Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tokyo advice please.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The wife has found some cheap flights to Tokyo for us and our daughter that look good value during the May school break. My concern is that we would fly out on a Saturday and return the following Sunday which is a 15 hour flight time with one change there and back not including to and from the airports etc... Is this too short a time to visit would you think, any advise about in and around Tokyo would be greatly appreciated especially for seven year olds although not Disney land...

I want to go to Japan, but worried this is too short a trip, and I hate big crowds hustle bustle like NYC :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The wife has found some cheap flights to Tokyo for us and our daughter that look good value during the May school break. My concern is that we would fly out on a Saturday and return the following Sunday which is a 15 hour flight time with one change there and back not including to and from the airports etc... Is this too short a time to visit would you think, any advise about in and around Tokyo would be greatly appreciated especially for seven year olds although not Disney land...

I want to go to Japan, but worried this is too short a trip, and I hate big crowds hustle bustle like NYC :thumbsup:

You should definitely go, it's a fantastic place to visit. It's a busy city but it's nowhere near in your face as NYC is. Public transport is really efficient and straight forward to use and there are plenty of excellent places to eat. It's a definite experience. I had less than a week there too and it whetted my appetite to see more, I'm hoping to get back one day

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Only been there once, but if you don't like the hustle and bustle of NYC you may not like parts of Tokyo - worse if anything. Long way to go for a week too, especially with an extended flight time (with a change), and expensive. Sorry, sounding a bit negative but I wouldn't do a trip like that with a 7 year old. It's an incredible place though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I've been twice, once for a week and the second time was a bit longer. It's a truly fantastic city and a veritable experience. Whilst I hear [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] my gut feeling is if such an opportunity arises take it. The better to regret the things you have done cliche comes to mind. You might struggle to occupy your daughter on the plane but she'll be mesmerised by the sights, sounds and smells when she's out there.

It's a very busy city but in a weirdly calm and serene way; not like NYC at all.

My advise is do it!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Psychobilly freakout; said:

:clap:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unless your 7-y-o is dramatically different to my 6-y-o, I'd not be doing such a trip for just a week. Your daughter will take most of that week to properly get into the timezone, meaning broken nights for all of you which isn't the best preparation for long days on your feet exploring.

When you return to the UK, you'll have the a similar problem getting back into school time routine.

Contrary to what [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] says above, we don't find entertaining our son on long-haul flights at all - that's the easy bit!

I'd not hesitate on the trip if you were childless as us bigger people generally deal with the timezone shift somewhat better!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Lived there for 7 months. Firstly accommodation is expensive in the centre of Tokyo and it's over an hour from Narita. So add that to your travel time. I found it hard to sleep even without jet lag. Try and get destination addresses written in Japanese characters on cards if using cabs - they don't speak English.

Food is amazing. Get up early and do Tsukuji fish market. Japanese beer and whiskey is also amazing but try some cold (ginjo or dai ginjo) sake and shochu.

Crowds can be mad. Shibuya at rush would not be for you.

If you're after real Japanese culture take a bullet train to Kyoto and spend a night there. I can hook you up with a brilliant walking tour. Just pm me.

It would be an experience for a 7yo but you'll have to forego some of the other pleasures like drinking with salary men in Roppongi till 5am. She'll get tired & possibly won't appreciate much of it at the time.

Pm for anything else. Also reckon [MENTION=286]Garry Nelson's Left Foot[/MENTION] and [MENTION=97]Toronto Seagull[/MENTION] should sort you out some info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Unless your 7-y-o is dramatically different to my 6-y-o, I'd not be doing such a trip for just a week. Your daughter will take most of that week to properly get into the timezone, meaning broken nights for all of you which isn't the best preparation for long days on your feet exploring.

When you return to the UK, you'll have the a similar problem getting back into school time routine.

Contrary to what [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] says above, we don't find entertaining our son on long-haul flights at all - that's the easy bit!

I'd not hesitate on the trip if you were childless as us bigger people generally deal with the timezone shift somewhat better!

Yeah. I hadn't clocked the 7-y-o part, I agree with Bozza, that would be problematic.

I really don't hold with the idea that Tokyo is more hectic than NYC though - there are lots of people but it's a lot calmer. You don't get people shouting at you if you take longer than a nano-second in ordering your lunch in a long queue for a start

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't normally struggle with jet lag too much but Jet lag going east is always worse I find. Been to Hong Kong and took a good 4 nights to get acclimatised and that was after flying First. I'd probably consider a week as long as you appreciate the time difference and think you can work round it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Alternatively dump your daughter at the grand parents and take me instead. I'll need entertaining and constant attention on the flight but I do know some fun places once we've landed.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Which airline are you considering? While your decision shouldn't be primarily/solely based on the carrier, as a) it's a long flight, b) you're travelling with a child and c) you're not spending too long in Tokyo before having to make the return journey, I'd probably try to fly with someone who's got a decent reputation.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Depends how quickly you can adjust to the time change, you might find the first two days you are like a zombie, or you might adjust quickly. I totally get what [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says. I would find that length of flight & what is essentially an adult sightseeing trip too much for my 8&9 year olds. It's not the flight that's the problem, it's that kids sleep is different to adults and they don't have pills or booze to help the time change. I took my eldest to LA for a week 2 years ago. The first 3 nights were her just being sleepless and the day times were a mix of short naps and tears. I think for a trip like that, a week is fine for adults but kids need longer.
I will say I love Yokohama. Fabulous!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah. I hadn't clocked the 7-y-o part, I agree with Bozza, that would be problematic.

I really don't hold with the idea that Tokyo is more hectic than NYC though - there are lots of people but it's a lot calmer. You don't get people shouting at you if you take longer than a nano-second in ordering your lunch in a long queue for a start

Yes it's much more orderly but there are people everywhere. The locals know how to walk across the Shibuya crossing without encroaching on personal space or squeeze on to a packed tube but a tourist- especially a young child - could find that hard to deal with

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Alternatively dump your daughter at the grand parents and take me instead. I'll need entertaining and constant attention on the flight but I do know some fun places once we've landed.

I'll squeeze in the suitcase

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It's strange but I never have had a bad experience with time change but then I also keep some strange hours in the UK.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Sorry, spamming the thread but I would say I loved it out there and would take another contract there tomorrow and I have 6 & 10 year old kids

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
...as for jet lag, melatonin is the answer. Take one before you want to sleep for a few hours - whether on the plane, or at bedtime when you've arrived. I do long-haul 10-12 times a year and never travel without it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry, spamming the thread but I would say I loved it out there and would take another contract there tomorrow and I have 6 & 10 year old kids

What do you do if you don't mind me asking. PM if you prefer.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Not too worried about the jet lag myself, we have been to Thailand as a family and America (Michigan & San Fran, Vegas) and little one has coped well. To be honest she is like me and operate on 5 hours sleep much to the wife's annoyances. We are looking at airb&b in the Asakusa area and thinking of doing trips on the bullitt train to Mount Fuji etc...

The little one enjoyed Thailand and the temples, and enjoyed walking around Etna for a day so has stamina.

I am just worried that there may not be places like parks for downtime for her.

Is there a beach etc.

Thanks everyone

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Not too worried about the jet lag myself, we have been to Thailand as a family and America (Michigan & San Fran, Vegas) and little one has coped well. To be honest she is like me and operate on 5 hours sleep much to the wife's annoyances. We are looking at airb&b in the Asakusa area and thinking of doing trips on the bullitt train to Mount Fuji etc...

The little one enjoyed Thailand and the temples, and enjoyed walking around Etna for a day so has stamina.

I am just worried that there may not be places like parks for downtime for her.

Is there a beach etc.

Thanks everyone

Yokohama with the funfair and park, next to the bay is a perfect place to visit with kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here