Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - staying up around 'Uddersfield for the weekend after the away game

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We're thinking about staying oop North for the weekend after the Huddersfield game. A quick look at a map suggest that the Peak District might be a decent place to be based. Neither of us have ever been. We've heard of Buxton, of course, so that's a starter for 10.

Any suggestions for towns/places to stay/visit please?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Hathersage is nice, as is Castleton. I've only ever gone for days out, rather than staying.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We stayed in Harrogate when driving up to Edinburgh. Nice part of the world. it's about an hours drive north of Huddersfield.

Mind you we had nice weather.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Edale is very pleasant.

The village of Eyam is one of my favourite places in the country. When the plague first hit the village in 1665, caused by fleas infecting some cloth being sent to the local tailor, the villagers decided to not let it spread and instead isolated themselves. Nearly two-thirds of the villagers died as a result, but the infection did not end up elsewhere in the county.

A noble thing to do.

Unpopulist

Dec 24, 2016
I live in Holmfirth. 7 miles from Huddersfield and just a big hill away from Peak District. Plenty of good pubs and restaurants in the area. It has a claim to fame but I've stopped mentioning it as it's become a bit boring.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I live in Holmfirth. 7 miles from Huddersfield and just a big hill away from Peak District. Plenty of good pubs and restaurants in the area. It has a claim to fame but I've stopped mentioning it as it's become a bit boring.

Haha! I was born in Holmfirth and have stopped using that claim to fame now with certain people because a) it's boring b) some people have never heard of the TV programme that I can't mention for fear of boring you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Random guess: where last of the summer wine is filmed?

Thanks for the tips all.... google, TripAdvisor and booking.com will be busy tonight...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

My mother was born in holmfirth.

North Yorkshire is fabulous..knaresborough/ skipton/ Harrogate/ York.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Does it involve three elderly men accidentally going down a steep hill in a bathtub?

Every week. :shootself

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's all nice round there. Just get out and about. Locals are typically very welcoming and friendly with cracking sense of humour. Go enjoy!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My mother was born in holmfirth.

North Yorkshire is fabulous..knaresborough/ skipton/ Harrogate/ York.
Yes, but that's like someone asking for advice on Brighton and being told Windsor and London are great...?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, but that's like someone asking for advice on Brighton and being told Windsor and London are great...?

What?

We have been to North Yorkshire many times to stay with relatives and holidays. Not sure what your point is

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Haha! I was born in Holmfirth and have stopped using that claim to fame now with certain people because a) it's boring b) some people have never heard of the TV programme that I can't mention for fear of boring you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the best fish and chips ive ever eaten was in Holmfirth.
Was helping a mate with his new company working from home, further up the hill in Victoria, and used the boozer in Holmfirth. Landlord was a 'character'. Well, pissed.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Spent a few days in the area last summer. Was really impressed by Hebden Bridge and Haworth.

Not sure February's the best time to visit, though. What about staying in Leeds?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Matlock is nice, you have the Heights of Abraham cable car thingy nearby too. lots of good walking places around, Castletown etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here