to being a moderator on this board and being a member of London's leading Choral group, Titanic once climbed out of his bedroom window to go to watch Chelsea in a night match at the Goldstone?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Saw this at the time of broadcasting.

Seems incredible that the Titanic went to sea with a fire raging in its coal store. Prestige and greed it seems led to the deaths of all those people.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Saw this at the time of broadcasting.

Seems incredible that the Titanic went to sea with a fire raging in its coal store. Prestige and greed it seems led to the deaths of all those people.

Yeah we watched this the other week. Fascinating stuff and very sad that corner cutting and greed were actually the major reasons for the disaster.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Surely where there's blame there's a claim for family members.

There was some form of compensation based on what was known at the time but I wonder if these new findings will lead to new claims?

"The Titanic Relief Fund, set up by Ernest P. Bicknell in his capacity as director of the American Red Cross, raised $161,600.95 for Titanic survivors and families of the victims. (the British component raised $2,250,000)."
"In October 1912, the Oceanic Steam Navigation Company (more commonly known as the White Star Line) filed a petition in the Southern District of New York to limit its liability against any claims for loss of life, property, or injury. In this petition, the White Star Line claimed that the collision was due to an "inevitable accident." "In the Matter of the Petition of the Oceanic Steam Navigation Company, Limited, for Limitation of its Liability as owner of the steamship TITANIC" (A55-279) is a part of the National Archives holdings in New York City...
Over several days in June and July 1915, testimony continued. Negotiations carried on outside of court led to a tentative settlement with nearly all of the claimants in December 1915. The settlement was for a total of $664,000 to be divided among the claimants."

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
There was some form of compensation based on what was known at the time but I wonder if these new findings will lead to new claims?

"The Titanic Relief Fund, set up by Ernest P. Bicknell in his capacity as director of the American Red Cross, raised $161,600.95 for Titanic survivors and families of the victims. (the British component raised $2,250,000)."
"In October 1912, the Oceanic Steam Navigation Company (more commonly known as the White Star Line) filed a petition in the Southern District of New York to limit its liability against any claims for loss of life, property, or injury. In this petition, the White Star Line claimed that the collision was due to an "inevitable accident." "In the Matter of the Petition of the Oceanic Steam Navigation Company, Limited, for Limitation of its Liability as owner of the steamship TITANIC" (A55-279) is a part of the National Archives holdings in New York City...
Over several days in June and July 1915, testimony continued. Negotiations carried on outside of court led to a tentative settlement with nearly all of the claimants in December 1915. The settlement was for a total of $664,000 to be divided among the claimants."

One would think it should make a huge difference setting off on a voyage knowing of a fire, I doubt one passenger would have boarded that ship if they had been made aware vast difference than hitting an iceberg.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Surely where there's blame there's a claim for family members.

Which is why the authorities probably chose to basically ignore the fire when carrying out the public inquiry into the disaster.

Was that national pride / fear of the damage it would have on the British reputation, etc..., political pressure or simply something like bribery by those involved to hush it up ?

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
See also:

Titanic: the ship that never sank?

One for the conspiracy theorists, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm sure my parents told me about this fire - and they've both been dead for 19 years. I'm sure it's never been a secret.

From what I was told, they were going as fast as they could to try to get to New York to put the fire out as they hadn't been able to control it and it was getting worse. It was because they were going faster than was safe that the collision occurred.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm sure my parents told me about this fire - and they've both been dead for 19 years. I'm sure it's never been a secret.

From what I was told, they were going as fast as they could to try to get to New York to put the fire out as they hadn't been able to control it and it was getting worse. It was because they were going faster than was safe that the collision occurred.

Watch the documentary if you can, it covers things like the coal strike meaning that they only just had enough coal on board and had they slowed for the ice flows that they would have probably run out of fuel and failed to make their maiden voyage unaided through to the effects of the fire and how it caused the bulkheads to warp and fail

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Watch the documentary if you can, it covers things like the coal strike meaning that they only just had enough coal on board and had they slowed for the ice flows that they would have probably run out of fuel and failed to make their maiden voyage unaided through to the effects of the fire and how it caused the bulkheads to warp and fail

Shamefull cover-up. Right up there with the Aberfan and Hillsborough. Unfortunately too late for any further compo now, it would be impossible to prove unless they could raise the warped bulk heads up from the sea and as far as i know, White Star don't exist anymore.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Shamefull cover-up. Right up there with the Aberfan and Hillsborough. Unfortunately too late for any further compo now, it would be impossible to prove unless they could raise the warped bulk heads up from the sea and as far as i know, White Star don't exist anymore.

White Star merged with Cunard in 1934, to become White Star Cunard, which became Cunard in 1950.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Haven't seen this yet - what's the deal? - there was a fire, so they had to rush, then hit an iceberg?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

Why would slowing down increase the rate at which you go through your coal supply? All contemporary Royal Navy practice points the other way... they proceeded at a leisurely pace from place to place, excepting immediately before and during action to stretch their coal.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I think I'm right in saying that White Star stopped all pay for surviving crew members, on the day the collision happened.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why would slowing down increase the rate at which you go through your coal supply? All contemporary Royal Navy practice points the other way... they proceeded at a leisurely pace from place to place, excepting immediately before and during action to stretch their coal.

was thinking similar line. to add not consistent if you have "just enough" coal and its burning, so reducing, to continue onwards. doesnt really sit right that you can have a fire on a boat and carry on, and keep it secret, unless its a minor business as usual event. wish i'd seen it now, i thought it would be a tired old rehash, not a new conspiracy.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As others have said, this all happened so long ago, and with any evidence now at the bottom of the sea, this can't be proved either way. As conspiracy theories go however, I find this quite incredible. Disturbing to me that many people on here actually choose to believe it despite the lack of any real evidence!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
was thinking similar line. to add not consistent if you have "just enough" coal and its burning, so reducing, to continue onwards. doesnt really sit right that you can have a fire on a boat and carry on, and keep it secret, unless its a minor business as usual event. wish i'd seen it now, i thought it would be a tired old rehash, not a new conspiracy.

It's still available to watch on catch up until the end of the month

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/titanic-the-new-evidence/on-demand/64665-001

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here