Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion main headline on Guardian homepage

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Correct link: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/06/firms-fined-minimum-wage-football-clubs-restaurants

Barber has already addressed this.

The clubs statement:
FOOTBALL CLUB DISAPPOINTED AT HMRC NAMING

Brighton & Hove Albion are very disappointed, that despite representations to the Minister for Business Innovation and Skills, they have been "named" as a business adjudged by the HMRC as having failed to pay the national minimum wage.

The case resulted from the club being over generous in paying the expenses of an individual on a work experience placement at the club two years ago. The minor administrative error was corrected by the club as soon as it was established the payments had been made in error.

The club had acted in good faith, having taken external legal advice, and in the belief that it did not breach employment regulations.

The club is responsible employer who values its staff, pays all staff over and above the National Living Wage, provides additional benefits to all full-time staff, including free meals, twice a day, a bonus scheme and other benefits.

As a result of the HMRC's decision (to which there is no right of appeal) the club has suspended its work experience programme, and has since been forced to close the door to many graduates seeking such opportunities.

A spokesperson for Brighton & Hove Albion said, "As a business we feel our reputation as a responsible employer has been very unfairly tarnished. We are one of the few clubs who pays its staff the over and above the national living wage.

"Unfortunately, in light of this, we are now more risk averse in terms of offering work experience opportunities. This means we are unable to give as many valuable on-the-job work experience opportunities to those looking to further their career or break into this highly competitive industry.”

"It is a shame because a number of people who've spent time with us, on work experience placements, have gone on to win successful job roles across the football and sports industry, at the highest level - here in the Premier League and EFL and others abroad."

Last year Brighton & Hove Albion were voted by its own staff as the Best Football Club to Work For at the Football Business Awards; while the club also expanded its employee benefits to include a hot breakfast and lunch for every member of full-time staff, and added every single member of staff - including all matchday and casual staff - to a promotion bonus scheme alongside its players and coaching staff.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
On the plus side the photo used is a front on shot so the kit looks pretty good(apart from the iron on patch, obviously). And we're scoring in the photo. And I was at that game. Lots of positives really.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Grauniad retreads old news, by a freelancer writing about minimum wage. delicious irony sandwich.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
This has already been explained and is old news.

Nothing to see really.

Old news although Albion won't be thanking the Grauniad!

Old news, Guardian using the club to sell papers...

Older story than in fish n chip papers

Grauniad retreads old news, by a freelancer writing about minimum wage. delicious irony sandwich.

It would be really helpful if a few more posters could point out this was old news, thanks. :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The irony is, of course, that the Guardian itself is known for its own parsimony when it comes to not paying journalists

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That article is a bit of a disgrace really, with us highlighted like that.

Yes, it's pretty unworthy of the Grauniad to pick out two of the 700 firms to mention. Presumably the author of that article has some private beef. Poor journalism.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, it's pretty unworthy of the Grauniad to pick out two of the 700 firms to mention. Presumably the author of that article has some private beef. Poor journalism.

Bollocks. The Albion is by far the most well-known of the companies mentioned and will certainly be the only one with photos on file. Any journalist writing the story would lead with the best known company, it would be poor journalism not to.

1066gull

I am not surprised. As somebody who the club interviewed back in 2013, they didn't employ me in house but I still ended up working for the club for six months through an agency.

Which costs the club more in agency fees but gives me less working rights. Crucially, I was paid under the minimum wage at the time of just 6.31 an hour. Often shifts never lasted more than 4 hours and the work barely covered the cost of commuting.

To think they would have saved money employing me in house and give me the national minimum wage is a joke.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bollocks. The Albion is by far the most well-known of the companies mentioned and will certainly be the only one with photos on file. Any journalist writing the story would lead with the best known company, it would be poor journalism not to.
Then that's two different opinions on the topic.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
They say we underpaid due to an error in the article but use us as the main picture? Really?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here