Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will Mike Dean (T$SSER) referee us again?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
With his likely relegation could we miss him altogether IF we go up and he comes down. A bit like Palace?

Or will the football league in their wisdom give him to us for the title decider at Villa?!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We will get him this season for sure, and it will be for an absolutely CRITICAL match. We will BOOOOOOOO him to the rafters, and he will turn in a massively one-sided refereeing display. Which side he favours is the big question - you can't predict the mood of Mike (unless you're Spurs).

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
The FA will surely not allow him to ref any of our games. Not only would the reception from the fans be awful, but I know that the players hate his guts as well.

Liam Rosenior mentioned it on the way up to Birmingham and stated that we wouldn't get him for at least two years? Not sure if he knows something us fans don't but I certainly hope that's right...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I mentioned Ron Challis in a thread last week. IIRC (and this is something Tim Carder would know), it was nearly two years after the replay before Challis reffed another game at the Goldstone. Such was his reception, I don't think he got another game

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
I mentioned Ron Challis in a thread last week. IIRC (and this is something Tim Carder would know), it was nearly two years after the replay before Challis reffed another game at the Goldstone. Such was his reception, I don't think he got another game

It must be something the FA do then - as Liam Rosenior said it would be at least two years before he ref'd one of our games again (As i said above)... by then, we'll be in the prem anyway so it wouldn't matter, but can't wait for his return!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think the fa have an issue because they also didn't overturn the red card for Stephens on appeal. So they either say he was right and we have to live with it (and him) at some point or its wrong and they keep him hidden.

I had read that 5 of his last 6 red cards had been overturned. That means only the Stephens one was upheld. That's an awful stat.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I think the fa have an issue because they also didn't overturn the red card for Stephens on appeal. So they either say he was right and we have to live with it (and him) at some point or its wrong and they keep him hidden.

I had read that 5 of his last 6 red cards had been overturned. That means only the Stephens one was upheld. That's an awful stat.

Stephens was his last red card last season, he's had 5 reds this season and I don't think they have all been rescinded as the Southampton v Spurs wasn't so somebody writing bollocks again

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

I agree it's an awful stat, mainly as it isn't true.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Red card 1 - Spurs v Sunderland - Januzai for 2 yellows NOT rescinded
Red card 2 - Bournemouth v Sunderland - Piernaar for 2 yellows NOT rescinded
Red Card 3 - Spurs v West Ham - Reid for 2 yellows NOT rescinded
Red Card 4 - Southampton v Spurs - Redmond straight red NOT rescinded
Red Card 5 - West Ham v Man U - Feghouli straight red RESCINDED

And before that his last red card was Dale Stephens and we know that was definitely not rescinded so yet again so called journalists write crap but there is a slight Spurs bias in red cards against them though

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I don't know if this is true but I thought the competing clubs are consulted when the relevant bodies decide the referee's for games.

I'd imagine the Albion would strongly object if Mike Dean was suggested to ref our game....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Red card 1 - Spurs v Sunderland - Januzai for 2 yellows NOT rescinded
Red card 2 - Bournemouth v Sunderland - Piernaar for 2 yellows NOT rescinded
Red Card 3 - Spurs v West Ham - Reid for 2 yellows NOT rescinded
Red Card 4 - Southampton v Spurs - Redmond straight red NOT rescinded
Red Card 5 - West Ham v Man U - Feghouli straight red RESCINDED

And before that his last red card was Dale Stephens and we know that was definitely not rescinded so yet again so called journalists write crap but there is a slight Spurs bias in red cards against them though

I don't know where the stat / claim came from, but surely it referred to his last 6 STRAIGHT reds, as it is not possible to appeal a dismissal for 2 yellows.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Mike Dean is recognised as a walking problem for the Referee's Association, the Prem, the EFL, and the Players. I think he's 47 now, and approaching retirement age. It would not surprise me one bit if they paid him off at the end of this season, to save everyone the pain and embarrassment. There are actually,some pretty good refs emerging at the top level now, and the aura around Mike Dean's lack of competence is bringing down the growing reputation of pretty good refs. It would only cost about £40k to pay him off, I'm sure that could be found easily.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I don't know where the stat / claim came from, but surely it referred to his last 6 STRAIGHT reds, as it is not possible to appeal a dismissal for 2 yellows.

This, I am pretty sure I saw something listing his last six straight red cards and five of them had been rescinded. Only Stephens wasn't.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38549470

Referee Mike Dean one of Premier League's best - Mark Halsey

Mike Dean remains one of the Premier League's best referees despite an "indifferent" festive period, says former official Mark Halsey.

Dean has received criticism for some of his recent performances and the number of red cards he has shown - five in 15 matches this season.

Ex-Premier League referee Halsey thinks Dean can come across as "arrogant".

He also believes only a handful of referees are "trusted" for the league's most important games.

Dean, who has been a Premier League referee for 16 years, controversially sent off West Ham's Sofiane Feghouli during the Hammers' defeat by Manchester United on 2 January, while the red card was later rescinded by the Football Association.

That dismissal was the official's 26th since the start of the 2013-14 season - the highest number by any current Premier League referee in that period.

"If you look back over the December period, he has had an indifferent period," Halsey, 55, told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I have disagreed with some of his decision-making, especially the sendings-off.

"It is not an easy job to do. He is one of the most experienced and is a very good referee - one of the best of the bunch we have got.

"He does come across as a little bit arrogant. I would like to see that taken out of his game and perhaps he would get a lot more respect from the paying public and the media.

"But that is not the way he is off the pitch - if truth be told, the players like him."

Listen to more from Halsey on BBC Radio 5 live
'No leadership or direction'

Halsey, who retired in 2013, says the standard of officiating has "got steadily worse" since Keith Hackett retired as general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) in 2010.

"Mark Clattenburg is by far our best referee, then there is Martin Atkinson, Michael Oliver, Andre Marriner, Anthony Taylor and Mike Dean. The top games, the big derbies, can only be refereed by four or five referees. The PGMOL do not trust the others to take control of those games," he said.

Halsey also criticised the new way referees are assessed. There is now an "evaluation system" that can take up to 10 days to issue feedback rather than an assessor at the ground.

He added: "It could be 10 days before you get closure on a game on a Saturday. You can go into your next game without any closure on a previous game.

"Look at the top referees, they are confused. There is no leadership or direction coming from within."

'Clattenburg could go to China'

Clattenburg, 41, has said he would consider officiating in the Chinese Super League.

He refereed the finals of the FA Cup, the Champions League and the European Championship in 2016.

Asked if he would be surprised if Clattenburg went to China, Halsey added: "No I wouldn't. There is no love lost between Clattenburg, the FA, and PGMOL.

"There is a lot to sort out. It needs a massive overhaul. We have got excellent referees not being coached correctly - people involved in referring who have never been involved in referring at that level."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mike Dean is recognised as a walking problem for the Referee's Association, the Prem, the EFL, and the Players. I think he's 47 now, and approaching retirement age. It would not surprise me one bit if they paid him off at the end of this season, to save everyone the pain and embarrassment. There are actually,some pretty good refs emerging at the top level now, and the aura around Mike Dean's lack of competence is bringing down the growing reputation of pretty good refs. It would only cost about £40k to pay him off, I'm sure that could be found easily.

£10 pledged here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here