Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bred kids do not make a team

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
According to this: http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2471&teamTabs=transfers in 2014 Southampton raked in £68 million for the sale of Lallana, Chambers and Shaw, three players who had been trainees. They had to share some of the Lallana fee with Bournemouth as they had taken him from them at youth level, but, even disregarding the £12 million they got for Oxlade-Chamberlain the year we won League One, this kind of one off bonanza would explain the attraction of the business model.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Southampton are not actually living up to their reputation for producing their own players at the moment. The rather leaden James Ward-Prowse and Matt Targett apart, most of their current team have been bought in, probably to be sold on at a profit, as Mane, Pelle, Clyne and Lovren were. Forster, Soares, Van Dijk, Fonte, Yoshida, Bertrand, Romeu, Clasie, Tadic, Austin, Rodriguez, Long, Davis, Redmond, Boufal - not many from Hampshire there.

You could argue that you get a quicker and more certain profit from buying cheap and selling high than from spending years developing players through an academy with all its related costs and uncertainties. Saints exploit the inefficiencies in recruitment and scouting of clubs such as Liverpool and benefit accordingly.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
According to this: http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2471&teamTabs=transfers in 2014 Southampton raked in £68 million for the sale of Lallana, Chambers and Shaw, three players who had been trainees. They had to share some of the Lallana fee with Bournemouth as they had taken him from them at youth level, but, even disregarding the £12 million they got for Oxlade-Chamberlain the year we won League One, this kind of one off bonanza would explain the attraction of the business model.

Add in Theo Walcott

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The youth system at Crewe kept them solvent and competing in the Championship for years

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I assume you are talking JFC here? At 15 he had a load of clubs in for him and he chose to stay at Brighton.

Well even for JFC there is a side story, he undoubtedly was a talent (as were many others) yet he was a bit tubby and perhaps might have been overlooked in other circumstances, however I think it was Steve Brown (a firm friend of Forster) who was keen to bring him in (was he 12-14), nothing to lose and no costs and he progressed from there.

His step dad would of hawked him round, nothing wrong with that and Steve Brown ensured he played regularly no matter and his reputation grew, I think you might find others of the same age group might point at a few incidents that they thought he was unreasonably favoured, but then all parents I guess have a story to tell.

So a talent yes, exceptional probably not, but support and opportunity meant he did go on to become and remain a better player than most that were with him during his development at our old CoE.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Well even for JFC there is a side story, he undoubtedly was a talent (as were many others) yet he was a bit tubby and perhaps might have been overlooked in other circumstances, however I think it was Steve Brown (a firm friend of Forster) who was keen to bring him in (was he 12-14), nothing to lose and no costs and he progressed from there.

His step dad would of hawked him round, nothing wrong with that and Steve Brown ensured he played regularly no matter and his reputation grew, I think you might find others of the same age group might point at a few incidents that they thought he was unreasonably favoured, but then all parents I guess have a story to tell.

So a talent yes, exceptional probably not, but support and opportunity meant he did go on to become and remain a better player than most that were with him during his development at our old CoE.

My Brother was the same age group. However he was a very good player.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My Brother was the same age group. However he was a very good player.

Yep I agree he was a very good player, I thought the stand out player for our youth team against Villa at the Amex in the FA Youth cup and one of his greatest strengths was perhaps his mentality, but he was offered a secure environment in which to develop in his younger years through his association with Steve Brown and the influence from Forster, that in itself isnt wrong just different to what perhaps was afforded your brother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here