Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing

Would you like to see safe standing at the Amex?

• No thanks

Votes: 40 23.5%
  • Yes, but only in a small section

Votes: 42 24.7%
  • Let's go for it and convert the entire North Stand

Votes: 88 51.8%

• Total voters

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
In light of Paul Barber's comments that the fans response to Safe Standing was luke warm at best, what is the general view of NSC users?

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Try it... SW section of ground.... maybe 2000 starting point.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
If people want it that's fine doesn't bother me, but to be honest safe standing seems pointless to me. Unless it's a return to a proper terrace I don't really see the point personally.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The poll is asking the wrong question. It is not about the introduction of safe standing but whether you would use safe standing, which I believe was behind the comments from the clubm in that while people may be happy foe safe standing to be introduced, they would not give up theor seats to use it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The online questionnaire is was slightly unfair, not everyone was aware of it, a fairer way and more accurate way would be ask people at the turnstiles approx 500 in each stand would get a better reflection and a guide (if one is needed) as to which areas of the ground would be more welcoming to the idea.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
It will happen slowly at BHA and other clubs, just a case of when and where IMHO. At the moment there are sections of the NS that are allowed to stand, and at away games (including ours, and Fulham was a classic!), a lot of away fans stand anyway. This is a nonsense as standing is far more dangerous in normal seats than SS or rail seating systems. Also very annoying for home fans who are told to sit when the away fans stand, creating a better noise/atmosphere.
The only concern as far as I understand it, is blocking the view of those who are seated. In the NS for instance you could have a curved D shaped section along the front rows/up the middle for normal seats with both the left, right and middle/back for SS. Everyone is happy. At the moment, allowing fans to stand (or rather, tolerating it as you can't stop 1000's of people from doing it in away sections) is probably in complete breach of a clubs H&S policy - which is probably also an insurance issue for the club, a real mine field. SS is a no brainer.
As the legislation changes we will see more clubs introduce the SS system, as Celtic has done, most successfully. You can't have clubs moaning about creating an atmosphere, handing out 'clappers' etc as a substitute for the real thing, especially when all the away fans are standing.
Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
to be honest safe standing seems pointless to me. Unless it's a return to a proper terrace I don't really see the point personally.
So why do fans stand when at away games? Our fans basically use away grounds like a safe standing place, they stand, and they make noise.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
So why do fans stand when at away games? Our fans basically use away grounds like a safe standing place, they stand, and they make noise.

This exactly. :thumbsup:
It is happening at most away games, for most clubs, which is unsafe and in breach of H&S/Insurance policies because it is UNSAFE to do so, but it goes on in every ground. That is why European and Scottish clubs use SS.

In fact, I would go as far to say that standing in normal seats is more dangerous than terracing. At Fulham people were all over the place when we scored.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
In principle I've always been in favour, but at the Amex it would depend how they implement it.

There seems to be quite a good status quo in the North Stand at the moment where everyone knows the further back in the stand you go the more likely it is that you'll stand up. Since hebbard left and common sense stewarding was introduced there hasn't been the weekly battles about standing, so part of me thinks what's the point?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Don't think the Poll really covers my feelings, I don't want it at all, but, understand others might and wouldn't object to that so long as it doesn't impact on my view or the price I pay.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Also the Poll is not great. The choices are either, No, Small section or All of NS, which is not a great choice. Most of the NS with a section for those who need/want to sit, would be my choice so I have not voted.

If people want it that's fine doesn't bother me, but to be honest safe standing seems pointless to me. Unless it's a return to a proper terrace I don't really see the point personally.

This is it, ship has sailed, what made standing fun was the UNSAFE element, packed in, standing where you like, jumping about etc. Standing in a little allocated area in front of a flip up seat is no different to what most of the North do at the moment

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we already have safe standing if only the legislation allowed, we can simply stand in front of our allocated seat. i dont understand why the approach isnt to allow a change to the law so that areas can be designated "standing" seats, so that those that wish to stand through the match are permitted to do so and surrounded by like minded people. making a fuss over a specific area without seats seems to be making the matter unnecessarily complicated. (unless i've missed something, quite likly)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here