Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What made Alan Shearer such a successful forward?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Not the fastest, we always hear about how crucial pace is! Not the most skilful, so what were the details that made him so successful infant of goal?

283 in 559.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
He was a typical old fashioned English CF, who has worked hard to get goals from all areas of the opposition's half, and being canny enough to be in the right place at the right time.
Also kept his image clean to become a decent pundit.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Strong in the air, strong in general, absolute rocket of a right foot and didn't need much space/time to use it. Wasn't bad with his left either. An altogether excellent finisher due to being a very cool customer and plenty of confidence (perhaps a bit too much) in his own abilities.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
An understated, manly goal celebration. He wouldn't have been half as successful without that. I bet he worked on it for months on end while a teenager. All that hard work paid off though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think he's been the best all -round striker in the English game since Greaves - great in the air, strong, could score from distance, so consistent, great with Sutton, Sheringham, Ferdinand, good team player - he had the lot.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
For me, watching a couple of the clips, his timing hitting the ball is excellent.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Could score on the turn from 30 yards. Great in the air. One of the best I've ever seen at rolling a defender and getting his shot off quickly.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Strong in the air, strong in general, absolute rocket of a right foot and didn't need much space/time to use it. Wasn't bad with his left either. An altogether excellent finisher due to being a very cool customer and plenty of confidence (perhaps a bit too much) in his own abilities.

Totally agree with all of this, he wasn't very tall either. He was strong on the ball, he was a modern day Lineker, had all Lineker's attributes, 6 yard poacher amongst them, but was an all round striker. And how bloody good in the air was he? Considering his height, phenomenal. Oh he wasn't a bad crosser/winger either. And nothing wrong with a little arrogance/confidence, that is how park players become professionals.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Mental toughness. It's what defines the better players. It's absolutely absurd that players like him are not utilised by the FA. Imagine being in the England Under 18 team and him talking to the strikers about the nuances that can't really be taught.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
On a serious note, I've just looked at that video of him at Blackburn - there's about 10 worldies in it. So strong, able to create space with ease, gets off his shot so quickly and with such power. The complete package.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
On a serious note, I've just looked at that video of him at Blackburn - there's about 10 worldies in it. So strong, able to create space with ease, gets off his shot so quickly and with such power. The complete package.

Who wasn't being serious?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Shoots hard and early from almost any distance. Rarely looks for an assist. Aims for the woodwork not the centre of goal (where the keeper is more often than not). Mentally strong - no self doubt.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I saw his debut for Blackburn at Palace, and if I remember correctly, he got a hat trick, or at least two goals, one of which was an absolute rocket from 35 yards. Unfortunately, Blackburn's defence was as leaky as a sieve, and they didn't get the victory they deserved, with the match ending as a 3-3 draw. I heard an anecdote a couple of years later that Shearer was on £10,000 per week with Blackburn when he signed. They then signed Chris Sutton on £12,000 per week. Shearer asked to be on the same conditions as Sutton, and was given a pay rise to the same amount. Those seemed high wages in the mid-1990s.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Agree with all the attributes that have been mentioned thus far. Also, I would throw in technique -- to strike the ball as hard as he does/did whilst keeping the ball down requires great technique.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The same thing that makes him a slightly annoying pundit...........Confidence

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I remember the day when 'side show bob' took over as manager of Newcastle Utd, decided to drop AS in 2013 v Sunderland.
Stage left manager gone, stage right is the power of AS!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He did have very good pace escpecailly until 26/27 ? when injuries got hold a bit, total all round forward, scored all sorts of goals, no weakness to his game at all.

Great Great player.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
He wasn't that quick, look at him having a leg race with Palister or Bruce in that clip, he doesn't get out of his shadow!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here