Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CH. Is he good enough for the PL?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Seen quite a few posts on various threads suggesting that PL pundits consider CH as a good championship manager but can't cut it in the PL.

IMHO, CH has been fantastic for us and he has shaped a team for the future. We have heard a few times on NSC and on other forums about how BHA have not got the best players but have got THE BEST TEAM, which is what has separated us from the rest and is key to any clubs success, (take a look at 'our friends up the road'). I don't think CH had the chance to shape a team like he has with us in the PL and I feel that IF we go up and he stays with us, he will prove them wrong. This is my belief, #KeepTheFaith.

Thoughts?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Seen quite a few posts on various threads suggesting that PL pundits consider CH as a good championship manager but can't cut it in the PL.

IMHO, CH has been fantastic for us and he has shaped a team for the future. We have heard a few times on NSC and on other forums about how BHA have not got the best players but have got THE BEST TEAM, which is what has separated us from the rest and is key to any clubs success, (take a look at 'our friends up the road'). I don't think CH had the chance to shape a team like he has with us in the PL and I feel that IF we go up and he stays with us, he will prove them wrong. This is my belief, #KeepTheFaith.

Thoughts?

Most PL pundits generally like to think they know what they're talking about, it's just their opinions.
The Championship is totally different to the PL in many ways.
As in all jobs you get promotion on your individual talents.
Albion, hopefully will be promoted with their individual talents that come together, as a team working in unison.
Along with this, Chris Hughton also gets a promotion, where he'll start a new job with the Albion, getting us to play the Football that will keep us in PL for a long time to come.
Yes CH is and will be good enough :albion2:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Amazed such a question even needs to be asked.

Fair point. Happy for mods to delete the thread on a "no-brainer stating the obvious" remit. I'm just disgusted at how he was treated in the PL and would love for him to prove himself in the top flight with Albion.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Depends on the strength of the team if we went up. I presume we would have to strengthen in some areas (Bruno can't go on for ever). Winning the Championship is no guide to being able to survive in the Premier league.

If we did ever go up, how long before the first "Hughton Out" thread appears, regardless of his previous record? Football isn't a forgiving game.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Depends on the strength of the team if we went up. I presume we would have to strengthen in some areas (Bruno can't go on for ever). Winning the Championship is no guide to being able to survive in the Premier league.

If we did ever go up, how long before the first "Hughton Out" thread appears, regardless of his previous record? Football isn't a forgiving game.

True. I would hate to see things for wrong for us and for CH to be in the firing line. I really feel as though he has got it right though. His approach is good but his ethics and focus on 'the team' is a rare thing that could be the X factor in us doing better than the other 'also rans' that live in the mid/lower end of the PL season in, season out.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's a funny one isn't it.

First, he is not a good Championship manager, he is a GREAT Championship manager, maybe the best there is, which is pretty good going for what is such a difficult league.

I look at the PL now and it amazes me how things have changed over the years. There are teams in the Prem we used to play in L1, there are teams in the Championship who I recall as contenders for top spot in the PL. So who knows what will / can happen.

Sometimes a player can struggle in a league one year and tear it apart in following years, managers learn, develop and adapt much like players do.

Nothing about the future can be garaunteed because of the past, I'm not interested in CH PL record in years gone by, is he good enough for the PL? We are about to find out! (hopefully!)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Personally, I think he is but, if we didn't go up, could you really see a PL team trying to poach him? And, if so, which one?

I just can't see it myself

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think it's a fair question, as he has had mixed experience in the PL.

I've had this discussion at work with West Ham and Palace supporters.
The consensus is that this is his last chance to prove himself as a Premier League manager.

My view is that he has built a squad here that can get promoted, with at least 7 first teamers capable of holding their own in the top flight.

If anyone can take us up and keep us there, it's CH... with Tony's back up.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Personally, I think he is but, if we didn't go up, could you really see a PL team trying to poach him? And, if so, which one?

That is a good point. I feel that after the way he was treated like shit in the PL, that the respect, loyalty and love that the BHA family has for him would make him think twice about being put through the mincer with one of the big outfits. Money may play a part, but I can't see any of the big lot go for him, and as for rest, not sure he would want to go anywhere else than where he is now.
At 58 he must, and I think does, view BHA as his best chance to show what a football manager/team/club should be about. TB and CH seem to be a match made in footie heaven. #KeepTheFaith.
:albion2:

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
The first aim for Bloom is to make money to support the club, money is in the premier league, so getting up and staying in the premier league will be the agenda. His investment has made Brighton one of the best equipped sides in the country in terms of facilities staffing and community. And Leicester and Bournemouth are excellent examples of sides that have proven that Championship clubs can produce success in the top flight. We are capable of doing the same and I think Hughton is more than capable of being the right man for the job.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
It's a very fair question because Norwich fans will tell you he was out of his depth in the season they got relegated.

In their view he was far too negative with his tactics and didn't have tactical alternatives. Plus he spent a lot of money on a striker (Van Wolfswinkel) who was hopeless. On the other hand, he did fine with Newcastle in the PL so it's not simple.

For me the key question would be has he learned enough from his previous experiences to know best how to set up a team which would, inevitably. lose a lot of games during a PL season. For instance, would he be more adventurous, would he be more tactically adaptable next time.

But I think he'd be fine. He's intelligent, calm, thoughtful and experienced and I think he'd use all of those to good effect. Plus he keeps the team's spirit and mentality together at all times which would be crucial when we did hit those bad spells.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think more to the point is whether the team/squad will be good enough if we get there.

Of course he is good enough. How many Premier League Managers would you swop him for ?

I can see a bit of merit in not overspending in the first year and taking relegation if it comes, with the parachute payments. We then go up stronger the following season. Yes rather 'doing a Burnley'.

I am sure there is a TB and PB plan locked away in a safe somewhere.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Sorry, mis-read your question. If we DIDN"T go up is a very different question. Depends on a lot of things. I can't see him losing his way with us after so long, so I don't think it would be a manager related issue if we didn't go up, he's just so focused. If we miss promotion ( we would need to seriously stuff it up not to get it) I really think BHA would want to stick with him. If he were to go, it would be his decision I think, and it could be any PL club as far as I am concerned. It's where he wants to be. :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here