Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice please on smart TV bundles/internet

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I trust some of you on here, :facepalm:so here goes:blush:

An elder lady friend of mine has a smart tv. She also has internet with her landline package.

Her internet deal and router etc is 6 years old, with Talk Talk.

I know nothing really of smart tv's due to not having one.

So guys, I know that, for example, if she had access to BBC i player, it would add a dimension to her days.

Where do we stärt?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Most Smart TV's are loaded with apps, one of them is usually BBC iplayer. Send her out to................ no you do it, it'll be quicker, buy an Ethernet cable of suitable length, bung it in the router and then the TV and then all you need to do is find the button on the remote that brings up the apps.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Most Smart TV's are loaded with apps, one of them is usually BBC iplayer. Send her out to................ no you do it, it'll be quicker, buy an Ethernet cable of suitable length, bung it in the router and then the TV and then all you need to do is find the button on the remote that brings up the apps.

Thanks, I know that bit, however, as she has an old router etc, are there ones now specific to TV?

I know I sound lke BG, but I just want to do my best for her.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks, I know that bit, however, as she has an old router etc, are there ones now specific to TV?

I know I sound lke BG, but I just want to do my best for her.

To be honest you could go with anyone.

With the setup she has, unless I'm missing anything, she should have iPlayer already accessible. You just need to connect the TV to the wireless network (and even a 6 year old router should be wireless) and then locate the app on the TV.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Get a hmdi cable plug it into back of tv and connect to now tv box,plug now tv box into 3 pin wall socket for power and use wifi by provider.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
If the smart tv does not have built in wifi and requires a dongle then an alternative is to buy a cheap wifi extender and use the ethernet port on that to connect directly to the tv.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'd go with ethernet rather than wireless for everything if possible. As the telly and router are fixed in place it makes sense to do it.
So...
Has the router got a spare ethernet port and is it near enough to tv to make a cable possible ? If not can you move the router ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1) Any 6 year old internet deal is bound to be beatable now. Get her looking at Uswitch for the best current deals. There's a good chance she's paying way over the odds if she hasn't secured a new deal in 6 years.

2) If the smart tv has built in wifi then BBC iplayer will be simple to access through the remote control.

3) If no built in wifi, use an ethernet cable if the tv and router are in the same room.

4) If tv and router are in different rooms, get a set of home plugs to extend internet connection into the room with the tv in. Perfectly adequate cheap option here : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technomate...qid=1483876914&sr=8-5&keywords=wifi+homeplugs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here