Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snow Socks - a must for driving on snow and ice.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
imgres.jpg

Used these a few years back when we had two big falls of snow over Xmas. Brighton was at a standstill and I was driving a cab at the time. These things were fantastic, easy to put on/off and grip like a ninja. Better than the 'all terrain' ones in Halfords. Make sure you get the ones with the furry surface, best grip. I think the ones I got were off the interweb thingy, AutoSock if I remember correctly. The white stuff is coming, be prepared and drive safe.
Note for all 4X4 drivers. You may have slightly better grip on snow/slush but on ice/packed snow, you are just 4 wheel slide.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
Have had a pair of Auto Socks in the car for the best part of 5 years. Not had to take them out of the bag yet!

We're off to the French Alps in 4 weeks, and I have just bought a set of snow chains in case it REALLY flumps down. They're probably destined to remain in the storage case for aeons too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It will be gone by the morning!

I'd be quite happy to be proved wrong, but I suspect it won't lay, if it even appears in the first place.

Btw, old socks worn over shoes give really good grip in the snow.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Have had a pair of Auto Socks in the car for the best part of 5 years. Not had to take them out of the bag yet!

We're off to the French Alps in 4 weeks, and I have just bought a set of snow chains in case it REALLY flumps down. They're probably destined to remain in the storage case for aeons too.
From my experience of living in France there are certain areas where you must by law have chains and others Winter Tyres.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
View attachment 81093

Used these a few years back when we had two big falls of snow over Xmas. Brighton was at a standstill and I was driving a cab at the time. These things were fantastic, easy to put on/off and grip like a ninja. Better than the 'all terrain' ones in Halfords. Make sure you get the ones with the furry surface, best grip. I think the ones I got were off the interweb thingy, AutoSock if I remember correctly. The white stuff is coming, be prepared and drive safe.
Note for all 4X4 drivers. You may have slightly better grip on snow/slush but on ice/packed snow, you are just 4 wheel slide.

OK for Sussex, but beware if you want to use them in European ski reports -they are not regarded as highly as chains or winter tyres.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
View attachment 81093

Used these a few years back when we had two big falls of snow over Xmas. Brighton was at a standstill and I was driving a cab at the time. These things were fantastic, easy to put on/off and grip like a ninja. Better than the 'all terrain' ones in Halfords. Make sure you get the ones with the furry surface, best grip.

Ahh!

NOW I get it. I took mine back as they were all baggy and I couldn't get my shoes on.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
OK for Sussex, but beware if you want to use them in European ski reports -they are not regarded as highly as chains or winter tyres.

I'd counter that, snow chains are pretty crap. Think about it, you've got to dick about in the snow with bare metal, not a comfortable experience, you also run the gauntlet of the things breaking (this happens often) and getting wrapped around your axle. I always used bags and they were far superior, in my opinion.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Stand down the snow chains. Repeat, stand down the snow chains.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Maybe a quick scrape with a CD case, leave the engine running with the heated front window in the morning and all is well.

If the car is still there......:moo:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
View attachment 81093

What happens if you get a hole in your snow socks, do the police pull you over and tell you to darn them? :p

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
From my experience of living in France there are certain areas where you must by law have chains and others Winter Tyres.

Spend a lot of time in Denver and they have lights that flash when you are required to have chains on, the cops wait round the corner and if you don't have them on you get hit with like $1,000 fine.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I'd counter that, snow chains are pretty crap. Think about it, you've got to dick about in the snow with bare metal, not a comfortable experience, you also run the gauntlet of the things breaking (this happens often) and getting wrapped around your axle. I always used bags and they were far superior, in my opinion.

This. Chains are a nightmare especially as you have to take them off when on tarmac ( same as socks, otherwise they degrade super quick ). I tried chains and it was a mare, fumbling around in the freezing cold to get them on and off then trying to drive with frozen hands covered in shite. Socks are so much easier, on and off in under a few minutes, in the bag, in the boot, off you go.

Also, some brands are acceptable for travel in Europe where it is compulsory to have them.

This from Auto Sock

"Auto Sock tyre socks meet the requirements of ÖNorm V5121 and are approved for use as a snowchain alternative in France, Czech Republic, Slovenia and New Zealand.

AutoSock are the only snow socks that have been tested and approved to be used in France as an equivalent snow chain product. You will need to make sure you have the correct sticker if you are going to be using AutoSock in France. (Available from Auto Sock)."

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here