Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA CUP - Squad Opportunity or First Team ?

squad rotation exercise

• Rest the first team - fresh for the league games

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • vary depending on opposition

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • vary depending on progression

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • use the squad - its a reward for no regular 1st team game

Votes: 25 24.3%

• Total voters

skr80

Oct 9, 2003
At what stage , or opposition, should the regular first team players be used?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
One other factor - how far ahead are we in the league?

By the time the 6th round comes, if we are still in the cup, we could be virtually out of sight in the league.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
The answer has to be vary depending on progresson.

If we get another couple of rounds of very winnable games, then why not continue to give the second team/squad players game time. If somehow by doing that we find ourselves in the quarters AND we are well clear in the league then surely you would put out your best team.

It won't happen though. Leeds away in the fourth round, we put out our reserves and lose.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I hate myself for thinking it but only ever backup players this season. Whatever we want to happen, the FA Cup of old has gone. A big draw is a big draw against a big team's reserves. And the chance of injury or suspension to a key player is just too big to risk at this stage of the season given where we are. I don't like the ridiculous money in the modern game and the way that the PL is always the goal but it is what it is. We are not sustainable long term with the current level of investment in the team so going up must be the only goal this year. I miss the excitement/disappointment of Sudbury, Canvey Island, Kingstonian etc as well as Liverpool away meaning Liverpool away and not Liverpool reserves. But wanting the magic to come back doesn't mean it will and we have much bigger fish to fry at the moment. Doesn't stop me being nostalgic for when the FA Cup was also a big fish though. But £200 million for reaching the PL against £2 million and annoying Thursday night games for a few months for winning the FA Cup is no contest for modern teams.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Impossible to answer as there are so many factors. Injuries, opposition, how big the gap is with third.

The good news is, our 'reserve' team isn't far off being a top half championship side which helps to make progressing and resting players easier :)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Happily our second string is strong and getting stronger now with the return of Kayal, March and Rosenior. Barring injuries we should be able to put out a team capable of beating most Championship and lower sides without including too many first 11 players.

If we draw a big Prem club away you play the second string and get knocked out as you would if you put the first XI out.

Simple really, second string.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The team that beat MK should be the team to play in round 4, no matter who the opposition is.

People will argue that if we're playing a big PL team then we should put out the strongest squad possible but I disagree. Firstly, it is unfair on the players who got us into round 4 and secondly, a well rested 1st team gives us more chance of being promoted to the league where we'd be playing PL teams every single week.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I'd stick with the second string of players to give them game time and not jeopardise our league performances in any way. If we happen to get say Chelsea or Man United in the next round, I'd still play the second string. I wouldn't want to risk any first team players, and we'd be expected to lose no matter what side we put out anyway.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Use the 'reserves', everyone bar the FBs and possibly Towell that started against MK Dons are good enough to be in the first XI, and it's good to see them get game time.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd stick with the second string of players to give them game time and not jeopardise our league performances in any way. If we happen to get say Chelsea or Man United in the next round, I'd still play the second string. I wouldn't want to risk any first team players, and we'd be expected to lose no matter what side we put out anyway.
We'd automatically lose at home if we play a top PL side? Let's hope we don't get promoted them.......................

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If Albion have the chance to use players that do not feature regularly for the first team, then it's a no brainer!
No point them sitting on the sidelines, only coming on when a dire emergency calls for.
Blood them now to gain the experience, it'll be worth it in the long run.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
our first 11 should be able to beat most Premier clubs, or we have a problem coming up. i'd be inclided to agree continue playing the second team to avoid injury etc though, and it seems fair they get the big game if they got there. becomes a more difficult balance the further you go though.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The first team squad are all good solid players, the team we put out against MIlton Keynes would probably give a mid table Championship team a run for their money.

Just use the squad, mix and match, rest the ones that need resting play the ones that are short of game time, play the strongest team in the final!

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
We'd automatically lose at home if we play a top PL side? Let's hope we don't get promoted them.......................

Not what I said at all. Let's hope you learn to understand the English language.

I said that we'd be expected to lose against a top PL side, which we would. For that reason, I wouldn't risk playing the first team players in the hope of pulling off a cup upset, when promotion is our main target.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here