Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace fans in disbelief at Benteke being sold?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/...d-this-month/story-30048432-detail/story.html

Crystal Palace fans in disbelief at reports star striker could be sold this month

Christian Benteke has been linked with a move away from Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace fans have scoffed at suggestions that club record signing Christian Benteke could leave this month – less than six months after joining from Liverpool.

A report by the Daily Mirror suggests that Benteke could reluctantly be sold in January to generate funds to help boss Sam Allardyce strengthen his Palace squad for the second half of the campaign.

Benteke has scored eight goals in 18 Premier League games for Palace since joining in a club record deal, which was reportedly an initial £27m, with the potential for another £5m in add-ons.

But the former Aston Villa and Liverpool striker has not scored in five games, and has missed crucial penalties against both West Ham and Watford this season.

However, Palace fans have taken to social media to respond to the report, suggesting that they cannot see it happening, even if the club receive a bid of around £30m.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm sure, if it were true, that there would be a queue of clubs willing to part with north of £30m for such a star.

Your not wrong either, 8 goals in 18 games with a 13 million profit, nice bit of business.

Although I somewhat doubt the story as its silly season in the papers.

GUOAN NOWHERE Crystal Palace ace Christian Benteke has rejected a £40m move to Chinese side Beijing Guoan
Crystal Palace hitman to reject offer from Beijing Guoan in favour of helping south Londoners stave off relegation threat
But the Crystal Palace hitman is ready to rebuff a £40million bid to prise him away from the Premier League.
t’s obviously a very tempting offer from a progressive club looking to keep up with big-spending Shanghai duo SIPG and Shenhua, who have bought brought Oscar and Carlos Tevez respectively.

Keep up to date with ALL the Crystal Palace news, gossip, transfers and goals on our club page plus fixtures, results and live match commentary.

And the money, around £165,000 per week, is a fair boost on his Eagles wages, thought to be around the £100,000-a-week mark.

On top of that Belgium international Benteke, 26, cost Palace £27m from Liverpool in July and more sceptical Palace fans fear the club may like to cash in on the former Liverpool striker.

But it seems he is ready to roll up his sleeves and back new boss in the south London club’s relegation fight.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
lets be serious for a moment, why do they need to sell to make funds available? where has all the money gone already? iirc they brought in Benteke and Townsend, selling Bolasie for a large chunk to offset most of that, so they shouldnt be hard pressed to fund players already. sad reflection of football if they do need to sell to buy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
lets be serious for a moment, why do they need to sell to make funds available? where has all the money gone already? iirc they brought in Benteke and Townsend, selling Bolasie for a large chunk to offset most of that, so they shouldnt be hard pressed to fund players already. sad reflection of football if they do need to sell to buy.

There was something discussed on here before and I'll be honest, it wasn't something I was aware of nor do I really understand it. Copy and pasted from the excellent Swiss Ramble (http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/crystal-palace-mind-over-money.html):

One challenge that Palace will have to confront is the Premier League’s new Financial Fair Play rules, or more accurately its Short Term Cost Control regulations. Given their return to profitability, they will have no problems meeting the loss targets (no more than £105 million aggregated over a three-season period between 2013 and 2016), but they might well have issues with the wage bill targets.

Specifically, clubs whose player service costs are more than £52 million will only be allowed to increase their wages by £4 million per season for the three years from 2013/14. However this restriction only applies to the income from TV money, so any additional money from higher gate receipts, new sponsorship deals or profits from player sales can still be spent on wages.

Parish is aware of this problem: “There are regulations, cost control measures and targets we have to hit. And we were close with ‘issues’ in that respect.” My guess is that they have just about managed to stay within this de facto salary cap in 2014/15, though this could be a real headache in future years – unless the rules are amended in light of the new TV deal.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so there's a team salary cap/restriction? they need to offload wages to allow for new wages? that would make sense, bit under the radar.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
There was something discussed on here before and I'll be honest, it wasn't something I was aware of nor do I really understand it. Copy and pasted from the excellent Swiss Ramble (http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/crystal-palace-mind-over-money.html):

One challenge that Palace will have to confront is the Premier League’s new Financial Fair Play rules, or more accurately its Short Term Cost Control regulations. Given their return to profitability, they will have no problems meeting the loss targets (no more than £105 million aggregated over a three-season period between 2013 and 2016), but they might well have issues with the wage bill targets.

Specifically, clubs whose player service costs are more than £52 million will only be allowed to increase their wages by £4 million per season for the three years from 2013/14. However this restriction only applies to the income from TV money, so any additional money from higher gate receipts, new sponsorship deals or profits from player sales can still be spent on wages.

Parish is aware of this problem: “There are regulations, cost control measures and targets we have to hit. And we were close with ‘issues’ in that respect.” My guess is that they have just about managed to stay within this de facto salary cap in 2014/15, though this could be a real headache in future years – unless the rules are amended in light of the new TV deal.

Somehow this has completely passed me by. What is the punishment if you don't meet these criteria? Financial? Points deduction? Or just a ruddy good telling off, don't do it again type thing?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Parish stated on the radio that it is just not a case of going and getting players in, as they have cost control restrictions that they are close to reaching that ceiling, So if they probably got rid of Benteke and Cabaye they could probably bring in 4 or 5 more players on less money. Thats how it come over to me listening to him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
so there's a team salary cap/restriction? they need to offload wages to allow for new wages? that would make sense, bit under the radar.

Somehow this has completely passed me by. What is the punishment if you don't meet these criteria? Financial? Points deduction? Or just a ruddy good telling off, don't do it again type thing?

I really don't know how it works. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] will be the man, clearly, but it has been mentioned elsewhere, eg: http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football...help-struggling-eagles_sto6002648/story.shtml says the below:

Allardyce also revealed he expects Palace to have to move players on in order to bring in a raft of new arrivals in January.

"There's an overlying factor of a wage cap that everyone seems to forget about in January," said Allardyce.

"If we hit the limit in January then there will be no more players in."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
In truth, the absolute best thing that could happen for Palace (and plenty of other Prem teams in a similar position) is a Chinese club coming in for one of their players and him being happy to move for the cash.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
It would be funny if they went down because they could not pay the wages players want to sign in January due to the regulations and yet be one of the top 20 richest clubs

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Man City got a fine and a transfer ban, I believe?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here