Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tube Strike!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So our hardworking girls and boys earning a pittance are on strike today, are they jumping on the bandwagon or have they a genuine grievance?

Where's Stubsy when I need him?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as i understand this is a dispute over closing ticket offices, which was done years ago, due to the fact they dont do much now with so many people using oyster. as i recall there was only voluntary job losses and natural attrition. the union wants those jobs reinstated for reasons that escape me, and found Khan has just rolled over and accepted this, so its everybody out.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
as i understand this is a dispute over closing ticket offices, which was done years ago, due to the fact they dont do much now with so many people using oyster. as i recall there was only voluntary job losses and natural attrition. the union wants those jobs reinstated for reasons that escape me, and found Khan has just rolled over and accepted this, so its everybody out.

Don't even need an Oyster these days. Contactless cards, and Apple Pay etc all work and cap prices at travelcard prices.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
They pretty much ravaged station staff numbers when they closed the ticket offices. Widespread upheaval of all staff moved around the network with a complete restructuring of grades. I think 840 jobs went in the end and even the management have admitted it was too many. Staff now struggle to cover duties, have to close stations to facilitate meal breaks or leave outer lying stations unmanned. Trying to get hold of staff to assist during incidents can be so hard at times which then calls onto question the safety of having so few staff around. Will it make a difference? I doubt it, but if you see the queues at places like Kings Cross for the ticket machines, you really do wonder at the judgement of closing those ticket offices.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They pretty much ravaged station staff numbers when they closed the ticket offices. Widespread upheaval of all staff moved around the network with a complete restructuring of grades. I think 840 jobs went in the end and even the management have admitted it was too many. Staff now struggle to cover duties, have to close stations to facilitate meal breaks or leave outer lying stations unmanned. Trying to get hold of staff to assist during incidents can be so hard at times which then calls onto question the safety of having so few staff around. Will it make a difference? I doubt it, but if you see the queues at places like Kings Cross for the ticket machines, you really do wonder at the judgement of closing those ticket offices.

It may be the stations I travel between, but there's always staff on hand whenever I travel on the underground (and I should know as my season ticket doesn't work through the ticket machines, so I always need assistance).

I caught the River Bus from London Bridge Pier to Canary Wharf today. Very nice journey.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
As someone who moved to London because I couldn't deal with the incompetence of Southern, I know find it ironic I'm being screwed by TfL as well :censored:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Absolutely! It isn't just about issuing tickets, it's about having the necessary staff on the ground to handle all kinds of roles and situations that may occur.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Clapham Junction station had to be closed this morning due to dangerous overcrowding. Buses there and elsewhere a shambles. Congestion terrible.

In transport terms, now is the winter of our discontent. No doubt the DfT will entirely wash their hands of it. What do they actually do?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I had to leave the house laughably early to get in at about the same time as normal this morning. It's taken some of my colleagues three hours to get here. We face the same to get home, or worse. For public transport to be in the state it's in, in the capital city (and much of the surrounding area) of one of the world's developed countries, would be laughable if it weren't so important. There will, no doubt, in future be tube and rail strikes co-ordinated to coincide, and London will grind to a halt completely.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Clapham Junction station had to be closed this morning due to dangerous overcrowding. Buses there and elsewhere a shambles. Congestion terrible.

In transport terms, now is the winter of our discontent. No doubt the DfT will entirely wash their hands of it. What do they actually do?

I cycled from Leytonstone to Tottenham Court Road today, it was absolute CARNAGE everywhere. More cyclists than the summer, the buses looked ridiculous, road capacity just stupid. When I got around Bank and in to the central it was genuinely dangerous with the amount of people walking on the pavement, there were so many people that they were just being pushed in to the road with no choice, genuinely like a mini crush. Where it goes pavement, cycle lane, bus stop I saw a couple of crashes where cyclists were cycling through and just to the sheer volume of people getting on and off buses were just pushed in to the cycle lane.

How has it come to this that the British public just accept it and get on with it?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I cycled from Leytonstone to Tottenham Court Road today, it was absolute CARNAGE everywhere. More cyclists than the summer, the buses looked ridiculous, road capacity just stupid. When I got around Bank and in to the central it was genuinely dangerous with the amount of people walking on the pavement, there were so many people that they were just being pushed in to the road with no choice, genuinely like a mini crush. Where it goes pavement, cycle lane, bus stop I saw a couple of crashes where cyclists were cycling through and just to the sheer volume of people getting on and off buses were just pushed in to the cycle lane.

How has it come to this that the British public just accept it and get on with it?[/QUOTE]

That is actually the point. All 3 parties to these disputes, the government, the management and the unions all know that the patience and the tolerance of the British public is almost limitless and play on it relentlessly in pursuit of their political aims. The situation will not change unless the general public begin to seriously challenge what is going on instead of meekly accepting it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The unions will be loving it then.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Sadiq Khan promised 'zero days of strikes' during London mayoral election campaign. London Mayor previously said walkouts were sign of failure.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...on-tfl-tube-strike-january-2017-a7516851.html

He also said he wouldn't put up ticket prices which I guess he can claim he hasn't.....as long as you read the small print and that is was only single fares that wouldn't increase.

I hate tube strikes more than southern ones. The City goes into meltdown. This morning was bonkers people cramming themselves on busses because they are too lazy to walk.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Its quite funny today listening to all of the girls in my office say how bad their journey was today due to the tube strikes.

finally, they may have just a small glimpse of what commuting with southern is like everyday!

Although my boss still wouldn't let me work from home tomorrow!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here