Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Now seems a good time to discuss this without coming across as crassly insensitive.

It's about time we stopped with this mawkish response every time somebody passes away isn't it? It's just a totally devalued sentiment. Obviously I think the Shoreham air crash was an example where it was the right thing to do, as that was a local tragedy that impacted lots of people and affected a lot of people around the club. I think it was even extreme when applied to that Brazilian tragedy. Awful though that was, terrible accidents happen all the time and I just don't see that it was appropriate. Leave the public shows of respect for that to Brazilian clubs, or South American clubs at a push.

I just read on Owlstalk that their club is now doing a minute's applause on the last game of the calendar year to respect all fans who have passed away. I think that's an excellent alternative.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just read on Owlstalk that their club is now doing a minute's applause on the last game of the calendar year to respect all fans who have passed away. I think that's an excellent alternative.

Even better idea would be to hold it at a time of year when most folks aren't wearing gloves. Else it just seems like a minute's muffled thud.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Now seems a good time to discuss this without coming across as crassly insensitive.

It's about time we stopped with this mawkish response every time somebody passes away isn't it? It's just a totally devalued sentiment. Obviously I think the Shoreham air crash was an example where it was the right thing to do, as that was a local tragedy that impacted lots of people and affected a lot of people around the club. I think it was even extreme when applied to that Brazilian tragedy. Awful though that was, terrible accidents happen all the time and I just don't see that it was appropriate. Leave the public shows of respect for that to Brazilian clubs, or South American clubs at a push.

I remember seeing a game (championship?) recently where they did exactly the same thing ..showing photos of all the fans that had died during 2016..seemed an appropriate way of doing it

Last edited:

fisons

Feb 21, 2005

A good post only undermined by your own use of the mawkish, American phrase "passed away" when you mean died.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Agree entirely with this approach.

However, another club did this recently (so their chosen game was mid-season - possibly the closest to Christmas) and at least one person on here had a go at it. This possibly only highlights that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree entirely with this approach.

However, another club did this recently (so their chosen game was mid-season - possibly the closest to Christmas) and at least one person on here had a go at it. This possibly only highlights that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

That was probably me. I'm all clapped out.

Why this constant need to openly commemorate, remember, applaud ? I suppose a minutes catch-all applause once a year would be preferable to the NUMEROUS ones we seem to be getting every other week when someone dies. And don't even get me started on poppys / remembrance.

We never used to festoon so many fixtures with commemorations to this, that and the other. Can't we just crack on with the football ? That's what we're THERE for.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Loosly linked but what IRKS me more is when people pick a specific minute to do a protest but the reasoning for the minute is BEYOND tedious

" the fans walked out on the 32nd minute as 32p is the price increase on average on every food item, except cottage pie, since the chairman took over"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We never used to festoon so many fixtures with commemorations to this, that and the other. Can't we just crack on with the football ?

No we didn't, but it's just symptomatic of technology and information virility isn't it?

In the good old days we'd very likely not know of a tragic death, or similar, affecting one of our number. We also didn't have a massive digital clock to tell us exactly when to do our thing nor an even bigger screen to show us a picture of the poor soul.

Today there will be posts all across social media and on forums such as this. If that all passes you by, you'll be told by near neighbours in the ground as they start clapping at the pre-determined time. The club may get involved and pop an image up on the screen in case you were in any doubt.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No we didn't, but it's just symptomatic of technology and information virility isn't it?

In the good old days we'd very likely not know of a tragic death, or similar, affecting one of our number. We also didn't have a massive digital clock to tell us exactly when to do our thing nor an even bigger screen to show us a picture of the poor soul.

Today there will be posts all across social media and on forums such as this. If that all passes you by, you'll be told by near neighbours in the ground as they start clapping at the pre-determined time. The club may get involved and pop an image up on the screen in case you were in any doubt.

I think the minute's applause/silence is generally a good thing in principle. But the club's on a hiding to nothing. The first time they kick back on any request then they're immediately unfairly cast in the role of heartless swine. Which makes me think on an official level it's probably best confined to the matchday programme, unless compelling circumstances e.g. the Shoreham Air Disaster dictate otherwise. Still leaves the way clear for supporters to informally organise whatever they please, either before, during or after the game.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Agree with that. It has already reached the frankly ludicrous situation where two separate minutes are dedicated at some matches to applauding people who have touched few peoples' lives beyond their own circle of family and friends.
It has little genuine meaning and needs to stop. There are exceptions of course but they need to be limited. An annual remembrance is much more meaningful.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
....but, when we all clapped on the 65th minute to remember Tony ( woodingdean seagull) who was the REMF chair and all round great supporter and genuinely fantastic guy, the gods looked down on us and we scored exactly as his face appeared on the main screens!

Extremely poignant moment to those of us who loved him dearly!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

:clap::clap::clap:

Entirely with you on this. Might even go as far as to say perhaps we could all mentally remember those that have been lost, personal or not, over the last 12 months when there is a minutes silence for Armistice Day/Remberence Sunday, military people or not.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

But just because we can, it doesn't necessarily mean that we should.

I honestly don't feel the need to know about the death of someone I'd never heard of, or never knew. Sure I'll join in with the applause, but for me its just a trite empty gesture. I'm either watching the game, or waiting for the game to start. As [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] said, save it for the programme. Close family and friends can keep it as a memento - that would mean far more than a stadium full of strangers standing there clapping like seals because they feel obliged to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here