Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion U18s v Cambridge Utd U18s, FA Youth Cup 4th Rd, Amex Stadium, Friday - Kick-off 7pm

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
On Friday evening Albion U-18s host Cambridge United in the 4th round of the prestigious FA Youth Cup, the first time the team have progressed to this stage in five years. They did so with a convincing 2-0 win over Derby County in the 3rd round last month when they played some excellent football.

For those who don't pay close attention to Albion's youth team, the following players will be hoping to play a part:

Goalkeeper: Second year scholar George Hobbs seems to be out of the picture having played only 5 matches this season and not having featured since October. Therefore England U-17 international Tom McGill will likely start between the posts with U-16 George Bentley on the bench.

Defence: Albion have had issues in the centre of defence this season. Sam Golan, the tall American who joined the club as a first year scholar last season, returned from whence he came in the summer. First year Sam Rolph suffered a serious ankle injury in September and he only returned to the bench last Saturday. Danny Barker has been pushed into midfield in recent months which meant that Reading's first year, Jamal Balogun, came in on work experience. He was partnered initially by trialist Nikola Tavares (previously with Brentford, and who has now moved on to Crystal Palace) and then Tottenham's Joy Mukena. For the Derby tie Barker was back in the middle with Owen Moore (who is usually a right-back).

At right-back, Moore is the first choice but Archie Davies (normally a midfielder) has filled in there on occasion and Hamish Morrison made his first appearance of the season off the bench against Arsenal on Saturday.

At left-back, Republic of Ireland U-18 international Rian O'Sullivan has been the usual selection but first year scholar and England U-16 international Alex Cochrane is another option.

Midfield: For the Derby tie Jayson Molumby was brought back into the side for the first time in 12 months (having become a staple in the U-23s). His fellow countryman Danny Mandroiu was very impressive as he scored a penalty, put David Ajiboye away down the right which led to the second goal and generally was involved in most things Albion did going forward. Max Sanders (who has recently become a part of the U-23 squad) is likely to start and other competition for places comes from the two first years from Eastbourne, Isaac Hutchinson and Charlie Ferguson (who made his first start on Saturday), and Tyrese Fornah.

Attack: The fleet-footed David Ajiboye is a contender to start on the right-hand side and cause problems with his trickery and pace. On the left, Spaniard Luis Garcia was another who impressed in the Derby tie. Up front, Albion can no longer call upon Thomas Byrne who returned to Ireland in November. Reece Meekums suffered injury against Spurs in October and has since required surgery. That probably means that another Irishman, Aaron Connolly will lead the line, with Icelandic Stefan Ljubicic providing another option along with U-16 (and England international) Danny Cashman.

If you are in the vicinity of the Amex on Friday evening why not try to get along and witness the potential Albion first team stars of the future.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am pleased to be around this evening so will definatly go now. Thanks for this great team breakdown. I watch the U23's whenever I can, so it will be great to catch the players who will be progressing into this outfit.

I assume it will be free parking out at the ground.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The U23's play West Ham at home on Monday so I imagine they are going to play him in that, I believe he still 18. He played away against Newcastle last week so I would asume he will be in the Squad to face West Ham down here next week.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I see we also have a Sussex Senior cup game next Wednesday as well against Pagham, and that the next round of the FA Youth Cup has also been drawn. Away at Stoke or Forrest for tonights victors. A busy time for games for both teams.

Attachments

• FA 22.jpg
    FA 22.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 632

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I've just seen tonights winner is away to Stoke who beat Nottingham Forrest 4-1 after somone got an early hatrick for Stoke. Played on the 10th of Jan.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The Cambridge United line-up (and they win the double-barrelled surname contest):-

[TWEET]819967249700130817[/TWEET]

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion name the same starting line-up that beat Derby County in round 3:-

[TWEET]819970749129703424[/TWEET]

And the same bench:-

[TWEET]819970981477416961[/TWEET]

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The U23's play West Ham at home on Monday so I imagine they are going to play him in that, I believe he still 18. He played away against Newcastle last week so I would asume he will be in the Squad to face West Ham down here next week.

FA Youth Cup will always take preferance over any normal U23's game, FA Youth Cup is a nationally acclaimed competition, similarly it can be quite a damning assessment of those that will be subs, especially if they are second year scholars.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Which of the U18's will cover the 3 U23's that have gone out on loan?

Tom Cadman has only made a couple of starts for the U-23s this season, so his place will barely need to be covered. But, to answer your question, 2nd year scholars Max Sanders and Archie Davies have been a part of the U-23 squad in the last 2 or 3 matches.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The match is being broadcast live on Seagulls Player for those who wish to watch it.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
0-0 at half-time.

Albion having a majority of the possession, and creating a handful of chances, but their shooting has been wayward.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here