Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ferring FC in the County League

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
http://thebootifulgame.co.uk/2019/0...ilities-worse-to-comply-with-new-regulations/

I have no great admiration for the FA, I am pro non league clubs and wish them only the best and that example seems plain daft but that really isn't my point, I just think that reasonable encouragement to upgrade facilities seems to be a good thing, I accept that many clubs survive purely on selfless committee members and other volunteers that work tirelessly that may think any imposed costs might just seem yet another obstacle for them, but many of them nearly unknowingly are doing their work to subsidise transient amateur footballers which if you think about seems just as daft as anything the FA may impose upon them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Steyning?! That's amazing if true.

Alfold pay lots of money for that standard.

Indeed, I can only go by what the club state, categorically. I watch them quite often, and know the chairman and others who volunteer "work" for the club. They are quite vociferous in stating that no-one is paid to play for them. They even get the players who live in proximity to each other to double up on transport to keep travel expenses down.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didnt a butcher who had shop in Ferring put a lot of money into some local clubs at different times and Steyning was one IIIRC. I think his name may have been Barry Youell or similar.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Didnt a butcher who had shop in Ferring put a lot of money into some local clubs at different times and Steyning was one IIIRC. I think his name may have been Barry Youell or similar.

A good friend of mine played for him whilst he was at Worthing, a nice fella by all accounts but one of those that is never likely to last. My mate got paid good money back in the late 80's very early 90's yet still he was allowed to go along to his butchers shop and was given a weekly free hamper of meats as well, I think it all went wrong with Youell not just at Worthing but with his personal life and he did a 'runner' to South Africa or something similar.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A good friend of mine played for him whilst he was at Worthing, a nice fella by all accounts but one of those that is never likely to last. My mate got paid good money back in the late 80's very early 90's yet still he was allowed to go along to his butchers shop and was given a weekly free hamper of meats as well, I think it all went wrong with Youell not just at Worthing but with his personal life and he did a 'runner' to South Africa or something similar.

I thought that he went to Southwick and fell foul of Sussex County FA and was banned from all football.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I thought that he went to Southwick and fell foul of Sussex County FA and was banned from all football.

I seem to recall he went to Southwick, Steyning no doubt a few others and was probably always in some conflict with the FA, he rocked up to Worthing perhaps 91/92'sh got Butch Reeves and Eric Whittington as managers and got a few names players in but was gone before the end of the season ..........

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Indeed, I can only go by what the club state, categorically. I watch them quite often, and know the chairman and others who volunteer "work" for the club. They are quite vociferous in stating that no-one is paid to play for them. They even get the players who live in proximity to each other to double up on transport to keep travel expenses down.

Excellent stuff, good for them.

They have got a nice set up there.

There are teams paying three leagues below them, including one in Sunday League!!!!

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Steyning?! That's amazing if true.

Alfold pay lots of money for that standard.

Steyning are definitely paying- nothing wrong with that at all, but there is no doubt- I know of 3 people they've offered money to to sign for them this season!

Clubs always say they aren't paying as they don't want to gain a reputation of paying, or for it to diminish their achievements, don't be fooled.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Barry Youell was manager of Steyning during their heyday in the early/mid-80s when they had a great run to the Quarter Finals of the Vase. Chris Metcalfe was one of the midfield.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Are you referring to Steyning or Alfold?

Regardless, both of them are definitely paying players.

Steyning are definitely paying- nothing wrong with that at all, but there is no doubt- I know of 3 people they've offered money to to sign for them this season!

Clubs always say they aren't paying as they don't want to gain a reputation of paying, or for it to diminish their achievements, don't be fooled.

Maybe I’m just too trusting of the people I know. But if you know they are paying players, then I guess I’m wrong.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Barry Youell was manager of Steyning during their heyday in the early/mid-80s when they had a great run to the Quarter Finals of the Vase. Chris Metcalfe was one of the midfield.

It’s amazing what little old Steyning achieved in the 80s under Ray Macarthy, Alan Pook and then Barry Youell. Alas, not many home grown players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here