Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Estimate for 2 tier house extension - not imminent work on offer

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I am hoping NSC can provide a few guesses for a proposed extension we would like done on the side of our house.

We are currently saving for this but want an idea of the final goal we will need to save to.

The space is 3m x 8m and would be 2 tiers. A bedroom and utility room downstairs with a bedroom and en suite upstairs. Obviously a pitched roof above match existing design.

Am I looking at £20k, £30k, £50k...

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
I am hoping NSC can provide a few guesses for a proposed extension we would like done on the side of our house.

We are currently saving for this but want an idea of the final goal we will need to save to.

The space is 3m x 8m and would be 2 tiers. A bedroom and utility room downstairs with a bedroom and en suite upstairs. Obviously a pitched roof above match existing design.

Fully finished? Keep going.....

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

The building work alone for our single story extension with a part pitched part flat roof was £60k. Now, this was a bit complex and we didn't want to have any supporting steels or beams showing so that bumped up the cost but still I think you're being a little optimistic. If we'd have had a cheaper kitchen and not bifold doors I don't think we'd have seen much change change from £80k and this was 5 years ago.

johnjim

Sep 2, 2008
bexhill
I had this type of job done two years ago, so my info may not be quite current and Brighton may be more expensive.
Then an extension was aprox. £ 1,400 per meter, of total floor space as a ball park figure, very high spec would be more.
In your case it would be 3 x 8 x 2 = 48.
48 x £ 1,400 = £ 67,2000. Plus vat
Decoration in and out would be extra, but this should include electrics and plumbing.
Plan and tell builder exactly what you want, we still wish we had done a few things differently but overall were happy with how it turned out. Best of luck.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
The building game does seem to be a bit of a rip off for what is actually being done in most cases.

I think it has benefited from the UK's obsession with the property market.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Don't base your thoughts and plans around the numbers we throw at it, because we simply do not know enough about the spec, and finishes you are after. get a couple of builders round to quote for an all-in price, and take it from there.

I think you'll find the route to paying for it is from your mortgage company and not your savings, as I doubt they'd be much change out of £100k once you done the internal fit-out, fixings, decorated and furnished.

LVGull

May 13, 2016

Work on about £130 per m2 for a average finish. This does not include doormer windows or any other details. Basically just a pitched roof. Excludes all external works e.g. Landscaping.

You will have to pay on top professional fees and council fees.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'll do it for ten grand (cash of course). Can probably get you on telly for that too (watchdog, rogue builders etc)

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Don't base your thoughts and plans around the numbers we throw at it, because we simply do not know enough about the spec, and finishes you are after. get a couple of builders round to quote for an all-in price, and take it from there.

I think you'll find the route to paying for it is from your mortgage company and not your savings, as I doubt they'd be much change out of £100k once you done the internal fit-out, fixings, decorated and furnished.

Agree with all that, but on the builders, try to get local recommendations from others. Could save you a lot of grief/money. Would get at least 3 quotes.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Agree with all that, but on the builders, try to get local recommendations from others. Could save you a lot of grief/money. Would get at least 3 quotes.

Definitely get 3 when you come to actually making a decision on who to go forward with, but at this stage I think it's just a case of talking it through with someone and getting a feel for what the ballpark cost will be.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Its the plus VAT thats the killer. So thats £80K plus decs!!

When we did ours, I managed to find an old boy who was winding down, just doing one big job a year, working 6 months, then taking the winters off. As a result, he had de-registered for VAT!! Bingo, saved 20% right there!

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
When we did ours, I managed to find an old boy who was winding down, just doing one big job a year, working 6 months, then taking the winters off. As a result, he had de-registered for VAT!! Bingo, saved 20% right there!

you will have only saved on his labour ...all materials would have VAT on when he bought them .

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Done this a few times now and made a few (big) mistakes. I would recommenmd writing a spec of exactly what you want room by room. Make it detailed using your own language. Give the spec to the builder with the plans. If you're having bifolds/skylights/underfloor heating make sure you get the people who supplied them to install them. It will be more expensive but you'll have some comeback if things go wrong. Get three quotes. Ask for references. Speak to the referees or better still go and see the builder's work. Got to be £80-£100k job (inc.Vat). More if you're going high end on tiles and fittings.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here