Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ferring FC in the County League

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Oh and one more thing on this, they will dribble over non league Salford when they get into the football league, please don't even ask me why.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Pretty much agree with everything you say there. I remember the inauguration of the SCFL Div 3, all played on recs with roping off. This was totally correct for intermediate football. It was correct for lower senior too. But the laws laid down by the FA now are not only unsustainable but completely ridiculous. The FA, despite all their bleatings, could not give one fck about grass roots football. They expect, for example, EP, my local club, to have 100 seats. Why? They don't even get 100 people through the gate. Expense. Everything is expense. And yes I know of the grants, but they don't cover total costs that are forced on these local sides. The FA, the FL, the PL have no interest in our national game other than to take the money out of it. They hate EP, they hate the Prelim rounds of the FA Cup. Having been in it for many years I have seen clubs ruined by the FA and their demands. Local clubs, just trying to be successful, totally screwed from the top level. If you lose the point of success where do you go? The ties couldn't care less about non league.

Very true S.N.
Ringmer dropped out of the Sussex county league this season . Referees and lino's fees for most games came to over £150 per game which they wouldn't get that in gate money then every season the F.A would up the anti by making extra facility demands .The ground is now sold for developmentand the club relocating to the school with new facilities and 3g pitch .AFC Ringmer currently use the caburn ground and is made up of local lads and have 3 teams play there think the top ones in mid Sussex prem and they have to pay to play .I hope Afc ringmer carry on as its just all locals and not full of mercenaries. Also with the new revenues generated by the 3g this should see football in the village guaranteed for rhe next 30 uears .Btw Ringmer got to the fa cup 1st round in 1971 lost [MENTION=28861]COL[/MENTION]chester 3-0 the same year colchester went on to beat Leeds!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Very true S.N.
Ringmer dropped out of the Sussex county league this season . Referees and lino's fees for most games came to over £150 per game which they wouldn't get that in gate money then every season the F.A would up the anti by making extra facility demands .The ground is now sold for developmentand the club relocating to the school with new facilities and 3g pitch .AFC Ringmer currently use the caburn ground and is made up of local lads and have 3 teams play there think the top ones in mid Sussex prem and they have to pay to play .I hope Afc ringmer carry on as its just all locals and not full of mercenaries. Also with the new revenues generated by the 3g this should see football in the village guaranteed for rhe next 30 uears .Btw Ringmer got to the fa cup 1st round in 1971 lost [MENTION=28861]COL[/MENTION]chester 3-0 the same year colchester went on to beat Leeds!

I agree to a point, but unfortunately local clubs do not help themselves by at times paying ludicrous amount of money to amateur players that are no better than average, the FA knows this and rightly in my opinion try to divert those funds to a more long lasting legacy of decent facilities.

I remember looking at Peacehaven & Telscombe FC at the end of their era of dominance early 90's (accepting they weren't BIG payers at that time anyway) but the facilities were dilapidated, they had had the success but ultimately nothing to show for it, now it is a good overall facility.

I watch a fair amount of SCFL 1 and I think as always you get some good teams and some poor teams, no difference than in previous eras but at least I can either watch it in the dry of the stands or the comfort of a secure part of the perimeter barriers, seems a good pay off between paying players or trying to improve facilities or a mix of both.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Southern combination probably not the standard of the old county league,very difficult to get players to play each week as too many other distractions,as soon as the lads turn 18 they discover nightclubs beer cocaine and girls.Still players on £200 a week in the second tier of the southern combination(in a very small minority though)???

The team currently at the top of the Second tier don’t pay their players a penny.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I agree to a point, but unfortunately local clubs do not help themselves by at times paying ludicrous amount of money to amateur players that are no better than average, the FA knows this and rightly in my opinion try to divert those funds to a more long lasting legacy of decent facilities.

I'm pretty sure that probably isn't quite so prevalent now?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was Vice Chairman of Ferring FC about 20+ years ago when they first got promoted to the Sussex County League from the West Sussex League and we had to build a stand, which is still there, and a chap named Peter Strutt used to come in on Saturday morning and put a tarpaulin all around the pitch to close it off. They had an old man Tom Carver who objected to the closure of the common land known as The Glebe so at each home game just as they kicked off he walked across the pitch with his wheel barrow, turned it upside down in the centre circle and sat on it to have a smoke. At the time Ferring were reliant on Ivor Culver and Phil Welman and their familioes for survival both of whom have sadly passed on but there sons had long association with Ferring FC . I am told by brother in law who lives in Ferring and drinks in he club house that one of their coaches/ management team is a friend of Bruno who he has seen at their training.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I was Vice Chairman of Ferring FC about 20+ years ago when they first got promoted to the Sussex County League from the West Sussex League and we had to build a stand, which is still there, and a chap named Peter Strutt used to come in on Saturday morning and put a tarpaulin all around the pitch to close it off. They had an old man Tom Carver who objected to the closure of the common land known as The Glebe so at each home game just as they kicked off he walked across the pitch with his wheel barrow, turned it upside down in the centre circle and sat on it to have a smoke. At the time Ferring were reliant on Ivor Culver and Phil Welman and their familioes for survival both of whom have sadly passed on but there sons had long association with Ferring FC . I am told by brother in law who lives in Ferring and drinks in he club house that one of their coaches/ management team is a friend of Bruno who he has seen at their training.

I remember all that, didn't have much affiliation with Ferring but did play for their reserves in the WSFL as a mere 15 year old, not many times I might add. Steve Welman and his brother Scott were very instrumental in their rise to the SCFL as players, before they moved on. I remember their dad.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm pretty sure that probably isn't quite so prevalent now?

Sorry, which bit ?

It seems it has already been confirmed some clubs are paying money beyond their players reasonable expenses, why encourage those clubs to squirt their resources to transient amateur players without much chance of sustained success whilst ignoring to improving their own facilities ?

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I played at Ferring for a few years, it was a great club in the 80’s in the county league, we had a very good side and a lot of players went in on to better things. The club was earlier in the season being run by an old player from those days and as someone mentioned Bruno had attended training sessions to help out. The objectives was forget results and just bring some young players through in readiness for next year. From what I saw they played some good stuff, but was inexperienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sorry, which bit ?

It seems it has already been confirmed some clubs are paying money beyond their players reasonable expenses, why encourage those clubs to squirt their resources to transient amateur players without much chance of sustained success whilst ignoring to improving their own facilities ?

Hang back fella, I am not advocating an argument here, I am just saying I don't think the money being slushed around a few years ago, is probably less prevalent now, that is all.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Hang back fella, I am not advocating an argument here, I am just saying I don't think the money being slushed around a few years ago, is probably less prevalent now, that is all.

Firstly when I started with 'sorry, which one' it was meant as a genuine courteous start to my post.

Anyway I think my point still stands that when low level clubs continue to pay money above expenses to their players it weakens their hand should they then feel aggrieved to have to maintain or improve their own facilities.

As I understand it the criteria for having to invest in facility upgrade usually depends on that clubs progression, which usually means that club has had a higher than average playing budget to be able to succeed at the previous level anyway.

I have no doubt that the FA imposes some frustratingly petty demands on clubs facilities which can prove expensive, but the general principle of encouraging clubs to maintain their facilities leaving a long term legacy with more comfort and safety for spectators seems a reasonable aspiration, especially whilst some retain a surprisingly high playing budget for a team/club kicking around in the tenth tier of English football.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I have no doubt that the FA imposes some frustratingly petty demands on clubs facilities which can prove expensive, but the general principle of encouraging clubs to maintain their facilities leaving a long term legacy with more comfort and safety for spectators seems a reasonable aspiration, especially whilst some retain a surprisingly high playing budget for a team/club kicking around in the tenth tier of English football.

http://thebootifulgame.co.uk/2019/0...ilities-worse-to-comply-with-new-regulations/

Does seem very petty but then I guess rules is rules.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

*cough* Whitehawk *cough*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here