Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last 3 fixtures, are we blessed?

at15155

Jan 5, 2017
I think we are! Our last 3 fixtures are: Norwich (A), Bristol (H) and Villa (A). Seeing as we are currently 8 points clear of 3rd do you think that the aim would be to get the job done before these 9 points go up for grabs? Arguably two of the toughest away fixtures fall into that period especially given that they'll probably be desperate for wins at that stage of the season. How much of an influence do you think this will have on our promotion campaign and potentially how vital could it be?

theroyal

May 11, 2014
I expect you'll be fine by then.

By contrast our run-in is Rotherham (H), Forest (A), Wigan (H) and Burton (A) :eek:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

By contrast our run-in is Rotherham (H), Forest (A), Wigan (H) and Burton (A) :eek:

I see what you are saying, those teams are likely to still have a lot to play for by then. Who knows, there's a long way to go.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Either way, can't see those game being as big as the game against Boro was last season... just keep doing what we've been doing and we'll be fine!

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
It's either going to be a blessing, or we'll actually need those 9 points and it'll all go tits up... who knows.. ONE GAME AT A TIME...

This. We have 19 games to play before then and a lot can happen.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe Villa will be resting players for the playoffs ? ???

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
With the 18th best attack and the 21st best defence in the division, I expect Reading will need plenty of points from those fixtures to get into the play offs.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Even if they do have something to play for, they are all still crap by Championship standards. If Reading are within 3 points of Newcastle or Albion :ohmy: (as you would be now if you won your game in hand) with just those 4 still to play I should imagine Reading would be the value bet for automatic promotion.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I reckon we will have the job done the game before these come up (Home to Wigan). Would be great to have 2 celebratory away trips to sides that probably expected an immediate return, plus a ceremonial home game.

The script couldn't have been written better ... it's in the stars!!

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Even if they do have something to play for, they are all still crap by Championship standards. If Reading are within 3 points of Newcastle or Albion :ohmy: (as you would be now if you won your game in hand) with just those 4 still to play I should imagine Reading would be the value bet for automatic promotion.

Rotherham and maybe Wigan may be gone by then. But Forest and Burton will be tough games.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Way too early to look at the last 3 fixtures other than Sky will want to screen them if points are required by either team.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
As so often, "If" is the biggest word in that assertion about Reading's chances of automatic promotion...

They are 16/1 currently. Anyone who disagrees with all the available statistics and industry experts should be getting on Reading at that price.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Which if there is anything riding on them, you would expect to win. That's why you're 3rd and they're both shite.

Yes, but you haven't been supporting Reading for 25 years like I have.

Games like that are Forest and Wigan certainties. :lolol:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
?

Reading are 7th for goals scored and 13th for goals conceded.
Goals scored and conceded in half a season are quite crude and insensitive measures of quality of attack and defence. Is Reading's defence "better" than Burton Albion's based on Reading conceding 32 in 24 compared to Burton Albion's 34 in 25...? Over a whole season the scored and conceded stats obviously become more accurate measures. At the halfway stage it is statistically almost certain that one or two teams out of the 24 will have been relatively "lucky" when it comes to how many they have scored and conceded, and how many points they have earned, based on the quality of chances created and allowed.

Reading are currently the "luckiest" team in the Championship. They will need to continue to be unusually lucky if they are to stay in a play off position let alone threaten the top 2.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Reading are currently the "luckiest" team in the Championship. They will need to continue to be unusually lucky if they are to stay in a play off position let alone threaten the top 2.

Pouring over "expected goals" statistics is a waste of time and an over-complication. Only one stat matters and that's the points tally.

Having seen the team regularly this season and actually watched the football, we have not been "lucky" any more than any other team, we are a good side who know how to get our noses in front in a match and stay there. Our downfall is when we fall behind, we often lose (save for the Bristol City match).

If we remain in the play-off places at the end of the season, we deserve to be there. And if we're not, then on balance we don't. It doesn't mean we've been lucky up until now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here