Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh dear Argus........

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
More quality journalism...

Pearce joined the Argust in 2012 as assistant news editor before becoming news editor and then head of content.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I know people don't like The Argus, but there'd surely be very little coverage of the Albion without it. I know their coverage isn't world beating in terms of quality, but it's better than nothing surely?

I do note that while their print is down, their website traffic is up. In fact their web traffic has increased by more than their print has decreased.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I believe sales of local papers are plummeting everywhere - it's not just an Argus thing. I think many will go to the wall in the next few years.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I reckon it will cease to produce a printed paper within the next 2 years and become an online only 'news' outlet. Papers are obsolete with the advent of the internet and smartphones/tablets, I don't know anyone other than my Dad's generation (79yrs old) who buys a paper any more.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I know people don't like The Argus, but there'd surely be very little coverage of the Albion without it. I know their coverage isn't world beating in terms of quality, but it's better than nothing surely?

I do note that while their print is down, their website traffic is up. In fact their web traffic has increased by more than their print has decreased.

Absolutely. As you quite rightly point out, without the good old Argus, what would we turn to in terms of printed news on the Albion?

Yes their number print wise is down, but isn't that the case with so many newspapers nowadays?, certainly local ones.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I reckon it will cease to produce a printed paper within the next 2 years and become an online only 'news' outlet. Papers are obsolete with the advent of the internet and smartphones/tablets, I don't know anyone other than my Dad's generation (79yrs old) who buys a paper any more.

On nonsense, plenty of the younger generations do, just not in the same numbers. The Argus will be around for a good number of years yet.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
No suprise, print is dead. Everyone goes to the internet now adays, as by the time you pick up a paper the news is already out of date.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
On nonsense, plenty of the younger generations do, just not in the same numbers. The Argus will be around for a good number of years yet.

Not on circulation figures of 11000 and falling it won't be. Once it dips below 10,000 which is reasonable to expect given its regular decline every year then it will soon become uneconomical to print, that will be its final death knell and I stand by my prediction.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Years ago very good paper with 90% Brighton Hove news and events. Now tries to be national paper covering all of Sussex. Should concentrate on Brighton Hove. Eastbourne,Mid Sussex, Hastings and Worthing all have papers concentrating on there areas.

Yep - they will just pare staffing numbers as circulation goes down, will linger on particularly as online paywal not an option. It costs a third of a cup of coffee so why wouldn't you buy it if you were interested in the community

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here