Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex full of South Africans

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex have just announced they've got David Wiese back for next season ... but as a Kolpak this time.

That's Van Der Zyl, Philander and Wiese in the team this season (and we can still sign another overseas player as Philander is only here in the first half of the season). We're going to struggle to meet the guidelines on seven English-qualified players at this rate.

We should do better in the limited overseas this season though, we're going to have a side back with people who can bat

I also missed that we signed Laurie Evans, he's a decent option for middle order

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sussex have just announced they've got David Wiese back for next season ... but as a Kolpak this time.

That's Van Der Zyl, Philander and Wiese in the team this season (and we can still sign another overseas player as Philander is only here in the first half of the season). We're going to struggle to meet the guidelines on seven English-qualified players at this rate.

We should do better in the limited overseas this season though, we're going to have a side back with people who can bat

I also missed that we signed Laurie Evans, he's a decent option for middle order

I know they're jumping the Brexit gun, but it's starting to get silly how many South Africans are quitting and signing Kolpaks. There's no money in South African cricket, but it's not good for the game there or here in my opinion.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I know they're jumping the Brexit gun, but it's starting to get silly how many South Africans are quitting and signing Kolpaks. There's no money in South African cricket, but it's not good for the game there or here in my opinion.

You could understand fringe players like Van Der Zyl and Wiese going but Hampshire have signed Abbott and Rossouw - both very much part of the SA setup and, of course, Rudolph and Prince also gave up regular international cricket.

And that's before we mention a certain Mr Pietersen ...

South Africa must be worried about the way things are going

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It's partly because the Rand is so weak. They can earn a lot of money in their winter and live on it at home in their summer.

Not sure how this strategy fits with Rob Andrew's inaugaration line on the 'exciting young Sussex talent'?? Looks to me like we are focussing almost excusively on white ball cricket. Machan's wrist is still hurt; Finch has broken his thumb again and Wells has returned home with a hip problem. Davis has said we are signing no more batters. Looks like a dubious strategy to me, hope I'm wrong.

PG

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's partly because the Rand is so weak. They can earn a lot of money in their winter and live on it at home in their summer.

Not sure how this strategy fits with Rob Andrew's inaugaration line on the 'exciting young Sussex talent'?? Looks to me like we are focussing almost excusively on white ball cricket. Machan's wrist is still hurt; Finch has broken his thumb again and Wells has returned home with a hip problem. Davis has said we are signing no more batters. Looks like a dubious strategy to me, hope I'm wrong.

Where did you see about Machan, Finch and Wells (and returned from where?)? There's nothing on the SCCC website about them.

I did see that Yootha will be playing some games in the CC next year - that's good news that I'd missed

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Where did you see about Machan, Finch and Wells (and returned from where?)? There's nothing on the SCCC website about them.
It was in Steve Hollis's SCCC page in the paper copy of The Argus last week.

I did see that Yootha will be playing some games in the CC next year - that's good news that I'd missed
Only if we are short (we are!) and if he has nothing btter to do in Ireland. He has a contract with Cricket Ireland now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was in Steve Hollis's SCCC page in the paper copy of The Argus last week.

Only if we are short (we are!) and if he has nothing btter to do in Ireland. He has a contract with Cricket Ireland now.

Nothing on the Argus website about Wells or Finch but does mention Machan's wrist.

I think we're going to need Joyce sooner rather than later

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm glad this thread is about Sussex County Cricket Club, I thought Sussex the county had been invaded when I read the thread title. :smile:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

PG

Also the enforced quota of 6 players of colour in the Test side on average over the season. You can see the desire to perform better at white ball cricket as that is the format that draws the larger crowds and therefore revenue.

I'm still excited about seeing Archer bowling for the whole season as he looked useful when he came into the side. Could be fun times facing his effective bouncer.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I'm glad this thread is about Sussex County Cricket Club, I thought Sussex the county had been invaded when I read the thread title. [emoji2]
They won't be back for a while after the beating Japan gave them last year!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here